- Microsoft Teams is a top collaboration and remote work solution used by millions worldwide
- Millions of users engage in video calls on Teams to quickly exchange information and work on common tasks
- If you want to avoid embarrassing moments during video calls, don't forget to blur your background. In this guide, we'll show you can do that
- For more information on how to get the most out of Microsoft Teams' features, bookmark our collection of guides
Microsoft Teams is a messaging app for Windows, iOS, and Android devices. In 2018, Microsoft added a new blurred background feature to Teams. That’s a great feature for video calls that enables users to blur their backgrounds. Thus, users can essentially join their video meetings without any silly backgrounds.
There are some system requirements for Teams’ blurred background effect. The effect needs hardware with an Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (AVX2) processor. Users with hardware that don’t incorporate Advanced Vector Extensions 2 processors will not be able to utilize the blurred background effect in Teams. Teams users will also need an Office 365 subscription.
How can Users Blur Backgrounds in MS Teams?
- First, open the Teams app, which is a pretty essential (and perhaps obvious) step.
- Select a scheduled meeting to join in Teams. Note that it’s essential for the meeting to be a scheduled one.
- Press the Join button, which will open the video settings shown directly below.
- Then toggle the middle slider option to activate background blur. That should blur the background in the video before users select to join the meeting.
- Press the Join now button.
- Users can still blur videos’ backgrounds after joining meetings. To do that, click the … dots button to open a menu as in the snapshot directly below.
- Click the Blur my background option.
- Users can remove the blurred background effect by clicking the … button and selecting the Don’t blur background option.
That’s all users need to do to enable the blurred background effect in Microsoft Teams. Some users might consider blurred backgrounds to be more of a gimmick, but they might sometimes come in handy for video calls.
So, if you want to avoid any embarrassing moments during video conferences, go ahead and blur your background before joining the call.
Note: We recommend you PerfectCam that will help you blur your background during your video calls in MS Teams.
FAQ: Learn more about Microsoft Teams
- How do I change the background of Microsoft Team?
Microsoft Teams will soon support a new AI-powered feature that allows users to customize their background so as to reduce background noise and add a fully professional note to video calls. Most likely, the feature will be available from the … dots button.
- How can I blur the background of my webcam?
To blur the background of your webcam during video calls, you can use dedicated software solutions such as Chromacam, XSplit VCam, PerfectCam, and other such tools.
- How many people can attend a meeting on Microsoft Teams at the same time?
The maximum number of people attending a meeting or video conference on Microsoft Teams at the same time is 250.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2019 and has been since updated for freshness and accuracy.