- If your iCloud bookmarks are not syncing on Mac, this will stop you from using the Safari explorer normally.
- To solve this issue, you should start by logging out of iCloud and logging back in, and then following the next steps from this guide.
- Don't hesitate to bookmark our extensive Mac page for more useful information that's just a few clicks away.
- If you want to always be prepared with the best fixes, visit our extensive Mac Troubleshooting Hub.
Ability to sync bookmarks can be incredibly useful, but many users that iCloud Bookmarks aren’t syncing on their Mac. This can be a problem if you want to access your bookmarks on other devices, but there’s a way to fix this problem.
What to do if iCloud Bookmarks aren’t syncing?
1. Log out of iCloud and log back in
According to users, you can fix this problem simply by logging out of iCloud and logging back in. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open the Apple menu and click on System Preferences.
- Click the Apple ID and then on Overview.
- Click the Sign Out button.
- Restart your MacBook.
After doing that, wait for a minute or two and sign back into iCloud.
2. Backup and delete your bookmarks
If iCloud Bookmarks aren’t syncing, you can fix this problem by deleting the bookmark file. To do that, follow these steps:
- Turn off iCloud Safari sync on all devices.
- Now go to /Library/Safari and copy Bookmarks.plist to your desktop or any other folder.
- Delete bookmarks on all your devices.
- Turn on Safari sync on your Mac.
- Restore Bookmarks.plist back to the /Library/Safari folder.
- Turn on syncing on other devices.
3. Delete bookmarks and restore them
Several users reported that this method worked for them, so you might want to try it. Before we start, we strongly encourage you to back up your bookmarks manually. To fix the issue, you need to do the following:
- Delete all your bookmarks.
- Go to iCloud website and log in.
- Head over to the Preferences > Advanced.
- Click on Restore Bookmarks.
After doing that, your bookmarks should appear again, however, it might take you a bit longer for them to sync.
4. Temporarily turn off iCloud Bookmarks
Sometimes all that you have to do to fix this issue is to temporarily turn off iCloud Bookmarks. To do that, follow these steps:
- Close Safari.
- Go to Apple menu > System Preferences.
- Select Apple ID > iCloud.
- Uncheck Safari.
- Wait for a minute or two.
- Repeat the steps from above, but this time check Safari to enable the synchronization.
Check if the problem is still there.
In this guide we explored some of the best solutions you can try if iCloud Bookmarks aren’t syncing on your Mac.
FAQ: Learn more about iCloud bookmarks on Mac
- Are bookmarks stored in iCloud?
Your bookmarks can be stored in iCloud, but it all depends on your settings. To check or enable this option, open Safari, navigate to your settings, open the iCloud menu, and then activate the option iCloud support.
- How do I restore Safari bookmarks on Mac?
To restore your Safari bookmarks on Mac, visit the iCloud website, log in to your account, click Settings, scroll down to Advanced, and click the Restore Bookmarks option.
- How do I manage my iCloud bookmarks?
To manage your iCloud bookmarks, you will need to log in to your account, navigate to Bookmarks, and remove any bookmarks you don’t need.