Your Sony Smart TV won’t turn on? Well, this sounds like pretty bad news as you can’t use the smart features or even watch TV.
Usually, a TV has no power after a storm, a drop in voltage in electrical power, or after a blackout.
If the whole situation seems pretty scary and you don’t know what to do, keep reading this article to find out what you can do to get your Sony Smart TV back in working condition.
What do I do if my Sony TV won’t turn on?
1. Perform a few simple checks
- If your Sony Smart TV won’t turn on, check the remote control batteries. Consider changing the batteries and then check again if the TV will turn on.
- Make sure that there’s nothing interfering with the infrared signal from your remote.
- Check if the power cable is properly plugged in to the TV as well as the power outlet.
- Plug your TV’s power cable in another power outlet or plug another device in the same outlet to confirm that is working.
- If your TV is plugged in to a smart plug or anything of sorts, plug it in directly in to the wall outlet.
- Check your power cable for any damage.
2. Perform a Power reset
- Disconnect any external devices connected to your Sony Smart TV. Remove any external drives, USB drives, Chromecast/Amazon Fire stick, or any other device.
- Now remove the power cord and wait for a couple of minutes to drain residual power. You can wait longer (about 30 minutes) if you want to make sure that any additional power is drained.
- After that, plug in your TV back again. Make sure to connect it directly to a wall outlet. In some cases, bad extension cords or smart plugs can cause power issues with your TV, so bypass them.
- Start your Sony TV and check if it works properly.
Newer Sony Smart TVs have self-resetting fuses. Unplugging the power cord and leaving it this way for a period of time allows a tripped fuse to reset, solving the problem.
3. Sony Smart TV appears to be off
In some cases, you TV is actually functioning and it only appears to be off. This can happen due to various reasons. A common problem can be a bad input signal. Your Sony Smart TV has multiple inputs (HDMI, cable, antenna).
If the current input is not working properly, the device will appear as being off and the screen completely blank.
In this case, change the input by pressing the Input button on your remote control.
This also applies for bad HDMI cables or other types of connection cables. To make sure that this is not a cable problem, try to use a different cable or input.
Similarly, a bad input device can trigger the same problem. Check the connections to your input devices and make sure that they are turned on and working properly.
If the problem is persistent, contact Sony service.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below.