Windows Photo Gallery won’t launch [3 solutions]
- Download Media Feature Pack for Windows 10
- Download Windows 10 with built-in Media Player
- Use a different photo viewer
Many people store their photos on their computers, and if you’re Windows 10 user, you are probably using the Windows Live Photo Gallery to view your pictures. However, there are reports saying that Windows Live Photo Gallery isn’t working in Windows 10, so let’s see if we can fix that.
Users have reported that Windows Live Photo Gallery fails to start and they are greeted with the “Photo Gallery encountered an error loading WLXPhotoLibraryMain.dll and can’t start. Error code 0x8007007e” message.
According to the reports, it seems that Windows Live Photo Gallery is using MF.dll and MFplat.dll files, and if these files are missing from your computer then you probably won’t be able to start this application.
As for these two files, they are also used by Media Player, and if you don’t have Media Player installed, then you are probably missing these two files as well.
You might not know, but there is N version of Windows 10 that doesn’t come with Media Player, and you might have accidentally install that version, but don’t worry, there’s no need to reinstall anything.
SOLVED: Windows Photo Gallery won’t open
Solution 1 – Download Media Feature Pack for Windows 10
- Go to the Microsoft’s website and search for Media Feature Pack for N and KN versions of Windows 10.
- Download the file and install it, and it should install all the files that you need for Media Player, and in our case for Windows Live Photo Gallery.
- After the installation is complete you Windows Live Photo Gallery should work normally.
Solution 2 – Download Windows 10 with built-in Media Player
This is more drastic solution, but you can download Windows 10 with Media Player preinstalled, and you’ll have all the files you need to run Windows Live Photo Gallery. If you don’t know how to do this, hire someone to do it for you.
Solution 3 – Use a different photo viewer
This is one of the simplest solutions if you’re tired of trying to fix the Windows Live Photo Gallery tool. There are plenty of photo viewer tools out there that allow you to import, view, filter your photos and much more. Simply download one that suits your needs and that’s it.
This is a small but annoying problem, but as you can see, the solution is straightforward, and we hope that it works for you.
If you have any other Windows 10-related issues you can check for the solution in our Windows 10 Fix section.
RELATED GUIDES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fotor photo editing app for Windows 10, 8 [Review & Download link]
- Full Fix: Can’t import photos on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- How to erase photo backgrounds without photo background remover software
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.