- TGA files are a raster graphic format created by Truevision, so naturally not any average image viewer can open them.
- Below we will be looking over several programs that are capable of opening TGA files.
- For example, Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.NET, along with other similar tools are eligible for this list.
- More guides like this one can be found in our dedicated File Opener Page.
TGA is an image file with the Truevision Graphics Adapter format. That’s an image file format which Truevision established in the ’80s. With its lossless compression, the TGA format is ideal for images such as line drawings and icons. Game publishers also utilize the TGA format for texture files.
Use these tools to open TGA files on Windows 10
- Open TGA Files With an Image Editor
- TGA Viewer
- Universal File Opener Software
- Convert TGA Images to JPG Format
As TGA is an image format, you can open it much the same as a JPG, GIF , or PNG photo. However, TGA is not as widely supported as the JPG or GIF formats. Windows’ Paint editor doesn’t open TGA files.
Nevertheless, you can still open TGA images with a solid image editor like Adobe Photoshop.
This product is specially designed to not only open all manner of image file formats (including TGA), but you can also edit them in whatever ways you want.
2. Open TGA Images With TGA Viewer
If you don’t need to edit a TGA image, check out the TGA Viewer software. That’s freeware software specifically designed to open TGA files.
You can add that program to Windows by clicking the Download TGA viewer Setup link on this page, and then run through its setup wizard.
TGA Viewer doesn’t include lots of options, but its users can open TGAs, zoom in and out of pictures, adjust image dimensions and save the TGA files to alternative formats with the software.
3. Open TGA Pictures With Universal File Viewer Software
File Viewer Plus is a universal file viewer for Windows that can open and display over 300 different file types. You can also edit files, save your changes, and batch convert files to several different file formats.
Open TGA files, view, edit and convert to JPEG, PNG, TIFF, GIF, BMP, JPEG2000 just as easy as drag-and-drop. We recommend this program and you can test it straight away by downloading the fully-functional trial.
Universal Viewer is one freeware file opener you can utilize to open TGA images with.
Click Zip package on this webpage to save the freeware Universal Viewer’s ZIP file to Windows. You’ll need to decompress that ZIP by opening it in File Explorer and selecting the Extract all option.
Press the Browse button to select a path to extract the ZIP to, and then click the Extract button. Open Universal Viewer from the extracted folder.
4. Convert TGA Images to JPG Format
If you need to open a TGA image in software that doesn’t support the format, you can convert the file to JPG format. Then you’re not really opening a TGA file, but you can at least still open the same image as a JPG with the software you need to.
When you’ve edited it, you can always convert the picture back to the TGA format. This is how you can convert TGA files to JPGs with the Convertio web tool.
- First, open the Convertio web app page in your browser by clicking this hyperlink.
- Press the From Computer to select a TGA file to convert to JPG.
- Click the Convert button to initiate the conversion.
- Press the Download button to save the new JPG file to a folder.
- Then you can open the JPG image in your first choice editing software.
So you can open TGA images in Windows 10 with Paint.NET, TGA Viewer and Universal Viewer. However, there are still quite a few more programs that support that file format.
Some of the photo viewers included in this software guide also open TGA files.
- What is a TGA file?
A TGA file is a file saved in the raster graphic format created by Truevision, which allows any raster-based image editor to open it easily.
- What can open TGA files?
TGA files can be opened with programs like Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Paint.NET, Corel PaintShop Pro, TGA Viewer, and other popular image editors.
- How do I edit a TGA file?
Simply use a good image editor that supports the TGA file format.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.