- The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve is a frequent error that appears on Windows 10 when using a VPN.
- The guide below will show you precisely what to do when encountering such an issue.
- Check out our dedicated Hub for Troubleshooting VPN issues for more similar guides.
- If you want more troubleshooting articles, check out our Windows 10 Fix page.
VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) are tools used to make it harder for outside entities to track your browsing behavior while circumventing censorship.
Although they are generally reliable, one error you might get when establishing a connection to VPN is:
The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve
This is how you can fix ‘the remote connection was not made’ VPN error in Windows 10.
How to fix the remote connection error on Windows 10?
The remote connection was not made error can cause many issues on your PC, and speaking of this problem, here are some similar errors that users reported:
- The remote connection was not made because the name of the remote access server did not resolve
- This problem can occur due to your VPN.
- If you encounter this issue, be sure to check your VPN settings and see if that helps.
- The remote connection was not made because the VPN tunnels failed Windows 10
- This is another variation of this problem.
- If you encounter this issue, try disabling your antivirus or firewall and check if that helps.
- A connection to the remote access was not made because the modem was not found
- According to users, this error can appear due to your DNS, so try changing your DNS settings and check if that solves the problem.
- The remote connection was not made error 800, 868
- There are various error codes that can appear alongside this message.
- However, you should be able to fix them using one of our solutions.
- The remote connection was denied, has timed out, was interrupted and is reconnecting
- These are some common problems that can appear, and in most cases these issues are caused by your configuration.
- To fix the problem, check the configuration and see if that helps.
VPNs are extremely useful and most often than naught you will eventually have to resort to using one.
Thus, you can choose to either continue using the VPN service you currently have and tweak your network settings following the steps below, or simply switch to a better VPN.
- Download and install Private Internet Access
- Launch it from the Start Menu
- Tweak your connection preferences
2. Double-check the Hostname
First, double-check you’re entering the correct hostname. Make sure there are no typos in the hostname entered to connect with VPN. Alternatively, you can also establish a VPN connection with your server IP address instead.
3. Flush the DNS and reset connections with Command Prompt
Flushing the DNS (Domain Name System) and resetting network settings together are one of the most effective fixes for this VPN error.
- First, open the Command Prompt by pressing the Win key + X hotkey and selecting Command Prompt (Admin).
- Run the following commands one by one:
After running these commands, check if the problem is resolved.
4. Close anti-virus software and firewalls
If you keep getting The remote connection was not made error message, the problem might be your antivirus or firewall. Third-party antivirus tools can sometimes interfere with Windows and cause this and other errors to occur.
To fix the problem, you need to disable certain antivirus features and check if that helps. If the issue is still there, you might have to temporarily disable your antivirus.
In worst-case scenario, you might have to remove your antivirus and check if that solves the problem.
If removing your antivirus solves the issue, you should consider switching to different antivirus software. There are many great antivirus tools on the market, but if you want maximum security, you should consider using Bitdefender.
5. Disable your firewall
Firewall is a great security feature, but sometimes your firewall can cause The remote connection was not made error to appear. If you encounter this issue, you might have to temporarily disable your firewall.
To do that, just do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter firewall.
- When Windows Defender Firewall window opens, select Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Now select Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) for both Private and Public networks.
After doing that, your firewall should be completely disabled. Now check if the issue is still there. If the problem doesn’t appear, it means that your firewall isn’t properly configured.
To fix the problem, you need to enable your firewall and check your configuration.
6. Change your DNS
According to users, you can fix the problem with The remote connection was not made message simply by changing your DNS. To change the DNS, you need to do the following:
- Right-click the network icon on your Taskbar and select your network from the menu.
- Now click on Change adapter options.
- List of all network connections on your PC will now appear.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
- Now select Use the following DNS server addresses and enter 188.8.131.52 as a Preferred DNS server and 184.108.40.206 as Alternate DNS server.
After doing that, you’ll use Google’s DNS and the issue should be resolved. If you want, you can also use OpenDNS or any other DNS by using this method.
7. Restart RasMan process
Many users reported that The remote connection was not made error message can occur due to RasMan process. To fix the problem, it’s required that you restart this process.
This is relatively simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open Command Prompt as administrator.
- When Command Prompt opens, enter the following commands:
- net stop RasMan
- net start RasMan
After running these two commands, the RasMan process will restart and the issue should be completely resolved.
8. Disable your proxy
Many users use proxy in order to protect their privacy online, but sometimes your proxy can cause The remote connection was not made an error to appear. To fix the problem, it’s advised to disable your proxy.
This is relatively simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Open the Settings app and go to Network & Internet.
- Select Proxy from the menu on the left and in the right pane disable all options.
After disabling proxy, check if the problem is resolved.
9. Perform a clean boot
Sometimes third-party applications or services can interfere with Windows and cause this and other errors to appear. To fix the problem, you need to start your PC in Clean boot mode.
This is quite simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig.
- System Configuration window will now open.
- Go to Services tab and check Hide all Microsoft services.
- Navigate to Startup window and click Open Task Manager.
- Task Manager will now open and you’ll see a list of startup apps.
- Once you disable all startup apps, go back to System Configuration window and click Apply and OK and restart your PC.
Once your PC restarts, check if the problem is still there. If not, you need to enable disabled services and apps one by one until you find the cause. Once you find the problematic application, you need to remove it, preferably with software such as IOBit Uninstaller, in order to permanently solve the issue.
FAQ: Learn more about remote connection errors
- What does it mean to connect remotely?
Connecting remotely means accessing work or home computer form a remote location.
- How do I enable remote desktop connection?
In order to activate a remote desktop connection, simply go to Start > Settings > System > Remote Desktop, and turn on Enable Remote Desktop.
- How can I remotely control another computer?
You could use Windows 10’s built-in Remote Desktop feature or a third-party remote access tool such as TeamViewer.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.