- If you don't want clutter on your system, learn how to easily remove users in Windows 11.
- After you do so for an account, also delete the user’s profile folder, as described below.
- Whether you want to do any of the procedures, note that administrative privileges are a must.
As you most likely know, we have a new chapter in the OS book called Windows 11. Microsoft subtly changed a lot of features and the looks of it, but the system’s mechanics are pretty much the same.
Our guide will show you exactly how you can remove a local user or a Microsoft account in Windows 11 with just a few steps.
But before we spring into action, it’s important to find out a little bit more about user accounts and what are they used for.
What is a local user account and why do you need them?
A local user account is practically another instance of the operating system with its own settings, software, and, most of all, different management rights.
In other words, as an administrator of the system, you can create different local accounts for multiple users and at the same time, limit their rights to manage some resources.
For instance, you can block their right to install apps or set some rules. This is particularly important when you set up a local account for your children or family.
So, if you’re using the same computer as your family, it’s best to have an account for each one. This way, you will avoid clutter, and everyone will have their own privacy.
However, when you buy an extra computer, you will have to delete the account of that person from the old computer to free some space in the process. Our guide below will show you just that.
What is the difference between a Microsoft account and a local account?
Logging in with a Microsoft account allows you to use all the associated Microsoft services like Outlook, Microsoft Store, Xbox, Hotmail and you will be able to back up your data in OneDrive.
You won’t need to log in separately to all those services, and all the settings will be saved in your online account so if you decide to work on another computer, after logging in, you will be able to access them.
How can I easily remove a user in Windows 11?
- Make sure you are logged in as an administrator in Windows 11.
- Click on the Windows button and then select Settings.
- Choose the Accounts option from the left, then select Family and other users from the right.
- Go to the Other users section and click on the user you want to delete, in our case, WindowsReport, to expand it.
- Click on the Remove button to delete it.
- Next, click on the Delete account and data button.
- Press the Windows key + E to open File Manager.
- Click on This PC and double-click on the C: drive.
- Now double-click on the Users folder.
- Right-click on the user account folder that you want to delete, in our case, WindowsReport, and select the Delete icon.
It’s important to know that it’s not enough to delete a user’s account from the Computer Management console, you also need to delete the user’s profile folder.
By doing so, you will free a lot of space in the process. The procedure is pretty easy to follow, so just apply the steps above to get it done quickly.
How do I remove a Microsoft account from Windows 11?
First, you need to know that you cannot remove a Microsoft account from the PC if you don’t have another available Microsoft or local account with administrative privileges in place.
So, if the account you’re trying to remove is the only one on your computer, you will need to create a local account.
Create a local account
- Click on the Windows button and select Settings.
- Now choose Accounts from the left pane and click on Family & other users from the right.
- Look down at the Other users section and hit the Add account button.
- Click on I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
- Select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
- Now you need to complete the username. You can also add a password but it’s not imperative. If you leave the password fields blank, the user will just log in by pressing the Enter key.
- As you can see in our screenshot, the account was created but it’s a standard one so we need to change it into an Administrator account.
- Click on the Change account type option.
- In the next windows, click on the Standard User field and select Administrator instead, then hit OK.
Remove a Microsoft account using Settings
- Click on the Windows button and choose the Settings option.
- Select Accounts from the menu on the left and select Family & other users from the right pane.
- Now click on the account you want to delete and click on the Remove button below.
- In the next window, click on the Delete account and data button. Once again, this will remove all the data of that user from your PC so if you have some data that you need from that account, stop here and perform a backup first.
Remove a Microsoft account using User Accounts
- Press the Windows key + R to start Run.
- Type netplwiz and click OK or press Enter.
- Now click on the account you want to delete and hit the Remove button.
- You will be prompted again to accept the deletion of the account and the user data.
Remove a Microsoft account using Control Panel
- Click the Search icon on the Taskbar, then type control panel and select the Control Panel app from the results.
- Select User Accounts.
- Click on the Remove user accounts option.
- Next, choose the account that you want to remove.
- Click on Delete the account.
- In the next window, you can choose whether to keep or delete the files from the account. If you choose to keep them, they will be stored online, in the user’s account.
The last option of deleting the Microsoft account is better because it offers a way of backing up the data in the user’s account.
How do I change my Microsoft account on Windows 11?
- If you simply want to switch to another Microsoft or local account, click the Windows button, then on the username.
- Now simply click on the username you want to sign-in with from the list.
- While logged in with your Microsoft account, you can also click on the Change account settings option to modify your account.
- From the next window you can also log in with a Microsoft account if you didn’t do that already, by clicking on the dedicated option.
- Lastly, you can click on the Manage my accounts option under the Accounts section below, that will open a browser with the login screen for your Microsoft account.
What can I do if I lost the password to my account?
After the first login with your Microsoft account, you are asked to create a PIN code. It’s a lot easier to log in with that, although you can also use letters and symbols just like a regular password.
If you don’t remember the PIN code, you can click on the I forgot my PIN option right below the login field.
Clicking it will bring you to a window where you need to enter the password to your Microsoft account. But if you also forgot that one, you can click on the Forgot password? option.
Now you only need to specify the e-mail address linked to your Microsoft account and click on the Get code button.
You will receive an e-mail with a 5 digit code, and when you do, click on the I have a code option and enter it into the field.
After you get into your account, you can change the password and PIN from the Settings > Accounts, by clicking on the options, as you can see in the screenshot below.
The procedure of deleting a user account didn’t change much in Windows 11 and we hope that our guide made it clear on how to do that.
Now you also know how to retrieve your Microsoft account password and PIN, so you will never be left out of your own system.
However, if you can’t even access your e-mail, the only option left is to reset your system to factory settings and this means you will lose all data from your system.
That’s why we recommend keeping your Microsoft account password safely on another system or even written on a piece of paper under secure conditions.
If the explanation above is not comprehensive enough, you can also check our guide on how to change the password and username in Windows 11.
Did you succeed in deleting the user account? If you need more information, don’t hesitate to leave us a note in the comments section below.