- RuneScape is a popular MMORPG, and it has gone through massive changes over the years.
- It started as a browser game, and today we’re going to see if the game can still run in that way.
- If you haven't decided what browser to use yet, we suggest visiting our Browsers Hub for more info.
- Like playing Runescape? Then check out our Gaming section for more great articles!
With new web technologies and new browsers appearing, the question remains how to play RuneScape in your browser and can you still play it? Today we’ll find that out.
How can I play RuneScape in browser?
1. Can you still play RuneScape in browser?
No, RuneScape can’t be played in modern web browsers anymore. The game is made in Java, and over the years, browsers fully dropped support for Java due to security concerns.
As a result, RuneScape, and any other Java-based games can’t run in modern web browsers anymore. If you want to play RuneScape, you need to download and install its desktop client.
However, RuneScape developers are suggesting that the game might still run in Internet Explorer.
2. How to run RuneScape in Internet Explorer?
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Go to the Java download page and click on Java Download.
- After installing Java, try to start RuneScape.
Even though RuneScape isn’t available anymore in modern browsers, there are many other games that work. In order to achieve the best performance in those games, it’s advised to use Opera GX.
This browser has low resource usage, and thanks to the GX Control feature you can easily allocate your resources and ensure that both your browser and other applications are running smoothly.
There’s also Twitch integration that allows you to follow your favorite streamers and check your notifications easily. Thanks to the pop-out video player, you can also watch videos while multitasking.
Additional features include a built-in ad blocker and a free and unlimited VPN that should provide you with an extra layer of protection.
Opera GXFeel as if you are playing your favorite browser game on the ultimate gaming rig thanks to the fantastic visuals of Opera GX.
Playing RuneScape in modern web browsers isn’t possible anymore, but you might have some luck playing it in Internet Explorer, so feel free to try that.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, RuneScape is built in Java, therefore it requires Java in order to work.
No, RuneScape doesn’t come with any malware, so it won’t give your computer a virus.
According to users, RuneScape has certain pay to win elements, but it’s not pay to win for the most part.
Although nothing has been officially announced, it’s likely that we’ll see RuneScape 4 someday in the future.