- To get the best graphics performance from Minecraft, you’ll need the game to utilize the dedicated GPU on dual graphics card laptops.
- However, Minecraft will utilize integrated Intel GPUs by default on duel graphics laptops.
- For more articles on this voxel-based game, check out our Minecraft page.
- If you like games in general, then you should check out our Gaming page.
Duel graphics card laptops include an integrated Intel GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) and dedicated NVIDIA or AMD GPU. Some Minecraft players with dual graphics laptops might wonder why that game isn’t using their dedicated GPUs for better graphical performance.
Users need to configure Minecraft to utilize the dedicated GPU instead of the default Intel one.
This is how users can fix Minecraft not using a dedicated GPU
1. Select the NVIDIA GPU
- To configure Minecraft to utilize the dedicated GPU on a NVIDIA laptop, right-click the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel.
- Select Manage 3D Settings on the left of the window.
- To select NVIDIA GPU for all games, select the High-performance NVIDIA processor option on the Global Settings tab’s Preferred graphics processor drop-down menu.
- To select the NVIDIA GPU more specifically for Minecraft, click the Program Settings tab.
- Click the Add button.
- Click Browse on the Add window.
- Then open the Minecraft folder in the Add window.
- Open Minecraft’s bin subfolder, which might be at this default path: C:Program Files (x86)Minecraftruntimejre-x641.8.0_25bin.
- Select Javaw.exe in the bin folder.
- Then click the Open option.
- With the Javaw.exe path selected, click the Select the preferred graphics card for this program drop-down menu.
- Select the High-performance NVIDIA processor option.
- Press the Apply button.
Users with NVIDIA laptops can also select a High-performance NVIDIA processor context menu option. Right-click Minecraft’s icon to open its context menu.
Then select the High-performance NVIDIA processor option on the Run with Graphics processor context menu submenu.
2. Select the AMD GPU
- Minecraft players with AMD GPUs will need to right-click the desktop and select AMD Radeon Settings.
- Then click the System tab.
- Click the Switchable Graphics tab.
- Select the Installed Profile Applications option to get an overview of your installed software.
- Click the Browse option to select Javaw.exe for Minecraft.
- Click Javaw.exe to select the High Performance option for the discrete GPU.
3. Select High Performance GPU via Settings
- In addition, users can select their high performance GPU for Minecraft via Windows 10’s Settings app.
- To do that, click the Type here to search taskbar button.
- Then enter the keyword graphics settings in the search box.
- Click Graphics settings to open Settings window as shown directly below.
- Select Universal app if you got Minecraft from the MS Store.
- Click the Select an app menu to select Minecraft.
- Click the Options button for Minecraft.
- Select the High performance radio button.
- Press the Save button.
So, that’s how you can configure Minecraft to utilize a discrete GPU instead of the integrated alternative. Then you’ll get better graphics performance for Minecraft when you play it. You can also configure duel GPU graphics settings much the same for other games.
FAQ: Learn more about Minecraft
- Does Minecraft use the GPU?
It all depends on what version of Minecraft for PC you are using. For example, since the Java Edition is written in Java, it uses your CPU instead of your GPU. So, if you want Minecraft to run better, consider a CPU upgrade before all else.
- Do I need a powerful PC to run Minecraft?
Minecraft was created with the common PC user in mind, so unless you want to use advanced shader mods, you don’t need a more powerful gaming PC to run it.
- Are online Minecraft games strictly pay-to-play?
Joining the official Minecraft servers is only possible if you pay a subscription. however, LAN games are completely free.