- error code 0x426-0x0 can be due to a corrupted Office installation, disabled services, and conflicting AVG software.
- Repairing the Office installation is one way users can resolve error code 0x426-0x0 for opening Excel, Word, Access, and Outlook.
- Enabling certain services can fix Microsoft Word error code 0x426-0x0, and the same issue for other .
- Some users might also need to uninstall or disable certain software to get the error code 0x426-0x0 sorted.
The Microsoft Office error code 0x426-0x0 is an issue that arises for MS Office suite applications.
When some users try to open an Office application, a code 0x426-0x0 error message pops up like the one in the snapshot directly below.
Consequently, MS Office software doesn’t open when that error arises.
Why am I getting error code 0x426-0x0 in Safe Mode?
There are many Office errors that you can experience and many have reported error code 30068-39 in Office due to a bad installation. In some cases, this issue can even prevent you from installing the software.
Speaking of installation errors, many have reported Another installation is in progress Office 365 error, and this can happen if certain components aren’t properly closed.
In some instances, you might even get Microsoft Office encountered an error during setup, but this issue can be easily resolved.
How can I fix the 0x426-0x0 error code?
1. Repair the Microsoft Office suite
- First, open the Run accessory by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey that opens it.
- Next, type this command in Run’s open box:
- Click the OK option to open the Programs and Features window.
- Select your Microsoft Office suite software.
- Click the Change button to open a repair utility for MS Office.
- Select the Online Repair radio button.
- Click the Repair button.
2. Enable the Click-to-Run service
- Open the Run window.
- Type this command in Run and press Enter:
- Next, right-click the Microsoft Office Click-to-Run service and select Properties.
- Click the Startup type drop-down menu on the properties window that opens.
- Select the Automatic option.
- Click the Start option.
- Select Apply to save the changed settings.
- Then click OK to exit the properties window.
3. Turn off Windows Defender Firewall
- Open the Windows search utility by pressing the Windows and S keys at the same time.
- Type firewall in the search utility.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open that applet’s window.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open Customize Settings.
- Select both the radio buttons for the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall options.
- Press the OK button to exit the window.
Note: If disabling WDF works, that firewall was probably blocking MS Office or Click-to-Run.
You can check the app settings for WDF as outlined within our Windows Defender Firewall is blocking a port or program post.
4. Disable third-party antivirus utilities
If you’ve installed a third-party antivirus utility, disable that software by right-clicking its system tray icon.
You’ll probably be able to select a disable shield option on its system tray icon’s context menu.
Temporarily disable the antivirus utility for a few hours, and then try launching an MS Office application.
5. Uninstall AVG PC TuneUp
- Open Run’s window, and enter this command in its Open box:
- Click OK to open the Windows uninstaller.
- Select the AVG PC TuneUp utility.
- Select the Uninstall option.
- Click Yes on confirmation prompts.
- Restart your desktop or laptop after uninstalling AVG PC TuneUp.
6. Reinstall Microsoft Office
- Open the Programs and Features applet as outlined in resolution one.
- Select your MS Office suite software.
- Click Uninstall to remove the suite.
- Restart Windows after you’ve uninstalled MS Office.
- Click File Explorer’s taskbar button.
- Open the Program Files (x86) or Program Files folder in File Explorer depending on what the architecture version of your uninstalled Microsoft Office suite was.
- Select any remaining Office folders you might find by holding the Ctrl key.
- Click Delete on the Home tab.
- To open the Registry Editor, enter the following command in Run and click OK:
- Then find these registry keys in the editor’s window:
- Erase those registry keys by right-clicking them and selecting Delete.
- Thereafter, reinstall the Microsoft Office suite.
Note: Error code 0x426-0x0 can arise if there’s conflicting MS Office software installed on the same PC.
If you have an older Microsoft Office version installed, try uninstalling that first as outlined above. T
here’s also an Office uninstall support tool you can utilize for removing Office software.
Many users have confirmed those resolutions will fix error 0x426-0x0. So, give some of those resolutions a shot.
You can click Contact support on the Contact Microsoft Support page if more potential resolutions are needed.
Feel free to let us know what solution worked in your case, and if you have any other recommendations.