What to do if NordVPN won’t connect after update
Using a VPN is important, but some users reported that NordVPN won’t connect after update. This can be a big problem and leave your privacy unprotected, so today we’re going to show you how to fix this problem.
Not being able to use your VPN can be a problem, and speaking of NordVPN and connection issues, here are some similar problems that users reported:
- NordVPN failed to connect login – This problem can be caused by your antivirus, so be sure that NordVPN is added to the list of exclusions in your antivirus.
- NordVPN connected but no Internet – If you’re having this problem, perhaps you can fix it simply by removing problematic applications. Simply remove the respective apps and software and the problem should completely be resolved.
- NordVPN can’t connect to any server – This is another relatively common problem with NordVPN. To fix this problem, be sure to use Command Prompt and renew your IP address.
- NordVPN won’t connect to Internet, stay connected – These are some issues that you can experience with NordVPN, but if you encounter them, be sure to try some of our solutions.
The good news is that these issues are extremely rare. NordVPN is a very reliable VPN service and technical problems are rare events.
NordVPN won’t connect after update, how to fix it?
- Check your antivirus
- Update NordVPN to the latest version
- Remove the problematic applications
- Use the browser extension
- Disable IPv6
- Reset NordVPN
- Reset TAP NordVPN adapter
- Use Command Prompt
- Reinstall NordVPN
- Contact NordVPN
Solution 1 – Check your antivirus
According to users, if you’re having problems with NordVPN, perhaps the cause is your antivirus. Sometimes NordVPN won’t connect if your antivirus is interfering with it, and in order to fix this issue, it’s advised to temporarily disable certain antivirus features. If that doesn’t work, you can try disabling your antivirus altogether.
In some instances that won’t be enough, so you might have to remove your antivirus. Bear in mind that Windows 10 has Windows Defender as its default antivirus, so even if you choose to remove a third-party antivirus, you’ll still have some form of protection.
If removing the antivirus solves the problem, perhaps this is a good time to consider switching to a different antivirus solution. There are many great antivirus tools on the market, and if you’re looking for a reliable antivirus that won’t interfere with your VPN, we suggest that you try out Bitdefender.
- READ ALSO: How to easily fix VPN error 807 on your PC
Solution 2 – Update NordVPN to the latest version
If you’re having issues with NordVPN, the best way to deal with them is to update the application to the latest version. This is fairly simple, and you can do it right from the application itself.
Several users reported that this method works, and if NordVPN won’t connect, be sure to update it to the latest version and check if that helps.
Solution 3 – Remove the problematic applications
According to users, if NordVPN won’t connect after update, it’s possible that other third-party applications are interfering with it.
To fix the issue, it’s advised to completely remove this application from your PC. There are several ways to do that, but the most effective one is to use uninstaller software such as IOBit Uninstaller.
By using the uninstaller software you’ll completely remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. By doing so, you’ll make sure that leftover files and registry entries don’t interfere with NordVPN in the future.
Once you remove the application completely, check if the problem is still there.
Some users noticed this issue occurs when they use Glasswire and NordVPN. The good news is that this problem occurs in rare cases and it’s due to hardware issues or incorrect software settings. Glasswire is a reliable tool and it’s fully compatible with Windows 10.
The company recently contacted us and provided users with an official solutions to help you fix this technical issue.
Official troubleshooting guide
For some reason, if you do a lot of host lookups, this may cause NordVPN to stop working. To fix this problem, use this solution first and foremost:
- Stop the Glasswire service in the Task Manager. Right click the bottom task bar in Windows and choose “task manager” then click on “services. Scroll to the “G” section and find GlassWire and stop it.
- Run Notepad as admin and open the config file: C:\ProgramData\GlassWire\service\glasswire.conf
- Set hostname_enable_nslookup=false
- Save the file and start the GlassWire service again by right clicking it in the task manager.
- Now GlassWire won’t look up hosts anymore, and Nord will work as usual.
If you encounter any other issues with NordVPN, you can use the Windows OS built-in VPN settings instead of the settings that the tool comes with.
Anyway, this quick solution should be enough to solve the problem.
