- PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA is quite a unique error since it can be related to both hardware and software, so if you have recently changed any hardware, you might want to remove it and to see if the problem persists.
- This error is commonly associated with your RAM, so it won’t hurt to test it. To do that, you will need to download Memtest86+ and burn it to a CD or put it on a USB flash drive. Read the details in our guide below.
- Read all there is to know about blue screen of death in our BSoD Troubleshooting Hub.
- Windows 10 can hurt you with an error from time to time, but we've cartographed all of them in our Windows 10 errors Hub.
BSoD errors also known as Blue Screen of Death errors usually occur when there’s a major error with your computer.
The PC shuts down giving you BSoD in order to prevent potential damage to your hardware.
There are all sorts of BSoD errors and today we’re going to show you how to fix PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA BSoD error in Windows 10.
How can I fix PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA errors?
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA is quite a unique error since it can be related to both hardware and software.
So if you have recently changed any hardware, you might want to remove it and to see if the problem persists. If that doesn’t help maybe you should try some of the following solutions:
Solution 1 – Test your RAM
This error is commonly associated with your RAM, so it won’t hurt to test it.
- Download Memtest86+.
- After you’ve downloaded it, you can burn it to a CD or put it on a USB flash drive.
- You need to make sure that your CD-ROM or USB is set as first boot device in BIOS.
- Make sure that your CD or USB is inserted and restart your computer.
- Memtest86+ should open and you can start testing your RAM memory. This process can take a while, from 10 to 30 minutes, sometimes even more, so please wait patiently.
- If no errors are found this means that your RAM is functional and something else is causing the problem.
As we mentioned before PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA can be a tricky error and it can commonly be associated with certain software or even display or audio driver.
Solution 2 – Remove or update problematic software
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (cpuz138_x64.sys) error , for example, is caused by a software called Speccy and it’s advised that you update the software that is causing your computer to crash.
If updating the software doesn’t help you might have to uninstall it until the developers fix this issue.
One common software-related error is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (applecharger.sys).
This error is caused by an application called ON/OFF developed by Gigabyte. Just uninstall this app in order to resolve this problem.
Solution 3 – Uninstall, rollback or update your audio or display driver
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA(usbaudio.sys) usually means that your audio driver is causing these problems, so you might want to rollback your audio driver or even uninstall it.
To do so do the following:
- Open Device Manager and find your audio or display driver.
- Right-click it and choose Uninstall if you want to use the default driver, or Rollback Driver if you want to use the previous version of drivers.
- If you choose to uninstall drivers select Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.
- Now you should be using default or previous version of drivers depending on your choice.
If the problem still persists, you might want to visit your graphic card manufacturer or sound card manufacturer and download latest Windows 10 drivers.
Solution 4 – Update your OS
If you’re not running the latest Windows 10 OS version, you may want to check for updates. The latest OS versions are fully optimized for making the OS more stable and reliable.
You may also want to disconnect all peripheral devices when booting up your computer since this error is usually triggered by incompatible or faulty hardware.
PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA errors can be tricky since they can be caused by software, hardware , or a bad driver.
So if you try to fix them make sure that you keep a close eye on the brackets next to an error because it usually points out to a file that is causing these issues.
FAQ: Read more about the PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA error
- How do I fix page fault in nonpaged area error?
First, test your RAM, then, remove or update problematic software. If it sounds too complicated, read our complete fix to this problem.
- What causes page fault in nonpaged area?
- What is a page fault error?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in February 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.