Sedlauncher.exe is part of the KB4023057 Windows 10 update package and was designed to improve the speeds of the Windows Update Service on your Windows 10 computer.
Even though this element was designed with speed optimization in mind, a large number of users have reported issues and asked about what is ‘sedlauncher.exe’ and how to fix high CPU usage caused by this program.
Users have reported that after they performed the KB4023057 Windows update, the entire CPU of their computer is running at full capacity.
That means that the entire system is slowed down considerably, making even simple tasks, like copying a file, take a long time.
There are some variations to the file we’re discussing in this article. It can be found in your system processes either as sedlauncher.exe, sedsvc.exe, rempl.exe, etc. They are all part of the Windows Remediation Service.
For these reasons, in this article, we will explore some of the best methods to end this task and be able to start using your computer normally.
How can I fix sedlauncher.exe high CPU usage?
1. Stop and Disable “Windows Remediation Service” process
- Press the ‘Win + R’ keys on your keyboard, type ‘services.msc‘ in the Run window, and press Enter.
- Scroll down in the list of services, and look for Windows Remediation Service (sedsvc).
- Double-click it to open up the properties window.
- In the General tab, under Startup type, click the drop-down list and select ‘Disabled’.
- Click ‘Apply’ and check to see if the issue persists.
2. Completely remove ‘Windows Setup Remediations’
- Press the ‘Win + I’ keys to open up Windows Settings.
- Select Apps.
- Inside the Apps and Features list, scroll down until you find ‘Windows Setup Remediations (x64) (KB4023057)’ or ‘Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057)’.
- Click on the program, and then click on the Uninstall button.
- Check to see if the issue is resolved.
3. Disable REMPL task
- Press ‘Win + R’ keys on your keyboard, type ‘taskschd.msc’ in the Run dialog box, and press Enter.
- Inside the Task Scheduler window, click on the arrow next to ‘Task Scheduler Library’, to activate the drop down menu.
- Navigate to ‘Microsoft -> Windows -> rempl’ folder.
- On the right-side panel, you will see a ‘shell’ task.
- Select the task and press the Delete key, then press Yes to confirm.
4. Block Windows Remediation service using firewall
- Click on Cortana search box, and type in ‘Windows Defender Firewall’, then open it.
- Click on Advanced Settings from the left-side menu.
- Select ‘Outbound Rules’.
- Click on ‘New Rule’ in the upper-right corner of the window.
- Inside the pop-up window, select ‘Program‘, and then click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Navigate to the location of the Windows Remediation Service on your hard-drive (C:>Program Files>rempl).
- Select the ‘sedsvc.exe’ file, and click Next 3 times to finish the process.
- Enter a name for your new rule, and click Finish.
In this article, we explored some of the best ways to fix the speed issues caused by the sedlauncher.exe process running on Windows 10.
Please feel free to let us know if this guide helped you solve your issue by using the comment section below.