Sophos Intercept X is an Endpoint Protection solution developed by Sophos. The whole concept of endpoint protection (or endpoint security) is all about protecting networks that are bridged remotely to client devices.
Since connecting multiple devices to the same network creates facile attack paths for cybercriminals, the need for an efficient endpoint security solution became critical. Sophos Intercept X aims to cater to this need by providing an all-round service.
Sophos Intercept X’s technical specifications
Arguably one of the most important aspects of any software solution is its list of system requirements. Mainly because understanding the environment, a certain program needs can save you from a lot of hassle way before even thinking of software deployment.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at Sophos Intercept X’s prerequisites.
- Operating system: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7
- Architecture: supports both 32-bit and 64-bit systems
- Can run as:
- Standalone agent
- Alongside existing antivirus
- A component of existing Sophos Endpoint agent
Notice that there’s no mention of any hardware component. However, we believe that if the target PCs support Windows 7 at least, they could probably handle Sophos Intercept X, as well.
It’s also worth mentioning that you’ll need all the target computers on the same network for deployment. An active Internet connection is recommended, but not necessary.
- An extensive list of security features
- Easy to deploy
- Free trial available
Sophos Intercept X free trial
As you’d expect, such a complex tool doesn’t come for free, and the price is quite high. However, if you just want to see if it fits your needs and you’re not exactly ready to make a purchase, you can request a trial.
As opposed to other similar solutions, Sophos Intercept X doesn’t just give you a downloadable executable. You have to fill out a form, which requires you to include your full name, business email address, job role, phone number, and company name.
All the fields are mandatory, so you can’t fake your way out of this, either. It goes without saying that Sophos Intercept X is especially designed for companies.
What is Sophos Intercept X?
Sophos Intercept X can help you stay in the loop when it comes to your company’s cybersecurity. After deploying it on all the machines, this product can detect and prioritize potential threats automatically.
This can come in extremely handy since it lets you know at a glance where your attention is needed and which machines are potentially affected by a threat. There’s an intuitive graphical interface that shows all the devices and even lets you interact with them.
How does Sophos Intercept X work?
Sophos Intercept X can stop some of the most aggressive forms of cyber-attacks: ransomware. It encompasses file protection against this type of attack, as well as automatic file recovery, in case the attack succeeded. More so, it performs behavioral analysis in order to prevent these threats, and boot-record attacks, as well.
The Deep Learning technology embedded in this product makes sure that both known and unknown pieces of malware get picked up without relying on any signature files. Sophos Intercept X can help you block exploits and malware distribution techniques with minimum efforts.
Last, but not least, the active adversary mitigation component prevents any form of persistence on connected machines. It can help you detect malicious traffic, and even prevent credential theft.
In-sync security adds up to protection level
This term might sound a little confusing, so we’ll put it in another way: Sophos Intercept X helps security solutions communicate for better results. The Synchronized Security component allows your firewalls and endpoints to share security-related information in real-time.
This product can help you focus more on what matters by isolating infected devices automatically. Additionally, it cleans up detected malware instantly and shows every app on your network, thus reducing the chance of a surprise attack occurring.
Comprehensive endpoint security software solution
All things considered, if you need an all-round security solution for your company, you might want to give Sophos Intercept X a try. It comprises an outstanding list of features and can protect your network from any conceivable cyber harm with its bleeding-edge security components.
Although it’s a premium product and requires a paid license to use it, Sophos Intercept X also offers a free trial. However, you need to fill a form in order to be eligible for the trial. If you can provide your name, business email, job role, company name, and phone number, all should be good.
FAQ: learn more about Sophos Intercept X
- Is Sophos Intercept X an antivirus?
Sophos Intercept X is more complex than an antivirus. You can think about it as an all-in-one security solution for the entire network that comprises an antivirus, an antimalware component, a ransomware prevention component, and more.
- How is Sophos Intercept X managed?
Like many other Sophos security solutions, Sophos Intercept X is managed through a unified console, called Sophos Central.
- What is Lateral Movement Protection?
If this technology is present, each individual endpoint is assigned to its own segment. This means that in case of an attack or threat, each endpoint can be effectively isolated, so as to prevent the spread of the said attack. This isolation occurs regardless of the topology of the network.
Overview of Sophos Intercept X features
- Bottom-up ASLR
- Mandatory address space layout randomization
- Stack pivot
- Enforce data execution prevention
- Stack Exec
- Dynamic Heap spray
- Heap spray allocation
- Null page or null deference protection
- Stack-based ROP mitigations (caller)
- Load library
- Structured exception handler overwrite (SEHOP)
- VBScript God Mode
- Import Address Table Filtering (IAF)
- Branch-based ROP mitigations
- Reflective DLL injection
- Squiblydoo Applocker Bypass
- Process Privilege Escalation
- APC Protection (Double Pulsar / AtomBombing)
- Credential theft protection
- Ransomware file protection (CryptoGuard)
- Code cave mitigation
- Man-in-the-Browser protection for safe browsing
- Meterpreter shell detection
- Malicious traffic detection
- Automatic file recovery (CryptoGuard)
- Lockdown for web browsers, web browser plugins, Java, media apps and office apps
- Disk and boot record protection (WipeGuard)
- Deep Learning for detecting malware, blocking potentially unwanted apps (PUA), suppress false positives and ensure live protection
- Synchronized Security lets security components communicate with each other and share real-time data
- Guided investigations
- Forensic data export
- Isolate infected computers automatically
- Root cause analysis
- Can run as a standalone agent, alongside existing antivirus, or component of existing Sophos Endpoint agent
- Endpoint Protection, security, network