Port in use, please wait: This is how you can fix this error
Printers turning hostile when you need them the most is indeed frustrating. And one common error that often gets associated with them is port in use please wait. Getting to see this when you need some quick prints done can be taxing on your patience though things can be turned around fast enough and with just a few steps.
How to deal with port in use errors
Solution 1: Unplug the printer
- To start with the more simple stuff, check to see if there is any printing job in the pipeline. If that be the case, there should be a small printer icon towards the bottom left in the taskbar.
- Open the same and see if there are any printing job in the queue.
- If yes, right click each of those and select Delete.
- Once that is done, power off the printer and unplug it from your PC.
- Turn on the printer and connect it to the PC.
- Se if you are able to print successfully.
Solution 2: Update USB drivers
Sometimes an outdated Universal Serial Bus driver can also be the culprit, hampering normal printer functioning in the process. Here is how you can be sure of that.
- Go to Device Manager. Simply type Device Manager in the Cortana search box and select accordingly from the search results.
- Locate Universal Serial Bus controllers which usually is towards the bottom of the list.
- Expand the same to reveal all USB controller present on your system and see if there are any yellow exclamation mark associated with any of those.
- If yes, right click on the particular USB and click on Properties.
- In the Properties dialog box, select Driver tab > Update driver.
- If it prompts to get online to seek the updated driver, consent to it.
- You can also visit the home page for the USB and download any updated driver that might be available.
If you want to prevent driver-related issues in the future, we advise you to use TweakBit Driver Updater software. This application will automatically find outdated drivers and update them, so if you want your PC to run smoothly, be sure to try this application. It will also keep your system safe from permanent damage by manually downloading and installing the wrong driver versions.
Disclaimer: Some features of this tool are not free
Alternately, you can also uninstall the USB and install it again.
- To do so, right click on the USB that might be showing the yellow exclamation mark and select un-install. Consent to any prompt that pops up.
- Restart your PC. The drivers for the particular port gets installed again.
- Check if this solves the problem.
— RELATED: How to fix printer queue in Windows 10, 8, 7
Solution 3: Re-install the printer
If the issue persists, another option for you will be to uninstall the printer from your PC and re-install it again. Here are the steps.
- Got to Start > Settings > Devices
- In the Devices page, select Printers & scanners from the left column.
- The printer installed on your PC should be showing under Printers & scanners section on the right.
- Click on it and select Remove device.
- Follow on-screen instructions to un-install the device from your PC.
Meanwhile, go to the printer manufacturer’s website and check to see if there are any updated driver available for the particular model of the printer. This is especially important if say, you have upgraded to Windows 10 while the printer originally came with drivers for a previous version of Windows. Find out if the manufacturer has come up with updated drivers that matches the Windows version on your PC.
- Download the drivers and install on your PC
- Connect the printer and switch it on.
It should now be able to do all printing jobs efficiently.
Also, here are some additional resources for you to browse:
- Full Fix: Printer is slow to start printing on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
- Full Fix: Printer runs a blank page between every printed page
- FIXED: HP printer prints extra blank pages for Word documents
AMR (Adaptive Multi-Rate) audio format is the format majority of handheld devices (mainly smartphones) use for voice recordings. Now, a small problem might arise when […]
The reminders feature in Outlook is a handy feature and allows the users to set appointments and plan meetings accordingly. However, at times the reminder […]
There are many cases in which it is necessary to hide sensitive data, such as personal information. For example, a company shouldn’t be able to […]