- Sometimes you can't connect to your Wi-Fi or PPPoE network and you receive the error: There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area connection adapter
- The origin of this error is a problem with the network adapter or your VPN software.
- If you're having any issues with your PC, head over to our Tech Troubleshooting section.
- Our Network & Internet Hub is the place to start if you have any other Internet connection problems.
Did you try to connect to your Wi-Fi or PPPoE network and couldn’t do it due to There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area connection adapter error?
As you may know, this error can be caused by faulty network adapter settings, or by your VPN software.
In this article, we will explore the best methods that will fix this issue and allow you to connect to the Internet once again.
How can I fix the Local Area connection adapter error?
- Update the network driver automatically
- Update the network adapter driver manually
- Reset your network connection
- Check the WLAN AutoConfig dependency services
1. Update the network driver automatically
Many times, the error message can be pretty cryptic but this time, the reason is pretty clear and it is pointing out to a problem with the driver for the Local Area connection adapter.
That means we have to try and update the network adapter driver and there’s no easier way of doing that than using a specialized solution like DriverFix.
It’s very easy to use and it will prevent damaging your computer by downloading and installing the wrong driver.
First, you need to download and install FriverFix. When you start the program, it will go straight to work by scanning your computer for any driver problems on your system.
After a few minutes, you will get a list of recommended drivers to install.
If you change your mind, click on the Select All box above the list. That will install all the recommended drivers from the list.
DriverFixDriverFix will find and update your network adapter driver just in time to resume your browsing session.
2. Update the network adapter driver manually
- Right-click on the Start button, and choose Device Manager.
- Expand the Network adapters tab and try to update all drivers from that section.
Uninstall the Network adapter driver
- Select your Network adapter, and select Uninstall.
- After the process is complete, restart your PC.
- After reboot, re-open the Device Manager by following the steps mentioned above and click on the Action menu.
- Select Scan for hardware changes and after the process completes, choose Install missing drivers automatically.
Note: If the problem still persists, visit the official site of the manufacturer and download the drivers manually.
3. Reset your network connection
- Click on the Start button, then click on the cog wheel icon (Settings)
- Choose Network and Internet option from the new window.
- Scroll down to the bottom and choose Network reset.
- Choose Yes, and hit Reset Now.
4. Check the WLAN AutoConfig dependency services
- Press the Windows key + R, type in services.msc, and press Enter.
- Right-click on WLAN AutoConfig and select Properties.
- Select the Dependencies tab and check if you have the elements listed below.
- If all looks good, click on the General tab, and set the Startup type to Automatic.
- Restart your computer and check if the issue was solved.
In this article we explored some of the best methods to fix There might be a problem with the driver for the Local Area connection adapter error on Windows 10.
We hope this guide helped you with your Ethernet problem. Please feel free to let us know in the Comments section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in September 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.