Skype is messaging software you can use your laptop’s or desktop’s webcam with. With their webcams, users can make video calls in Skype.
However, some might not always be able to get a working video stream with their Skype cameras.
So if your Skype camera doesn’t have effective video calls, these are a few ways to fix it in Windows 10.
First, note that Skype video calls only work with desktop and laptop webcams. They can either be built-in or external USB webcams.
However, that does not include mobile cameras, which you can’t use for Skype video calls. Also make sure that an external USB webcam is correctly connected to desktop.
How can I fix Skype camera issues on my PC?
1. Re-install Skype
Have you switched off automatic updates in Skype? If so, you might need to update the Skype app to the latest version.
That doesn’t necessarily mean you need to re-install the software, but that will guarantee you’re using the most update version with the latest patches installed.
Open this web page and click Get Skype for Windows to get the update version. Alternatively, you could also select Help > Check for Updates in your Skype app.
In rare cases, you may not be able to re-install Skype on your machine. In order to fix this technical glitch, check out our step-by-step guide for more information on the troubleshooting steps to follow.
2. Check the webcam is configured correctly
- Next, check the webcam is configured for Skype. Open the Skype app and select Tools > Options to open further settings.
- Then click Video settings to check the webcam configuration. If Video settings states Skype couldn’t find a webcam, then Skype hasn’t recognized your camera.
- If that’s the case, you should open your webcam software and switch the camera on with that. Alternatively, switch it on with a hardware switch if you can.
- Then restart your Skype app.
- Click Tools > Options and Video settings once again to check the camera configuration. Now you should see an image of yourself there.
- If the video image is very dark, then you should select Webcam settings.
- Select the Camera Control tab on the Video Capture Filter Properties window.
- Then you can select a Low Light Compensation option that will lighten the video image.
- Press Apply and OK to confirm the selected option.
One of the most common issues on Skype is the annoying black screen camera problem.
This issue often occurs due to incorrect settings. Here’s a tested troubleshooting guide on how to fix black screen webcam issues for good.
3. Update your webcam drivers
- Press the Win key + X and select Device Manager from the menu.
- Now click Imaging devices where you should find your webcam listed.
- Next, right-click the webcam and select the Update Driver Software option from the context menu.
- An Update Driver Software window opens from which you can select Search automatically for updated driver software.
- Or you could select Uninstall and restart Windows. Windows will automatically install the latest webcam drivers.
Update drivers automatically (suggested)
After you have uninstalled your drivers, we recommend to reinstall/update them automatically.
Downloading and installing drivers manually is a process that carries the risk of getting the wrong driver installed, which may lead to serious malfunctions of your system.
The safer and easier way to update drivers on a Windows computer is by using an automatic tool.
We strongly recommend Tweakbit’s Driver Updater tool. It automatically identifies each device on your computer and matches it with the latest driver versions from an extensive online database.
Here is how it works:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically.Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once.To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need to be installed in multiple steps so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times until all of its components are installed.
Disclaimer: some features of this tool are not free.
Editor’s Note: This article continues on the next page.