Full Fix: Pnp detected fatal error on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
Blue Screen of Death errors can cause many problems on Windows 10, and unfortunately these types of errors can be sometimes hard to fix. Since these errors can be problematic, today we’re going to show you how to fix PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR BSoD error.
What is pnp detected fatal error?
Pnp detected fatal error is a blue screen error and it can cause a lot of issues on your PC. This error can be rather annoying since it will force your PC to suddenly restart. Speaking of this error, users reported the following problems:
- Problem with PnP devices Windows 10 – There are many problems with PNP devices that can occur, but if you encounter any of issues, be sure to try some of our solutions.
- Pnp blue screen – PNP error will always show a blue screen and force your PC to crash. This is most likely caused by your drivers so be sure to update them.
- BSOD pnp_detected_fatal_error – This is a BSOD error, and like many other BSOD errors, it can be hard to solve. However, this issue is often caused by software and driver issues, so you might want to remove certain applications and check if that helps.
- Pnp_detected_fatal_error Norton, ntoskrnl.exe – Many users reported that Norton antivirus caused this issue on their PC. If that’s the case, remove Norton from your PC and install a different antivirus instead.
- Pnp_detected_fatal_error after Windows update – Sometimes you can encounter this error message after a Windows update. If that’s the case, you need to find and remove the problematic update from your PC and check if that solves the problem.
- Pnp_detected_fatal_error Windows 8.1, Windows 7 – This error can also appear on Windows 8.1 and 7, but you can use most of our solutions even if you don’t use Windows 10.
How to fix PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR
Quick solution to fix various PC errors
- Step 1: Download this PC Scan & Repair tool
- Step 2: Click “Start Scan” to find Windows issues that could be causing BSOD errors in Windows 10
- Step 3: Click “Start Repair” to fix all issues (requires upgrade).
Solution 1 – Update Windows 10
Blue Screen of Death errors are usually caused by hardware or software compatibility issues, and in order to fix these issues and prevent PNP DETECTED FATAL ERROR Blue Screen of Death from appearing it’s important that you keep Windows 10 up to date. Just like any other operating system, Windows 10 has some issues with certain hardware or software, and those issues can cause BSOD errors to appear.
Microsoft is working hard on fixing these issues, and in order to prevent Blue Screen of Death errors from appearing we strongly advise you to download the latest patches by using Windows Update. Many of these patches address security and compatibility issues, therefore if you wish your PC to be stable and free from errors be sure to download the latest patches.
Windows 10 usually installs the missing updates automatically, but sometimes you might miss an important update due to certain bugs. However, you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- When Settings app opens, navigate to Update & Security section.
- Now click the Check for updates button.
Windows will now scan for available updates and download them automatically in the background. Once the updates are downloaded, they’ll be installed as soon as you restart your PC. Once your system is up to date, check if the error message still appears.
Solution 2 – Update your drivers
Windows 10 requires drivers in order to recognize and use your hardware, and if a specific driver is out of date you won’t be able to use that hardware component and you’ll get a BSOD error such as PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR. To fix these types of errors it’s recommended to update all drivers on your Windows 10 PC. Updating drivers is fairly simple, and you can do it simply by visiting your hardware manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your device.
Many users reported that Intel DPTF Manager driver was causing the issue on their PC even after updating it to the latest version. If you have this driver on your PC, we advise you to roll back to the previous version and check if that solves the problem.
If rolling back this driver solves the issue, we advise you to keep a close eye on it. Windows 10 tends to update drivers automatically, and that can sometimes cause this issue to reappear. In order to prevent that, it’s important to block Windows 10 from automatically updating drivers. Once you prevent Windows 10 from updating this driver, your problem should be resolved completely.
Downloading all drivers manually can be a long and tedious process, therefore you might want to check out this Driver Update software that allows you to automatically update all your drivers.
Solution 3 – Remove your antivirus
Antivirus is crucial for system safety, but sometimes your antivirus software can cause Blue Screen of Death errors to appear. According to users, PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR error is often caused by your antivirus, and in order to fix this problem, it’s advised that you remove any third-party antivirus programs that you have installed. Even if you remove all third-party antivirus programs, your computer won’t be completely defenseless because Windows 10 uses Windows Defender as its own default antivirus program.
