If you experienced MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error prompts when about to install HP printer software, read on. We’ve got you covered.
Here’s what a Windows user reported to us:
Hello Windows Report,
I recently bought a new HP Officejet 6000, I wanted to install the printer software from the CD, but instead I got this error message: Fatal error MSI.netdevicemanager40. Any help pls.
The reason for this fatal error revolves round the system as well as the installation package. The Windows PC might have issues with corrupted system drivers and/or Windows registry. Also, the installation software might be faulty.
However, Windows Report team has responded to the MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error problem by enlisting germane solutions for this problem.
How can I fix MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error?
- Run SFC scan
- Uninstall any/all HP printer drivers/software
- Use CCleaner
- Disable your security software
- Run Windows Update
- Clear spooler files and restart spooler service
Method 1: Run SFC scan
Corrupt or missing system files can prevent the printer’s installation from being successful, thereby resulting in MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error.
Therefore, you can simply fix this error by using Windows built-in system file checker tool. This tool checks for file integrity violations and fixes corrupt system files.
Here’s how to run an SFC scan on your Windows 10 PC:
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator.
- Now, type the sfc /scannow command.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer.
- All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
In addition, you can also use a dedicated tool, such as Reimage Plus or TweakBit Driver to update your system drivers’ files.
- READ ALSO: Here’s how to fix error 79 on HP printers
Nevertheless, if you are still unable to install the printer installation package afterwards, you may proceed to the next method.
Method 2: Uninstall any/all HP printer drivers/software
Software conflicts might occur while attempting to install a new HP printer in the presence of already installed HP printers. In simpler term, HP applications share similar components. Therefore, when attempting to install a new HP printer, application components of preinstalled HP printers prevents ‘override’ of those components. This results in MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error.
So, you may have to uninstall all existing HP printers’ software from your Windows PC.
However, before you do this, we recommend that you remove preinstalled HP printers from available printers on your device list. Here’s how to do this:
- Go to Start > Type ‘View Devices and Printers’ without quotes, and hit ‘Enter’
- In the Printers and Faxes section, right-click on the preinstalled HP printer
- Select ‘remove printer’ option, and follow the prompts.
Afterwards, you may proceed to remove the remove existing HP printers’ software from ‘Programs and features, and then install the new one.
Here’s how to do this:
- Click Start button, and then click Control Panel.
- Click Programs and Feature, or Uninstall a Program under the Programs category.
- In the list of installed programs, search HP printer.
- Click Uninstall button which appears at the top of the program list and follow the instructions to uninstall the HP printer software.
- Restart your PC afterwards.
- Now, take out the new printer’s installation CD, and insert it into your system
- Follow the prompts to complete the new install process.
In addition, you may consider downloading Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package ; this installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications such as HP printer.
- READ ALSO: 10 best uninstaller software for PC users
Method 3: Use CCleaner
Bloated Windows registry, software leftovers, unused file extensions, missing DLLs, and activeX and class issues can cause MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error problem. Therefore, you should use CCleaner which is highly recommended to fix several system issues.
Here’s how to download, install, and use CCleaner:
- Download CCleaner free version or Download CCleaner Pro version.
- Install and follow the prompts to complete the installation.
- After installation, launch CCleaner, and then click on “Analyze” option.
- After CCleaner has finished scanning, click on “Run Cleaner”. Follow the prompts to enable CCleaner delete the temporary files.
You can also use other third-party registry cleaners. For more information on the best registry cleaners to install, check out our list.
Meanwhile, if MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error prompt persists, you may proceed to the next method.
Method 4: Disable your security software
Some Antivirus programs have ‘false positive’ issues; this implies that they perceive harmless codes as virus, and then blocks it from running. This may be the reason for MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error on your Windows PC.
- READ ALSO: What to do when antivirus blocks VPN
Therefore, you need to disable your antivirus program, install the HP printer’s software, and then enable the antivirus program afterwards.
Here’s how to temporarily disable Windows Defender:
- Right-click the Windows 10 taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Select the Task Manager’s Start-up tab shown in the shot below.
- Now select your anti-virus utility, and press the Disable button.
- The anti-virus software will no longer start when you reboot Windows.
Method 5: Run Windows Update
As we have said earlier, Microsoft Windows responds to issues like MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error by releasing patches to fix issues. In addition, constantly updating your Windows OS keeps your PC fresh and up-to-date. This also helps resolve any other issues or difficulties you may be experiencing.
Here’s how to check and install Windows Update:
- Go to Start
- In the search field, type Windows Updates
- Click on Windows Updates Settings from the search results
- Click Check for updates
- Install the latest Windows Updates
After successfully updating your Windows PC, you may proceed to install the printer installation package. But, if you still experience MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error, you may proceed to the next method.
Method 6: Clear spooler files and restart spooler service
Some Windows user were bypass MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error issue by clearing spooler files, and then restart spooler service.
Here’s how to do this:
- Click Start
- Go to the search field box and type Services
- Click Services from the search results
- Under Services, double click Print Spooler
- Select Stop then Ok
- Go to the search box again and type %WINDIR%system32spoolprinters
- Select the file folder. You need admin privileges to access it.
- Delete all the folders in the folder
- Under Services, double-click Print Spooler again
- Click Start
- Go to Startup Type list
- Select Automatic box
- Click Apply then click Ok
- Install the printer software afterwards.
In conclusion, if the solutions did not fix MSI.netdevicemanager40 fatal error problem, contact your printer’s manufacturer (HP) for more troubleshooting and support based on this error problem.
Did any of these solutions work for you? Share with us your experiences in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- HP printer firmware available with fixes for blocked non-HP ink cartridge
- How to fix printer queue in Windows 10, 8, 7
- FIX: Printer always prints 2 copies on Windows 10