- Steam is one of the best and most reliable game client packages, but it still throws out occasional error messages.
- Here we look at some of the more likely fixes for Steam Error 118.
- For more troubleshooting guides, be sure to check out our dedicated Steam hub.
- For even more interesting articles, check out our Steam page.
Steam Error Code 118 is an issue that can arise for some users when they try to open the Store or Library from Steam. The error message states:
Unable to connect to server. Server may be offline or you may not be connected to the internet.
As a consequence, users can’t access the Steam Store or Library.
Check out these potential fixes for Steam Error Code 118
1. Restart router
First, restart your router. To do so, unplug the router from wall. Wait a few minutes before plugging the router back in. Then wait a few more minutes before opening Steam.
2. Clean boot Windows
- Conflicting third-party programs and software can generate Steam Error Code 118, which a clean boot will resolve.
- To clean boot Windows 10, launch Run with the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut.
- Type msconfig in Run and click OK to open the window shown in the image directly below.
- On the General tab, select the Selective startup radio button.
- Uncheck the Load selected startup check box.
- Select the Load system services and Use original boot configuration settings there.
- Click the Services tab shown directly below.
- There select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, which removes more essential services from the list.
- Then select the Disable all option to deselect all the third-party services.
- Next, click the Apply option.
- Press the OK button to exit the window.
- Click Restart on the dialog box that pops up.
Open Steam after clean-booting Windows. If Steam Error Code 118 is now resolved, one of the third-party startup programs or services was conflicting with Steam.
You’ll need to figure out exactly which program or service is conflicting with the software by restoring startup items one at a time. Alternatively, you could just leave the boot settings as they are.
3. Check if Windows Defender Firewall is blocking Steam
- The Windows Defender Firewall might be blocking Steam.
- To check, press the Windows key + S hotkey to open the search utility.
- Type firewall in the search box that opens.
- Click Windows Defender Firewall to open the Control Panel applet for it.
- Click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall on the left of the firewall’s applet.
- Click Change settings to adjust firewall app permissions on the left side of the window.
- Then check that the Public and Private check boxes for the Steam Client are selected. If they’re not, select both those check boxes.
- Click the OK button to exit the window.
Some third-party antivirus utilities have firewalls too. Therefore, some users might need to disable their third-party antivirus utilities. To do that, right-click the antivirus software’s system try icon to open its context menu.
That context menu will probably include a disable option that will turn off the antivirus software. There might also be a more specific option to disable the antivirus utility’s firewall on its context menu.
4. Run an antivirus scan
- A virus might also be responsible for Steam Error Code 118.
- To scan with Windows 10’s default antivirus utility, press the Windows key + S hotkey.
- Input the keyword Windows Security, and then click that app to open it.
- Click Scan options on the Virus & threat protection tab shown directly below.
- Select the Full scan option.
- Press the Scan now button.
Those are some of the resolutions that could fix Steam Error Code 118. If none of the above resolutions do the trick, however, check if Steam is down at Downdetector.com. There might be a Steam server outage that users can’t fix.
FAQ: Learn more about Steam
- Is Steam free?
Yes, downloading, installing, and using Steam is completely free, without any hidden costs whatsoever.
- How can I stop Steam from launching at Startup?
Stopping Steam from launching at Startup is fairly simple. Simply follow the steps written in this guide.
- Can I find my friends on Steam?
Yes, finding contacts that also use Steam is incredibly simple. Simply follow the steps mentioned in this detailed article.