- Reddit unauthorized error 401 means the website has blocked you from accessing resources because your server lacks valid credentials.
- You can close the webpage and open it again, or you can open it in incognito mode.
- Try accessing Reddit from another browser to see if you can log into the website.
Reddit unauthorized 401 error code means that Reddit has blocked you from accessing the website. You’ll see this error because it lacks valid authentication credentials for the requested resources.
Aside from the error code 401 access denied, another common error you can run into is your Reddit session expired error.
You often see this error when accessing membership websites that require a username and password, such as Reddit. Here are ways you can fix this 401 error.
How do I fix Reddit unauthorized 401 error?
1. Check the URL of the website
- Ensure you’ve entered the correct URL address.
- If it’s wrong, re-enter the right one.
- Press Enter to gain access to the website.
Sometimes Reddit blocks access to its content because of an incorrect URL. Check the URL you’ve entered to ensure it’s correct, and reload the webpage.
The wrong URL address is a widespread error that’s easy to overlook.
2. Check your authentication credentials
- Close the Reddit webpage you’re trying to open.
- Reload and click on Login.
- Enter your login credentials.
Sometimes a wrong username or password can cause the Reddit unauthorized access error. One way to troubleshoot is to sign out and sign again.
Logging out and logging in usually solve the problem. However, if that doesn’t solve the problem, move on to the next solution.
3. Flush your DNS records on Windows
- Press Windows + R simultaneously to open the Run search box.
- Type cmd and then press Enter.
- In the command prompt window, type
- Press Enter to clear the DNS.
- You’ll receive a message showing the successful clearance of the DNS records.
You can clear the DNS to resolve the Reddit unauthorized error 401. The old record may contain outdated information, making it difficult to access the website.
Clearing the DNS cache will help resolve connectivity issues, such as unauthorized 401 errors and other security issues.
4. Clear your browser’s cache
- Open the Chrome browser on your PC.
- At the top right, click on More.
- Click on More Tools and then select Clear browsing data.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Choose a time frame, such as Last hour or All time.
- Ensure that you only check the cache images and files box.
- Click on Clear data.
- Reload the website.
Browsers store local copies on your computer data so that they don’t have to load the website from scratch every time you visit a website.
It’s essential to clear your browser’s cached data because it might store old and incorrect login information.
Clearing the browser cache data will help the website load from scratch with updated information.
5. Try another browser
Have you tried all the above solutions in your current browser, but you’re still facing a Reddit unauthorized access error?
Try switching to the Opera browser. It’s a Chromium-based browser like Google Chrome.
The Opera browser has many unique features that make it an excellent alternative for anyone fed up with Google Chrome.
It has integrated ad-blocking and track-prevention components. Using the Opera browser can help you bypass the Reddit access denied error.
These are the methods you can use to regain access to the Reddit website. These 401 error doesn’t occur only when you’re trying to log into a password-protected such as Reddit.
Another common error you’ll see is that the website is not allowed when you try accessing a website.
Which of the above solutions discussed did you find helpful? Let us know in the comment section below.