- Upgrading to Windows 10 is only one of the causes that generate the atikmdag.sys error.
- To solve this issue, you may need to take actions involving your system Registry, but we have alternatives for you.
- You can also try the specialized tool we recommend and save time getting rid of the atikmdag.sys bsod problem.
- A device component might be at fault, and with our guide you'll know how to go about it.
Windows users reported experiencing atikmdag.sys BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) errors especially after upgrading from Windows 7 or Windows 8 to Windows 10 OS. This BSOD error prevents Windows PCs from booting normally.
Atikmdag.sys is a .sys file associated with ATI Radeon Family which was developed by Advanced Mirco Devices, Inc. (AMD) for Windows OS.
However, we have identified possible reasons for atikmdag.sys BSOD problem which includes: virus or malware infection, corrupt or old ATI Radeon device drivers.
Some other causes also include missing or corrupt Windows registry keys, damaged hard disk, recent system changes or even corrupt HDD.
How do I fix atikmdag.sys BSOD errors?
1. Use a third-party BSoD fixer
We recommend you to use a professional tool you can rely on when it comes to repairing or replacing damaged files, preventing and fixing BSoD errors, and even restoring your PC to its best state so it can function at optimum capacity.
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for the software to identify stability issues and possible corrupted files.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
2. Run a full system scan
- Go to Start, then type defender and double click Windows Defender to launch the tool.
- In the left-hand pane, select the shield icon.
- In the new window, click the Advanced scan option.
- Check the full scan option to launch a full system malware scan.
Viruses and malware are a primal cause for the atikmdag.sys error that results in the blue screen of death on your Windows 10 .
Run a full system scan on your PC to remove every possible virus corruption. There are several third-parties antivirus software around that you may use.
We strongly suggest you check out some of the best antivirus software for your Windows PC and install them on your computer.
Note: If you are done scanning your PC, it is advisable that you remove all detected viruses; the option may be “clean” or “delete” depending on the Antivirus that you are using.
3. Repair PC Registry
- Go to Start, type the code below, then right-click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator:
- Now, type the following code:
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer.
- All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
The simplest way to repair your Windows registry is to use a dedicated tool, such as CCleaner. Alternatively, you can also use Microsoft’s System File Checker to check for system file corruption.
The utility program verifies the integrity of all system files and repairs files with problems when possible.
4. Update your Windows OS
- Go to Start then type update in the search box and then click on Windows Update to proceed.
- In the Windows Update window, check for updates and install the available updates.
- After the update is complete, restart your Windows PC.
In addition, you can fix atikmdag.sys BSOD error problem by updating your Windows 10 OS to the latest version.
Microsoft constantly releases Windows updates so as to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues and errors associated with the startup error.
5. Update ATI Radeon drivers
- Press the Windows + R key to launch the Run program.
- In the Run windows, type the code below and click OK to open the Device Manager:
- From the Device Manager left panel, expand the Display adapters category and right-click on the video card
- Select Update Driver and follow the prompts to apply the update.
- Finally, after video driver on your PC has been updated, restart your PC.
Obsolete or old ATI Radeon family device drivers could probably be responsible for atikmdag.sys BSOD problem. You can update your PC’s graphics driver by following these steps:
Another way by which you can update ATI Radeon driver(s) is by visiting AMD website so as to download and install the video card driver for your PC’s model.
We also recommend you update your drivers automatically using a dedicated app for scanning your PC for out of date drivers and providing you with a detailed report. This procedure will have your PC running like new in no time.
5. Perform System Restore in Safe Mode
- Shut down your PC and turn it on again.
- Navigate to the Run in Safe Mode option and hit Enter.
- Go to Start, type system restore and then hit Enter.
- Follow the prompts to revert back to a certain restore point.
- Wait for the process to complete, and then reboot.
Running system restore can also fix the error problem on your Windows PC. Safe mode is a diagnostics mode in Windows which starts your PC with only basic files and drivers running.
However, you can perform system restore in safe mode to revert back to a certain restore point on your system devoid of the error message display on startup.
Note: Ensure you are able to identify the restore point date before the error message started. System restore does not affect any of your files, documents, and personal data.
6. Run CHDSK
- Boot from Windows bootable installation DVD.
- When prompted, press any key to boot from CD or DVD.
- Select your language preferences, and click Next.
- Now, click on Repair your computer.
- Click on Troubleshoot, then Advanced options and go to Command Prompt.
- In the Command Prompt type:
CHKDSK C: /F
- Then in the Command Prompt type the code below and press Enter:
CHKDSK C: /R
- After the process has been completed, restart your PC.
7. Replace RAM/HDD
You can remove your HDD, connect it to another PC to access the files and folders on the PC. This will enable you to backup important files for security purposes.
If the new PC is unable to identify and access the HDD, then you definitely need to replace it with a new one. But, if you can access the HDD on the new PC, then you should replace the RAM because it is the faulty component.
You can purchase new RAM/HDD from your PC manufacturer online retailing website, Amazon or from your local computer shop.
However, we highly recommended that you can carry out the replacement by a professional – computer engineer.
If you are unable to solve the atikmdag.sys error that causes BSoD using any of the fixes above (which is quite unlikely), there is a possibility that your system’s RAM/HDD is faulty.
7. Clean install Windows 10 OS
Another way of fixing the error concerning the atikmdag.sys file on Windows 10, is to perform a clean install of Windows OS on your PC.
However, this method will clear all pre-installed apps, files, and folders but it will solve atikmdag.sys BSOD problem regardless of this.
Meanwhile, you can visit the official Microsoft installation media for a guide on how to clean install Windows 10 Operating System.
By following the methods listed above you should be able to get rid of any atikmdag.sys issues you may have encountered while upgrading your Windows PC.
If you know of any other method that works that we may have missed out on, do not hesitate to leave us a message in the comments section below. We will then take your feedback and update the article accordingly.
We’d like to hear more from you on this matter so drop us a comment in the dedicated section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
This is a system driver that is a component of the ATI Radeon Family and it sometimes may generate errors. Find out more on this article on how to fix the atikmdag.sys BSOD errors in Windows 10.
This is a type of problem that usually occurs when users are playing a game. Learn more about this matter in this great article on how to fix BSoD error codes.
Depending on the type of error there are various ways to go about, using a professional tool can always help. Check out more info in our guide on how to fox BSoD errors in Windows 10.