4 best open source antivirus for PC for carefree cyber-threat protection
Open source antivirus software can detect lots of types of malicious software. Experienced developers of open source software and experts in the field on antivirus programs and research, network security and computer security will now best the meaning of open source software for securing systems that are connected to the Internet.
An open source antivirus denotes a program for which the original source code is made available for free, and it may be modified and redistributed.
We gathered five of the best open source antivirus programs to make your choice more comfortable.
This is an open source antivirus for servers and PCs that protects systems from any viruses and malware. The solution is, of course, available for Windows machines and it is created with a web-based central administration console. The software can be used remotely from any location via an intuitive interface, and it will provide access to lots of features.
Check out its best features below:
- This software offers traditional signature-based malware detection.
- It comes with both ClamAV signatures and YARA rules support.
- You will get innovative heuristic detection modules for binaries and PDF documents.
- Armadito Antivirus provides real-time protection on Windows.
- The software includes the ability to quarantine specific zones, and it provides alerts transmission and events journal.
- The modular architecture of this software allows to easily integrate the newest detection algorithms.
- Security experts will be able to concentrate on anti-malware techniques only by developing their modules in C.
- This is an open source solution that allows third-parties to review the codes and eliminate development flaws resulting in a more secure code.
- Armadito Antivirus comes with a user-friendly interface that provides a secure setup and runs functions that will allow you to check out your machine’s and server’s status instantly.
The dashboard offers access to on-demand scanning, real-time protection, threat detection journal, technical support and more features.
You can check out all features that are included in this software by heading to Armadito Antivirus official website.
This is another open source antivirus software that includes more projects available for developers who wish to add their contributions and improve the software.
Check out some of the projects and features included in OpenAntiVirus below:
- The software includes VirusHammer which is a standalone virus scanner that is supposed to be run by end users.
- Other projects include ScannerDaemon, and PatternFinder and these are some other tools that provide antivirus protection.
- Squid-vscan is another software that lets you scan all traffic that is going through the famous Squid HTTP-Proxy for known malware and viruses.
OpenAntiVirus Project is based on the fact that successful open source software provides enhanced portability, scalability, reliability, and effectiveness. This is a platform for people who are really interested and enthusiast about antivirus research, computer, and network security.
You will be able to use an integrative platform for various developing projects that are related to virus protection and computer security.
You can check out more features and details regarding the projects included in OpenAntiVirus on the platform.
ClamAV is another open source antivirus engine targeted at detecting viruses, Trojans, malware and other kinds of malicious threats.
Check out the best features and functionalities that are included in ClamAV:
- ClamAV is the open source standard for mail gateway scanning programs.
- It includes a multi-threaded scanner daemon and command line utilities for on-demand file scanning and also for automatic signature updates as well.
- ClamAV offers support for various file formats, file and archive unpacking and various signature languages.
- Being an open source program, you will get access to ClamAV versions that work with your operating system.
- ClamAV can be used for multiple situations including web scanning, email scanning, and endpoint security as well.
- It provides a command-line scanner and an advanced database updater with support for scripted updates and digital signatures.
- The virus database is updated multiple times a day.
- ClamAV comes with built-in support for various archive formats and document formats.
You can check out more features and details about ClamAV on the official website and decide if this open source antivirus solution is appropriate for you.
- ALSO READ: 7 of the best antivirus for slow computers
ClamWin is a free antirust software for Windows, and the program is being used by more than 600,000 users worldwide on a daily basis. It includes an easy installer and open source code.
You will be able to download ClamWin for free, but first, make sure to check out its best features:
- It provides high detection rates for viruses and spyware.
- ClamWin also includes a scanning scheduler.
- You will be able to enjoy automatic downloads of regularly updated Virus Database.
- ClamWin provides a standalone virus scanner, and it also comes with right-click menu integration to Microsoft Windows Explorer.
- The software offers an add-on to Microsoft Outlook that is able to remove virus-infected attachments instantly and automatically.
It’s important to note that ClamWin Free Antivirus doesn’t come with an on-access real-time scanner. This means that you will need to manually scan a file in order to find a virus or potential spyware. You can check out more features that are included in ClamWin Free Antivirus on its official website.
In our opinion, these are some of the best open source antivirus programs that you can currently find out there. All these four open source antivirus programs are great and you can go for each of them because they all come with robust sets of useful features.
Anyway, we recommend that before you make your final decision, you head over to their official website and check out the complete list of detailed features so that you’ll be able to make an informed decision.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
Open source antivirus software for Windows PCs
Microsoft rolled out the second patch for Windows 10 v1803. Update KB4100403 brings only a few bug fixes to the table, and doesn’t add any […]
Microsoft recently rolled out a new cumulative update for Windows 10 version 1803. Update KB4100403 doesn’t bring any new features, adding only improvements and bug fixes […]
Microsoft recently rolled out Windows 10 Fall Creators Update KB4103714 adding a series of useful fixes and improvements to the table. While Microsoft is not aware […]