- MTG Arena installation errors stop players from installing the game or its updates.
- Players can install MTGA with the MTG Arena MSI installer if the regular one doesn't install the game.
- Check out our extensive Magic: The Gathering Arena section for more MTG Arena fixes.
- Our Gaming hub also includes some MTG Arena posts.
MTG Arena is among the latest collectible card games for Windows and mobile platforms.
Even though most players can install this game without any issues, a few players have encountered install issues either when trying to install MTGA for the first time, or when updating the game.
If you need to resolve an MTG Arena installer issue, check out the potential fixes below.
How can I fix the MTG Arena Installer errors?
1. Run the MTGA installer as an administrator
- Open the folder that includes the installer.
- Right-click the MTGA installation file.
- Select the Run as administrator option to start the installation process.
2. Install the game in a new admin account
- Type Command Prompt in the search box and open it.
- Run the following command:
net localgroup Administrators user name /add(replace the user name with a title for your user account)
- Log out of Windows.
- Log into your new admin account.
3. Fix the Error reading from file error
- Some users have said an Error reading from file error message pops up when they install MTG Arena. To fix that, open File Explorer.
- Select the Hidden Items checkbox option on the View tab.
- Open this folder path:
C:/Users/ Your user/AppData/Local/Temp.
- Right-click the Temp folder and select Properties.
- Select the Security tab.
- If the Group or user names box doesn’t include System, click the Edit button.
- Next, press the Add button to open the window shown directly below.
- Type SYSTEM in the object names box, and click the OK button.
- Then select SYSTEM in the Group or user name box.
- Select the Full Control option within the Allow column.
- Click the Apply button.
- Select the OK option.
4. Launch MTGA’s MSI installer from the Command Prompt
To resolve an MTG Arena install bug from last year, MTG Arena Admin added a download link for an alternative MTGA MSI installer to the game’s forum.
Simply download the alternative installer file, and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.
5. Disable third-party antivirus utilities
Some users have confirmed they’ve fixed MTGA installation issues by disabling their antivirus software.
The exact steps to disable third-party antivirus software for a short time will differ from software to software.
You can usually turn off the protection service by right-clicking the antivirus tray icon and choosing an option like the one presented below (Avast).
6. Turn off the Windows firewall
- If you don’t have third-party antivirus software installed, try turning the Windows firewall off before installing MTG Arena. Open the search box in Windows 10.
- Type firewall in the search box.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open the Control Panel applet shown directly below.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open the options in the shot directly below.
- Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall radio buttons.
- Click the OK button.
Those are some of the best fixes for MTG Arena Installer errors. However, if further resolutions are still required, you send a support ticket at the MTG Arena’s Submit A Request page.
Don’t hesitate to contact us by using the comment section found below this guide.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, install errors can occur for MTG Arena updates. If you see the invalid command-line message, check out this thorough guide.
The MTG Arena install bug arose from a 2019 update for the game. The MTG Arena 0.17 update triggered the bug.
Yes, the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter can fix a wide variety of software installation errors.