- Connection to the KMS server could have two main culprits: either the client computer has an issue or the server has an internet connectivity problem.
- Command prompt commands and Event logs on either the client, the server or both, are the main ways to find your specific issue.
- There are a lot more tips and guides on Microsoft Office if you need more help.
- For other connection issues and Internet problems, don't hesitate to check our special troubleshooting hub with a lot more fixes.
Sometimes when you are installing Office on your Windows machine your work is interrupted by the connection to KMS server failed error. Here are some solutions for when this happens.
How do I troubleshoot KMS activation issues?
1. Check you Internet connection
- Open the Start Menu.
- Type in cmd.
- Double click on Command Prompt.
- In Command Prompt window, enter ping google.com -n 25 .
Sometimes the error shows only because the internet connection is spotty. If everything looks good, you can proceed with the next steps.
2. Check if the computer is activated
- On the KMS client, open System control panel.
- Search for Windows is activated message.
If it is not activated, you need to do this first and then proceed to activating your Office copy. Still having issues? Then see how to fix Windows activation errors.
Before activating your Office copy, we need to make sure that on the client computer, Windows is activated.
3. Check if you have more than 25 clients
- Open Command Prompt window as admin.
- Run slmgr.vbs /dli command to check if the threshold is met. Currently the threshold is 5 for Server editions and 25 for everything else.
4. Check if the client communicated with the host
On the KMS host computer, look in the Application event log for event ID 12290. Check this log for requests made by the client computer. If there are no requests, it means that the client could not communicate with the host.
5. Open the right port
- Run as administrator the Command Prompt.
- In the cmd window, enter slmgr.vb /dlv command.
- Look for Listening on Port.
Make sure that there are no firewall rules that block TCP traffic on the KMS port. The default port value is 1688. If you don’t know the port you can find that out on your host computer.
6. Configure DNS properly for multiple KMS hosts
- Make sure the all the computers are on the same Active Directory Domain Services domain.
- In the Active Directory Domain Service create a global security group.
- Add each computer running KMS in the newly created global security group.
- Set permissions to enable updates by members of this new group on the DNS server.
When using KMS, the host computer must be discoverable in your local network. The first host computer automatically publishes it’s existence when it creates a SRV record on the DNS server.
The rest of the hosts cannot change or update SRC if the DNS server is not configured properly.
7. Newly added computers do not increase the KMS count
- On the client computer, open the search bar.
- Type cmd.
- Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- In the Command Prompt window type sysprep /generalize to reset the client computer ID. If that doesn’t work, try slmgr /rearm.
Sometimes client computers look identical to the host and therefore it doesn’t count them as separate.
Finally, if you are still having issues, you can switch to an AD-based activation by following the official documentation.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, don’t hesitate to reach for the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about KMS Server
- How can I check my KMS server status?
On your KMS server you can run the cscript slmgr.vbs /dli command in order to pull some statistic. Be careful that the KMS is a stateless system so there are no real reporting capabilities.
- How do I force KMS activation?
In an admin elevated command prompt you need to run cscript slmgr.vbs -ato command to activate the computer with the KMS server.
- How often does a KMS client attempt to renew the activation?
Every 7 (seven) days the KMS client computer attempts to renew the activation.