Users who utilize Outlook with Exchange Server can usually download an offline address book. That enables them to access the contact details within it even when not connected with Exchange Server.
However, some Outlook users might not always be able to download that offline address book when errors arise. Error 0X80072f06 is one Outlook Exchange sync issue that stops the OAB downloading.
What can I do if Outlook’s Offline Address Book isn’t downloading?
1. Manually update the Offline Address Book
- First, try manually updating the Offline Address Book. To do so in Outlook 2010-16, click the Send/Receive tab.
- Then click Send/Receive and the Download Address Book option.
- On the Offline Address Book window, select the Download changes since last Send/Receive option.
- Select Offline Global Address List on the drop-down menu, and press the OK button.
2. Check that Cached Exchange Mode is enabled
- Cached Exchange Mode needs to be enabled for Exchange Server. To check that is the case, click the File tab in Outlook.
- Click Account Settings in Outlook twice.
- Then click Change on the Account Settings window.
- Select the Use Cached Exchange Mode setting shown directly below if it’s not already checked.
- Thereafter, restart Outlook.
3. Check that the BITS service is enabled
- The BITs service needs to be enabled and running for the Outlook Address Book. To check if that service is enabled, press the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Enter ‘service’ in the Run box and click OK to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the Automatic option for the startup type.
- Click the Start button.
- Click the Apply button.
- Press OK to exit the window.
4. Rename the Outlook Address Book folder
- Renaming the Outlook Address Book will refresh the OAB files, which is another potential resolution. Open File Explorer with the Windows key + E hotkey.
- Open this folder path in File Explorer: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\MicrosoftOutlook.
- Then right-click the Offline Address Book folder and select the Rename option.
- Edit the folder title to: Offline Address Books.old.
- Then click the Update Folder option on Outlook’s Send/Receive tab.
5. Set up a new Outlook profile
- The Offline Address Book not downloading might be due to a corrupted Outlook profile. To set up a new one, open the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel’s Category view, click Mail to open the window shown directly below.
- Press the Show Profiles button.
- Click Add to open a New Profile window.
- Enter the new profile title in the text box, and click the OK button.
- Enter the email account details in the Add account window.
- Press the Finish button.
- Then select the Always use this profile option on the Mail window to select the new profile.
- Click the Apply and OK buttons.
In the end, make sure that the latest Office version is installed. To do that, open an Office application and select File > Account. Then select Update Now on the Update Options menu.
Those are some of potential resolutions that might fix the Offline Address Book so that you can download it again. Anybody who has fixed the same issue with another resolution not listed above is more than welcome to share that fix below.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to fix Outlook error 0x800ccc0e on Windows 10
- FIX: The RPC server is unavailable Outlook error
- How to fix Outlook’s action cannot be completed error