- Street Fighter 5 is a fluid, reliable game and one of the most popular fighting games available.
- If the Street Fighter V game refuses to start, take these steps: update the game and/or Steam. Run then both as admin and whitelist them on your antivirus. More in the article.
- We have an entire section dedicated to Windows 10 gaming for gamers young and old, big or small - everybody is welcomed.
- See our general Gaming section for more articles on this subject.
Street Fighter 5 is a fluid, reliable game, but sometimes players can’t launch it. When they hit the play button, nothing happens, an error message appears on the screen, or the loading process suddenly stops.
Here’s how one gamer describes this issue:
Downloaded game, downloaded update. Game will not launch when I hit play. My frame turns green for maybe 2 seconds, then absolutely nothing happens. The game will not even launch. No error. No nothing. It just won’t even start.
If you can’t launch Street Fighter 5, follow the troubleshooting steps listed in this article to solve the problem.
How to fix Street Fighter V launch issues
- Add Street Fighter V to your antivirus’ exceptions list
- Install the latest Windows and driver updates
- Restart your PC, run both Steam and SFV as an Administrator
- Verify the integrity of the game cache
- Perform a clean boot
- Disable IPv6
- Unplug all the peripherals
1. Add Street Fighter V to your antivirus’ exceptions list
One of the reasons why you can’t launch Street Fighter 5 is because the game conflicts with your antivirus and security programs. Many players confirm that adding ST5 to your antivirus’ exceptions list fixes this problem.
It appears that Windows Defender, Security Essentials, AVG and Avast Antivirus often have false positives on the external SFV launcher.
2. Install the latest Windows and driver updates
Make sure that your computer has all the necessary resources to properly run this game. Install the latest OS updates available, as well as the latest graphics driver updates.
3. Restart your PC, run both Steam and SFV as an Administrator
This might help, as well. The first thing you should do is reboot your PC. After that, right-click on both Steam‘s and SFV’s shortcuts respectively, and open Properties. In the Compatibilty tab, check the “Run this program as an administrator” box and confirm changes.
4. Verify the integrity of the game cache
For a step-by-step guide, check out the steps we provided below:
- Open Steam.
- Right-click on the Street Fighter 5 in the Library and open Properties.
- Choose Local files.
- Click Verify the integrity of the game cache.
5. Perform a clean boot
- Type System Configuration in the search box > hit Enter
- On the Services tab > select the Hide all Microsoft services check box > click Disable all.
- On the Startup tab > click on Open Task Manager.
- On the Startup tab in Task Manager > select all items > click Disable.
- Close the Task Manager.
- On the Startup tab of the System Configuration dialog box >click OK > restart your computer.
6. Disable IPv6
You can use this workaround to fix both ST5 launch issues, as well as random crashes:
- Go to Start > type “View network connections” > select the first result
- Right-click your Ethernet adapters > go to Properties > Disable IPv6
7. Unplug all the peripherals
Unplug all the peripherals from your computer, launch ST5 and then plug them back in. This helped some users as there’s seemingly an issue with
We hope that the solutions listed above helped you to fix Street Fighter 5’s launch issues. If you’ve come across other workarounds to fix this problem, you can list the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Street Fighter V
- Is Street Fighter 5 dead?
At the time of this writing (Spring 2020), Street Fighter just received a new update last Winter called the Champion Edition. Because of this, we can say that the answer is simply No.
- Is Street Fighter V good now?
It has received numerous updates containing new content as well as bug fixes so now it should be better. Our guide also helps fix launch issues.
- Will there be a Street Fighter 6?
While nothing official, we are pretty sure that Capcom has plans to develop and release Street Fighter 6 in the following years.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated in April 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in May 2017 and was revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.