How to Update the Steam Deck Software: 5 Easy Steps
Update Steam Deck for enhanced performance and bug fixes
- The official release of Steam Desk got the gaming community all hyped up, and the product has sure lived up to the expectations.
- But many users reported both minor and major bugs in Steam Deck, though the console appears polished after the recent updates.
- In this guide, we have presented, in straightforward steps, how you can update the software on Steam Deck.
We know many of you are excited after the release of Valve’s own handheld gaming device, which resembles a PSP. And as with any device, Steam Deck also receives software updates.
There had been a lot of talk about Steam Deck, even before its release date, which was February 25, 2022. And ever since it was released, the advanced and user-friendly console has sure appealed to a large part of the gaming community,
On the o,ff chance you were wondering what software updates one could expect on Steam Deck and how these can be downloaded, you have come to the right place. Please read the following sections to find out all about it.
Will you be able to upgrade the Steam Deck?
Talking from the hardware point of view, you wouldn’t be able to upgrade Steam Deck or its components, except the SSD available on two of the three models, but that is not recommended.
Valve has warned users that modifying or replacing the hardware can affect the device’s functionality. For instance, improper battery replacement can lead to Steam Deck catching fire.
And given the device’s functioning and initial reviews, most users wouldn’t need to upgrade Steam Deck. Just update the software regularly, and things should work fine.
How do I update Steam Deck firmware?
- Turn on Steam Deck, and then press the STEAM button on it.
- Tap on Settings on the left.
- Now, navigate to the System tab and click on Check For Updates on the right.
- If an update is listed after the scan, click on Apply. All angles are introduced in the new version, and other relevant details are listed under the update. (A small yellow exclamation mark near the System icon indicates that an update is available)
- Once the update is installed, tap on Restart for the changes to kick in.
- After Steam Deck restarts, repeat the process once to verify that all the pending updates have been successfully installed.
That’s it! Steam Deck software update should be a cakewalk for most of you who had trouble with it until now.
Will there be a Steam Deck 2?
Yes, there will be a Steam Deck 2, an upgraded version of Steam Deck. One of the Co-founders at Valve confirmed this and hinted at the Steam Deck’s 50-page booklet.
So, if you loved the first generation of it, there will be further iterations of Steam Deck with improved specs to follow and upgrades to the SteamOS.
Can you play Steam Deck offline?
Users can play games offline on Steam Deck, as with other gaming consoles and devices. But, again, you would need a stable Internet connection initially to download the game.
Also, some games may require an Internet connection while playing. So you will check that out, but most would work seamlessly without one.
That’s all there’s to software updates on Steam Deck. We also tried to clear some trending queries regarding them openly and hope the information proved helpful.
Besides, find out the games available on Steam Deck. If your favorite appears on the list, make sure to give it today itself!
If you ever encounter the Steam Deck fatal error, check out our dedicated guide for help.
Share your reviews of Steam Deck or post any queries that you may have in the comments section below.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.