How to run Microsoft Works on Windows 10? [QUICK GUIDE]
Have you ever tried using MS Works on Windows 10? It might be harder than you think. Even though Works has been discontinued by Microsoft, some users still prefer to use this software instead of MS Office because of its simplicity and customization level.
In this article we will explore a few methods that will allow you to either run MS Works (if you already have an installation CD or the software is installed on your PC) or convert the files from the .WPS file format of Works, to a more compatible format that can be opened in Open Office, Libre Office, or Microsoft Office. Read on to find out how to do it.
How to run Microsoft Works on Windows 10? Although Microsoft Works is discontinued, you can still run it on Windows 10 by setting the MSWorks.exe file to run in Compatibility Mode. Alternatively, you can convert .WPS files with dedicated Microsoft Works file converter.
How can I use Microsoft Works on Windows 10?
1. Run MS Works executable file in compatibility mode
Note: This method only applies if you already have a Microsoft Works installation CD, or if you already have this software installed on your PC
- Navigate to the folder that contains the executable file for Microsoft Works (C: > Program Files (x86) > Microsoft Works)
- Right-click on the MSWorks.exe file, and select Troubleshoot compatibility.
- The troubleshooter will automatically detect the best compatibility mode.
- After this process is completed, select Try recommended settings.
- Click on Test the program.
- This will launch the MS Works application.
2. Convert MS Works files (WPS)
This converter gives you the power to open, edit and save files in Works Word Processor format.
- Download Microsoft Works 6–9 File Converter.
- Install the Microsoft Works Converter to your PC.
Note: Make sure you already have Microsoft Office installed on your PC for this fix to work.
You can easily transform your MS Works files to Open Office format, by using the online converter called Zamzar.
- Once the website is opened, click Choose and navigate to the location of the file you want to convert, select it, and then click Open.
- Next, select the output file format of your choosing.
- Enter your email address in the text field.
- Click Convert and OK in the confirmation window in order to upload the file to Zamzar.
- You will receive an email from Zamzar with a clickable link to the download page of your converted file.
- Click on Download, and choose the download location of the newly converted file.
After this process is complete, you will be able to open up the newly created file inside Open Office.
If you already have Libre Office installed on your PC, you can follow these steps:
- Open up Libre Office, click File, and select Save as.
- Navigate to the path you wish to save your file in.
- Click on the File type drop-down menu and select the format you need to use the file in RTF, DOC, or ODT.
- Click Save to convert the file.
- After this process is complete, you can open up the converted files normally.
In this article we explored a quick way to run MS Works on your Windows 10 PC, and also a method to convert WPS files to any Office software you use.
Please feel free to let us know in the comment section below if this article was helpful to you.
- Microsoft Office gives users more control over shared data
- Download March 2019 Office updates and get the latest fixes
- What to do if Microsoft Office Activation Wizard won’t work
An annoying issue prevents printers from printing files on the Windows 10 operating system. When attempting to initiate the printing process, the error message Another […]
Many Windows 10 users reported encountering an issue while trying to play HTML5 videos in their browser. The error message Your browser does not currently recognize […]