- When the number pad is not working in Windows 10, the problem might be with the Num Lock key, so be sure to check it.
- Certain settings can cause this and many other keyboard-related issues on your PC.
- A quick workaround for this problem is to use an on-screen keyboard if you're in a hurry.
Have you tried using the number pad on your PC and for some reason it’s not working? You don’t need to worry because we will show you how to easily restore its functionality.
For this purpose, you need to make sure that the NumLock key is activated. Since this is not a primary key, it’s usually trickier to see it, but it’s easy to use this function.
Assuming that you’ve already checked this detail and confirmed that the key isn’t actually stuck, there are a few other things you can do.
Join us while we take a closer look at the keyboard issues, and try to find out why the number pad is not working on Windows 10.
Why isn’t the number pad working on my keyboard?
There are numerous reasons, but the most common one is because the Num Lock key isn’t pressed. To use these keys for input, first, they need to be enabled properly.
In some instances, is possible that your settings are interfering with the numpad. Lastly, be sure to check if all the necessary drivers are working properly.
Do all keyboards have number pad?
No, not every keyboard has a number pad. Only the full-size keyboards have this feature, but since many don’t use it frequently, some manufacturers aren’t adding it to their devices.
This is especially true for mechanical keyboards since they are more expensive to produce and have a feature that only a fraction of users enjoy on regular basis. This ends up raising the price of the end product.
What can I do if my keyboard number pad isn’t working?
Expert Tip: Some PC issues are hard to tackle, especially when it comes to corrupted repositories or missing Windows files. If you are having troubles fixing an error, your system may be partially broken. We recommend installing Restoro, a tool that will scan your machine and identify what the fault is.
Click here to download and start repairing.
If for some reason the on-screen keyboard isn’t working for you, you should try using specialized software such as Comfort On-Screen Keyboard Pro instead.
2. Make sure that the Num Lock is pressed
- On your keyboard, locate the Num Lock key. You can find in the top left corner of your number pad.
- Press the key. The light next to it should turn on.
- Try using your numpad.
3. Turn off Mouse Keys
- Press Windows Key + S to open Search.
- Type Ease of Access and select Ease of Access keyboard settings.
- Go to the Find a setting field.
- Type mouse keys and select Turn Mouse Keys on or off.
- Make sure that Control your mouse with keypad is set to off.
4. Update/reinstall your keyboard driver
- Press Windows Key + X and select Device Manager from the list.
- Expand the Keyboards section, right-click your keyboard, and select Update driver.
- Now select Search automatically for drivers.
- Wait while the process is finished.
In some instances, reinstalling the driver might help, and you can do that by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X and select Device Manager.
- Locate the keyboard driver.
- Right-click it and choose Uninstall device.
- Now click on Uninstall once again to confirm.
- Restart your PC.
5. Use a different keyboard
- Disconnect your keyboard and connect it to a different port.
- In case the problem is still there, connect your keyboard to a different PC.
- If the issue persists, it means your keyboard is faulty, so be sure to replace it.
Should I buy a keyboard with a number pad?
The number pad isn’t an essential feature, and unless you’re working with numbers and performing calculations frequently, there’s no need to have it.
Keyboards without this feature take less space, which is important to some users, plus they are more affordable. If you need a number pad, you can always buy it separately.
How can I test if my keyboard keys are working?
To test if your keys are working, just open a new document and start typing. Although this is the simplest method, it’s not always the most reliable, especially when working with special keys.
To properly test your keys, we suggest using one of many available keyboard testing websites. They work with special keys, so you’ll always know if your keys are working properly.
Above you have a couple of solutions on how to fix your number pad if it is not functioning properly on your Windows 10 device.
Keep in mind that if you have a hardware failure on the keyboard then it would be best to purchase a new PC keyboard and replace your old one.
Have you found other ways to fix this issue on your PC? If so, please let us know in the comments.