Solution 4 – Use the browser extension
If NordVPN won’t connect after update, it’s possible to avoid this issue with this little workaround. According to users, it seems that NordVPN can only connect to a server once, but if you disconnect from the server, you won’t be able to connect until you restart your PC.
This can be a big problem, but many users reported that the browser extension works without any problems. So if you’re having problems with NordVPN, try using the browser extension until you manage to find a permanent solution.
Solution 5 – Disable IPv6
According to users, if NordVPN won’t connect after update, it’s possible that the problem is caused by IPv6. In case you don’t know, there are two IP address standards, IPv4 and IPv6, and sometimes the latter can be a problem.
Several users reported that they fixed the problem with NordVPN simply by disabling IPv6 altogether on their PC. This is actually quite simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Click the network icon on your Taskbar. Select your network from the menu.
- New window will now appear. Click the Change adapter options in the right pane.
- You should now see a list of available network connections on your PC. Right-click your network connection and choose Properties from the menu.
- Locate Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) on the list and uncheck it. Now click OK to save changes.
After doing that, the IPv6 will be disabled and the problem with NordVPN should be resolved. Bear in mind that you might have to restart your PC in order to apply changes.
Solution 6 – Reset NordVPN
If NordVPN won’t connect after update, it’s possible that one of your settings is causing the issue. To fix the problem, you need to restore all your settings in NordVPN to the default. This is fairly simple to do, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open NordVPN and go to Settings.
- Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on Show advanced settings. Now click on I know what I’m doing
- Scroll down to the Diagnostics section and click the Run Diagnostics Tool.
- A new window will now appear. Click on Reset NordVPN
- Wait for a few moments for the process to complete.
Once the process is finished, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 7 – Reset TAP NordVPN adapter
Sometimes issues with NordVPN can occur due to its virtual adapter. If NordVPN won’t connect, it’s advised that you restart your network adapter. You can do that by following these steps:
- Follow the steps 1-2 from Solution 5.
- Now you should see TAP NordVPN Windows adapter on the list of available connections. Right-click the adapter and choose Disable from the menu.
- Wait for a few moments, right-click the adapter again and choose Enable from the menu.
Once you enable the adapter, the problem should be resolved and you’ll be able to use NordVPN again.
Solution 8 – Use Command Prompt
According to users, if NordVPN won’t connect after update, the issue might a glitch with your network connection. However, you can fix the problem by renewing your IP address. This is fairly simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Choose Command Prompt (Admin) or PowerShell (Admin) from the list.
- Now run the following commands:
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh interface ipv4 reset
- netsh interface ipv6 reset
- netsh winsock reset catalog
- netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
- netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
After running these commands, check if the problem is still there. Bear in mind that you might have to restart your computer in order to apply changes.
Solution 9 – Reinstall NordVPN
In some instances, a corrupted installation can lead to this problem. If NordVPN won’t connect, it’s possible that your installation is damaged. This can happen for various reasons, and in order to fix the problem, it’s advised that you reinstall NordVPN.
There are several ways to do that, but the best method is to use uninstaller software. To learn more about uninstaller software, we advise you check out Solution 3 for more information. Once you reinstall NordVPN, check if the problem is still there.
Solution 10 – Contact NordVPN
If the problem still persists, perhaps it would be best to contact NordVPN directly. Several users reported that NordVPN sent them a patch, so if you’re having issues with NordVPN, be sure to contact their support team and they will help you fix the problem.
If NordVPN support can’t fix the issue, perhaps this is a good time to consider an alternative. If you want a VPN that won’t interfere with your system, we strongly suggest that you consider CyberGhost VPN. Its new version (CyberGhost 7) is highly optimized for a better functionality on any machine.
NordVPN is a great VPN client, but if NordVPN won’t connect, it’s rather likely that a third-party application is interfering with it. If other applications aren’t the problem, be sure to try all other solutions from this article.
- FIX: VPN domain’s tap device is down on Hamachi VPN
- What to do if VPN freezes on verifying username and password
- VPN blocked by administrator? Here’s how to fix it
Microsoft has just showed users a little more of what the 19H1 update has in store for Windows 10. Revamped storage is one of the […]
Adobe Premiere Pro is one of the best video editing tools on the market, but some users reported Adobe Premiere Pro couldn’t find any valid […]