There are times when Outlook users can’t always reply to emails immediately. For example, most Outlook users probably won’t be able to reply to their emails when they’re on vacations.
So, it can be a good idea to set up an on vacation (or out-of-office) email reply before you go on holiday. Then anybody who sends a message to you when you’re away will get an automated on vacation or out-of-office reply that explains you’re currently unavailable.
There are two ways you can set up an automated on vacation message in Outlook. Users utilizing Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, and 2010 with Exchange Accounts can set up out-of-office messages with an Automatic Replies option.
However, not all Outlook users can select that option, and those who can’t will need to setup an on vacation message with an email rule.
How do I leave an out-of-office message in Outlook?
1. Set up an out-of-office reply with the Automatic Replies option
- Click the File tab in Outlook.
- Press the Automatic Replies button.
- Select the Send automatic replies radio button.
- Next, enter the email’s message in the Inside My Organization tab’s text box.
- Click OK to save the out-of-office email.
2. Set up an out-of-office reply with a rule
- To set up an out-of-office reply with an email rule, open Outlook’s message text editor.
- Enter the message body and subject for the out-of-office email.
- Click File and Save As.
- Enter a file title to save the email as.
- Select Outlook Template (*.odt) on the drop-down menu.
- Press the Save button.
- Next, click the File tab.
- Click the Manage Rules & Alerts button to open the Rules & Alerts window.
- Click the New Rule button, which opens the Rules Wizard.
- Click the Apply rule on messages I receive option, and press the Next button.
- Click Next again, and select Yes to confirm when asked to apply rule to all messages.
- Select the reply using a specific template check box.
- Click the path link in the Step 2 box.
- Select the Under Templates in File System option in the Look in drop-down menu.
- Select the email template you saved for the on vacation email.
- Press the Open button.
- Click Next, and then you can select some optional exceptions.
- Press the Next button again. Enter a title for the rule.
- Press the Finish button to exit.
3. Set up an out-of-office email in Outlook.com
- To set up an on vacation email in the Outlook web app, click the Settings button at the top right of the app’s window.
- Click View all Outlook settings to open the window shown directly below.
- Click the Automatic replies tab.
- Select the Turn on automatic replies option.
- Select the Send replies only during a time period setting, and input the start and end dates for that period.
- Enter an email message in the text box.
- Click the Save button.
So, that’s how you can set up your on vacation email in Outlook. Those who send you emails will then receive an automated reply informing them that you’re currently away for a specified time period.
For additional questions and suggestions, don’t hesitate to reach for the comments section below.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to download Outlook contacts and the Distribution List
- How to download Microsoft Outlook emails to Excel
- How to convert a Microsoft Outlook PST file to OST easily