According to the users, Norton Internet Security, McAfee Total Protection, and Avira Antivirus are the common causes for this Blue Screen of Death error, and if you want to fix it you’ll have to remove the aforementioned software. We have to mention that uninstalling the antivirus software might not fix the problem, so you’ll have to use a dedicated removal tool. Many security companies have these tools for their software, so be sure to download them.
If the Blue Screen of Death error is fixed after removing your antivirus, you can now reinstall it or you can switch to a different antivirus software.
If removing your antivirus solves the problem, you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution. There are many great antivirus tools available, but the best are Bitdefender, BullGuard, and Panda Antivirus. These tools are fully compatible with Windows 10 and they won’t cause any errors or crashes on your PC, so be sure to try any of them.
Solution 4 – Remove problematic software
PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR BSOD error can be caused by any software on your computer, therefore it’s crucial that you find and remove the problematic software. If you installed or updated any application before this error started appearing, be sure to remove it and check if that fixes the error.
If you’re having problems with third-party applications, the best way to remove the problematic application is to use uninstaller software. If you’re not familiar, uninstaller software is designed to completely remove any application from your PC. Unlike regular uninstallation process, uninstaller software will remove all files and registry entries associated with the problematic application thus completely removing the application from your PC. In addition, this will also ensure that the leftover files don’t interfere with your system.
If you’re looking for uninstaller software, you might want to consider trying IOBit Uninstaller or Revo Uninstaller. All these applications have simple to use interface and they can easily remove any application from your PC along with all of its files.
Once you remove the problematic application, the problem should be completely resolved and your system should start working again.
In addition to applications, certain drivers can cause these errors to appear, and users reported having issues with their Bluetooth driver. If a specific driver is causing this issue you’ll have to remove it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + X to open Power User Menu. Select Device Manager from the list.
- Once Device Manager opens, locate the problematic driver, right click it and choose Uninstall device.
- Restart your computer.
After your computer restarts, Windows 10 will automatically install the default driver, and if the default driver works well you can continue using it or you can try to update it.
Solution 5 – Perform Windows 10 reset
If PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR Blue Screen of Death error is caused by certain software, you can fix it by performing a Windows 10 reset. Before you start Windows 10 reset you need to create a backup for all your important files. This procedure is similar to clean install, and it will delete all files from your C partition, therefore it’s crucial that you back up your important files. To complete Windows 10 reset you might need a Windows 10 installation media, and you can create one by using Media Creation Tool. To perform Windows 10 reset follow these steps:
- Restart your computer few times during the boot sequence to start Automatic Repair.
- Select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything. If you’re asked to insert Windows 10 installation media be sure to do that.
- Select Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files and click the Reset button.
- Follow the instructions and wait for reset process to complete.
Once the reset process is completed, check if your PC is stable. If the BSOD error appears again, it means that the issue is most likely caused by hardware.
PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR Blue Screen of Death error can be caused by your hardware, so be sure to check if your RAM is working properly since RAM is the common cause of these types of errors. If your RAM is working properly, be sure to check other major components such as your motherboard, graphics card, hard drive, etc.
If you’re still having issues with your hardware or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as hardware failure, but also file loss and malware.
PNP_DETECTED_FATAL_ERROR error can cause certain problems, but it can be easily fixed by updating your drivers or by removing your antivirus software. If those solutions don’t work, feel free to try any other solution from this article.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Errors in Windows 10
- Fix: Unable to Update: Error 0x80246017 in Windows 10
- Fix: Atibtmon.exe Runtime Error in Windows 10
- Fix: Explorer.exe Application Error in Windows 10
- Fix: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error on Windows 10
If music is your passion and you feel the desire to create a unique piece of music or a personal mix, you’ve come to the […]
The game industry has constantly evolved from the first simple arcade games that had a simple architecture and pixelated graphics. With the latest advancements in […]
Whether you want to record a tech or sports podcast, recording a podcast is usually easy. Set up a mic, start the audio recorder, and […]