There is not enough memory to complete this operation error can interfere with your everyday activities and cause various problems on your PC. The problem of insufficient memory is very well known among Windows 10 users and in fact, you can find dozens of posts and discussions in forums where many ask for solutions for this error.
Regarding the solutions for the problem, below we have listed the ones that we believe to be the most effective and that (at least in our experience) can temporarily solve the problem.
How can I fix There is not enough memory to complete this operation error?
1. Increase paging file (virtual memory)
When the RAM isn’t able to handle all the requests, the PC will use the paging file (virtual memory) in order to temporarily store the additional data. Very often this paging file is not managed correctly, so you’ll need to manage it manually. On Windows 10, follow the next steps to do so:
- Do the search for Performance.
- Click on the Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
- From the window that opens, navigate to the Advanced tab.
- Click on Change and the virtual memory screen will open.
- Select the disk (preferably not C: or even an SSD type disk) and then at the bottom choose to set the Custom size. In the two boxes (initial and final dimensions) enter the same value in MB.
- Click on Set, then click on OK at the bottom.
- Restart your PC to apply the changes.
2. Check apps and extensions
There is not enough memory to complete this operation can sometimes appear due to certain applications or extensions. Try to remember which app or extension you installed before this error appeared and try to uninstall it to see if that was the real cause.
To remove an application, the best method is to use uninstaller software such as Revo Uninstaller. By using uninstaller software, you’ll ensure that the selected application is completely removed from your PC.
- Get Revo Uninstaller Pro version
If you use browser extensions, you would do well to turn off all installed extensions and reactivate them only when you need them since many plugins cause high RAM usage.
3. Update Windows
Access the Windows 10 Settings app and check for updates that are not yet installed. These updates may fix various Windows 10 bugs and therefore positively impact the use of your PC‘s RAM.
4. Add RAM
If There is not enough memory to complete this operation error still appears, perhaps the cause can be the lack of RAM. In this case, you can buy a new memory module and install it on your PC (there are many video tutorials on YouTube that explain how to do it, step by step).
We hope that our guide was useful. If you solved the problem using our solutions, let us know in the comments section below.