- Whenever you upgrade your PC to Windows 10, there are bound to be a few incompatibilities as far as hardware is concerned, just like the Atikmdag Sys BSoDs
- ATI Radeon aren't the only graphics card manufacturers out there, with Intel and Nvidia also holding quite a large share of the market as well
- This article is part of our special hub for Troubleshooting BSOD Problems, so make sure keep them at hand
- We have a dedicated Atikmdag Sys Section where you can find more useful articles
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Atikmdag.sys.
If you’re getting this error, you’re in the right place. We have come with the right fix to solve this BSOD problem.
Windows users reported experiencing atikmdag.sys BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) errors especially after upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 OS. This BSOD error prevents Windows PCs from booting normally.
Atikmdag.sys is a .sys file associated with ATI Radeon Family which was developed by Advanced Mirco Devices, Inc. (AMD) for Windows OS. However, we have identified possible reasons for atikmdag.sys BSOD problem which includes:
- Virus or malware infection
- Corrupt or old ATI Radeon device drivers
- Missing or corrupt Windows registry keys
- Damaged hard disk
- Recent system changes
- Corrupt HDD
How do I fix atikmdag.sys BSOD errors?
1. Run a full system scan
- Go to Start > type defender > double click Windows Defender to launch the tool.
- In the left-hand pane, select the shield icon.
- In the new window, click the Advanced scan option.
- Check the full scan option to launch a full system malware scan.
Viruses and malware can cause the atikmdag.sys BSOD error problem. Run a full system scan on your PC to remove every possible virus corruption. There are several third-parties antivirus software around that you may use.
We strongly suggest you check out some of the best antivirus software for your Windows PC and install them on your computer.
Note: If you are done scanning your PC, it is advisable that you remove all detected viruses; the option may be “clean” or “delete” depending on the Antivirus that you are using.
2. Repair PC Registry
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator.
- Now, type the sfc /scannow command.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer.
- All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
The utility program verifies the integrity of all system files and repairs files with problems when possible.
3. Update your Windows OS
- Go to Start>type update in the search box and then click on Windows Update to proceed.
- In the Windows Update window, check for updates and install the available updates.
- After the update is complete, restart your Windows PC.
In addition, you can fix atikmdag.sys BSOD error problem by updating your Windows 10 OS to the latest version.
Microsoft constantly releases Windows updates so as to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues and errors associated with the startup error.
4. Update ATI Radeon drivers
Obsolete or old ATI Radeon family device drivers could probably be responsible for atikmdag.sys BSOD problem. You can update your PC’s graphics driver by following these steps:
- Press the Windows and R key to launch the Run program.
- In the Run windows, type devmgmt.msc and click OK to open the Device Manager.
- From the Device Manager left panel, expand the Display adapters category and right-click on the video card
- Select Update Driver and follow the prompts to apply the update.
- Finally, after video driver on your PC has been updated, restart your PC.
Another way by which you can update ATI Radeon driver(s) is by visiting AMD website so as to download and install the video card driver for your PC’s model.
5. Perform System Restore in Safe Mode
- Shut down your PC and turn it on again.
- Navigate to the Run in Safe Mode option and hit Enter.
- Go to Start > Type system restore and then hit Enter.
- Follow the prompts to revert back to a certain restore point.
- Wait for the process to complete, and then reboot.
Running system restore can also fix the error problem on your Windows PC. Safe mode is a diagnostics mode in Windows which starts your PC with only basic files and drivers running.
However, you can perform system restore in safe mode to revert back to a certain restore point on your system devoid of the error message display on startup.
Note: Ensure you are able to identify the restore point date before the error message started. System restore does not affect any of your files, documents, and personal data.
6. Run CHDSK
- Boot from Windows bootable installation DVD.
- When prompted, press any key to boot from CD or DVD.
- Select your language preferences, and click “Next”.
- Now, click on Repair your computer.
- Hence, click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Command Prompt.
- Hence, type CHKDSK C: /F without quotes in the Command Prompt.
- Then type CHKDSK C: /R without quotes in the Command Prompt and hit Enter key.
- After the process has been completed, restart your PC.
7. Replace RAM/HDD
If you are unable to solve the error problem using any of the fixes above (which is quite unlikely), there is a possibility that your system’s RAM/HDD is faulty.
If the new PC is unable to identify and access the HDD, then you definitely need to replace it with a new one. But, if you can access the HDD on the new PC, then you should replace the RAM because it is the faulty component.
You can purchase new RAM/HDD from your PC manufacturer online retailing website, Amazon or from your local computer shop. However, we highly recommended that you can carry out the replacement by a professional – computer engineer.
7. Clean Install Windows 10 OS
Another way of fixing this error problem is to perform a clean install of Windows OS on your PC. However, this method will clear all pre-installed apps, files, and folders but it will solve atikmdag.sys BSOD problem regardless of this.
Meanwhile, you can visit the official Microsoft installation media for a guide on how to clean install Windows 10 Operating System.
FAQ: Learn more about Atikmdag Sys
- Can I delete Atikmdag Sys?
- What is Atikmpag Sys?
- Can Nvidia Graphics Cards encounter the Atikmpag Sys issue?
By following the methods listed above you should be able to get rid of any Atikmdag Sys issues you may have encountered while upgrading your Windows PC.
If you know of any other method that works that we may have missed out on, do not hesitate to leave us a message in the comments section below. We will then take your feedback and update the article accordingly.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in November 2017 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.