Some users have posted on numerous software forums about a Stack overflow line 20 error that arises in their web browsers (especially Internet Explorer). That error can occur when you try to log in to sites. One user stated:
Message from webpage… Stack overflow at line __. You can click OK on it & it will keep popping up with a different line number.
The stack mentioned in the error message is a section of memory (RAM) for software to store variables and program parameters. Stack errors (otherwise overflows) arise when programs exceed their call stack memory allocations.
Those stack overflows often arise from Java, C++, and Perl runtime environments for browser applets.
How can I fix the Stack overflow line 20 error?
1. Disable ActiveX Scripting
- As stack errors arise from browser scripts, turning ActiveX scripting off might help fix the Stack overflow line error. Open the search box with the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Input ‘Internet Options’ in the search box. Then click Internet Options to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Click the Security tab.
- Select Internet, and click the Custom level button.
- Scroll down to the Scripting options.
- Select Disable for the Active Scripting option.
- Click the OK button to exit the window.
- Press the Apply button to confirm the new settings.
2. Reset Internet Explorer
- As the Stack overflow line error often arises for Explorer users, resetting that browser might help fix it. Open the Internet Options window by clicking the gear button in IE and selecting Internet options.
- Select the Advanced tab shown directly below.
- Press the Reset button.
- Select the Delete personal settings option on the dialog box that opens.
- Click Reset again.
- Click the Close button.
3. Run a Malwarebytes scan
The Stack overflow line error can be due to spyware. To purge spyware, run a Malwarebytes scan. Click the Download Free button for Windows on the Malwarebytes website to save the setup wizard for that software.
Install Malwarebytes with its setup wizard, launch it, and then click the Scan Now button to initiate a scan.
4. Update Java version
Make sure that you have the latest Java version. Click the Verify Java version button on the Java website to check that. If you don’t have the latest version, click the Agree and Start Free Download button on the Java download page. Then open and go through the Java installer to install the latest version.
5. Disable script debugging
- You can also turn off script debugging notifications for the Stack overflow line error to ensure they don’t pop up. Input ‘Internet Options’ in Windows’ search box.
- Click Internet Options to open that window.
- Select the Advanced tab.
- Select the Disable script debugging (Internet Options) check box.
- Select the Disable script debugging (other) setting.
- Then deselect the Display a notification about every script error check box if selected.
- Select the Enable automatic crash recovery check box.
- Click the Apply and OK options.
Those are a few of the potential fixes for the Stack overflow line error. Remember, however, that stack errors can often be due to webpage coding, which can’t be fixed by browser users.
If you have any other questions or suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments section below.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- How to remove Amazon Script error on Internet Explorer [Super Guide]
- How to fix Internet Explorer 11 res://aaResources.dll/104 error
- How to fix outdated Java messages on Windows 10