The qtcore4.dll is a Dynamic Link Library system file that Windows needs to load system components. It is otherwise a shared system file required by some programs. If the qtcore4.dll is in any way corrupted or missing, you might get an error message stating: “The program can’t start because qtcore4.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.” Consequently, you can’t run the software returning that error message. If that error message is popping up on your Windows laptop or desktop, this is how you can fix it.
How to fix Qtcore4.dll issues on PC
- Download a new Qtcore4.dll File to Windows 10
- Scan the Registry
- Run a System File Scan
- Roll Windows Back to a Restore Point
- Check for Windows Updates
- Reinstall the Software
- Fix the DLL With DLL Fixer Software
1. Run a System File Scan
The System File Checker tool included in Windows repairs system files. So this tool might fix a corrupted qtcore4.dll system file. Follow the guidelines below to initiate a system file checker scan.
- First, press the Cortana button on the Windows 10 taskbar.
- Enter ‘cmd’ in Cortana’s search box.
- Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
- Input ‘DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth’ in the Prompt, and press the Enter key.
- Thereafter, enter ‘sfc /scannow’ in the Command Prompt and press Return to initiate the system file scan. The scan might take up to half an hour.
- Restart Windows if Windows Resource Protection does repair corrupted system files.
If the above solution does not solve your issue, then move to the next one.
Run a third-party DLL fixer
There are plenty of third-party programs out there that promise to fix or replace missing or broken DLLs, and most of them stay true to their word. However, if you are to choose just one, then there’s no way you can go wrong with Restoro.
How to use Restoro to fix missing or broken DLLs
- Download here Restoro and install it on your Windows 10 PC
- Let Restoro perform a full system scan
- When the scan is finished, press Clean Now
- Restoro will now proceed to fix your DLL-related issue.
Note: While Restoro can be downloaded for free, it has limited functionality until you activate it. That being the case, if you want the full benefit of a great PC repair and optimization tool, you should purchase the full license.
2. Download a new Qtcore4.dll File to Windows 10
The error message states that the “qtcore4.dll is missing,” so downloading a new qtcore4.dll might fix the issue. You can get a new qtcore4.dll from numerous websites. The DLL-FILES.COM site is one of the more reputable sites to download DLLs from. You can get a new qtcore.dll from that website as follows.
- First, click here to open DLL-FILES.COM in your browser.
- Enter the keyword ‘qtcore4.dll’ in the website’s search box, and press the Search DLL file button.
- Click qtcore4.dll and then click Download to save the DLL’s ZIP to Windows.
- Open the folder you saved the qtcore.dll to in File Explorer.
- Then click the DLL’s ZIP file, and press the Extract all button.
- Enter a path to extract the folder to, and click the Extract button.
- Open the extracted folder that includes the qtcore4.dll.
- Next, right-click the qtcore4.dll and select Copy.
- Press the Copy to button and select System32 from the drop-down menu in the shot below.
- You might also need to register the new DLL. To do that, press the Win + X hotkey and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter ‘regsvr32 qtcore4.dll’ in the Command Prompt, and press the Return key.
- If your platform is a 64-bit Windows OS, you should instead enter cd c:\windows\syswow64\ in the Command Prompt.
- Then input ‘regsvr32 c:\windows\syswow64\qtcore4.dll’ in the Prompt, and press the Enter key.
- Restart the Windows OS.
3. Scan the Registry
Missing DLL error messages can be due to invalid DLL registry entries. Thus, scanning and repairing the registry might resolve the qtcore4.dll error. You can repair the registry with numerous system optimizers. The professional version of CCleaner includes a registry cleaner, and this is how you can scan the registry with that utility.
- Save CCleaner’s installer to Windows by pressing the Download button on this webpage.
- Open CCleaner’s installer to add the system optimizer to Windows.
- Then open the CCleaner window in the snapshot directly below.
- Click Registry to open the software’s registry cleaner.
- Select all the registry check boxes for a thorough scan. Note that CCleaner’s registry cleaner includes a Missing or Shared DLLs check box, which is one of the more essential check boxes to select.
- Press the Scan for Issues button.
- Then click the Fix selected issues button to repair the listed entries.
- A dialog box opens that asks to back up the registry. Click the Yes button, select a folder to save to and then press the Save button.
- Press the Fix All Selected Issues button to give the software further confirmation to repair registry entries.
4. Roll Windows Back to a Restore Point
The System Restore tool included in Windows restores the platform back to a selected date. As restoring Windows to an earlier time undoes modifications to system files, System Restore can resolve missing DLL errors. That’s especially the case if the program returning the missing qtcore4.dll error message was running fine a few months back. You can roll Windows back to a restore point as follows.
- Open the Win + X menu by pressing the Win key + X hotkey.
- Select Run on the Win + X menu.
- Enter ‘rstrui’ in Run, and click the OK button.
- Press the Next button on the System Restore window.
- Select a listed restore point that predates the qtcore4.dll error message.
- Restoring Windows will also remove software installed after the selected restore point. To check what software will be uninstalled, press the Scan for affected programs button to open the window directly below.
- Press Next and Finish to restore Windows to the restore point you selected.
5. Check for Windows Updates
- Microsoft usually updates Windows to fix various error messages, so it might be worth manually checking for updates. You can do that in Windows 10 by clicking the Cortana button and entering the keyword ‘update’ in search box.
- Select Check for updates to open the window shown directly below.
- Click the Check for updates button on that window.
- If Windows detects available updates, press the Download button.
- Note that you might not need to press the Check for updates option if there are available updates. The Settings window might state there are available updates as soon as you open it, and then you can press a Restart now button.
6. Reinstall the Software
The qtcore4.dll error message suggests that you reinstall the program. Reinstalling a fresh copy of the software that’s returning the error message will replace the program files. You can reinstall the program as follows.
- Enter ‘appwiz.cpl’ in Run, and press the OK button.
- Next, select the software that’s returning the missing DLL error message on the window below.
- Press the Uninstall/Change button.
- Then you’ll need to click Yes at least once to confirm.
- Restart Windows after uninstalling the software.
- Reinstall the latest version of the software. If it’s a freeware package, download the setup wizard for the software again before reinstalling it.
7. Fix the DLL With DLL Fixer Software
As DLL errors are among the more frequent system error messages, there are numerous DLL fixers for Windows. DLL Suite, DLL Tool and DLL-files Fixer tools are a few of the utilities you can repair DLL and registry errors with. So you can probably fix the qtcore4.dll is missing error with one of those system utilities. Add DLL Suite to Windows 10, 8 and 7 by pressing the Free Download button on this website page.
One, or more, of those resolutions will probably resolve the missing qtcore4.dll issue. One of the repair utilities included in this software guide might also fix the DLL error. For some more general missing DLL resolutions, check out this post.