- Syslog management solutions can help system administrators aggregate, normalize and leverage logs to keep their system running smoothly.
- Log managers gather the text-based log files and show insightful data to help you determine the cause of the issue.
- Syslog management solutions help you identify suspicious events on your network.
- You can create custom alerts depending on various parameters to filter through false alerts.
Plain-text log management was the norm for many years, and still can be useful in many situations, but a reliable management tool can do much more. Syslog management solutions can help you gather critical data about your network, improve the quality of code and your business workflow.
Logs are messy, but a critical aspect of any system. A log management tool can take all the messy data and present it in a visualized way to help you quickly determine the cause of any application problem.
How is syslog managed?
Syslog consists of information generated by the network devices such as a server, firewall and routers. Trying to manage these text-based logs manually is a challenging task. Syslog management solutions provide an easy way to manage those logs.
In this article, we have listed the best syslog management solutions to help you pick the right tool for your needs.
What are the best syslog management solutions?
Syslog is a standard for sending log messages with a network and is supported by a number of devices providing a wide range of systems info. Syslog monitoring solutions help you capture and monitor syslog messages and analyze the content of all the messages that are sent to the tool. Explore the tools in this article to get all relevant information with regard to the message, including IP address, time of the message and potential emergencies.
Apart from the syslog management capabilities, PRTG Network Monitor allows you to monitor the availability of all hardware in your network, check network bandwidth usage, downtime reports, port report, and top 10 Talkers report.
Key features of PRTG Network Monitor:
- Capture and analyze syslog messages
- Alerts in the event of syslog error incidents
- Downtime report, port reports and top 10 talkers report.
- Analyzes severity level to check for potential emergencies
PRTG Network Monitor
Track everything happening in your local network with the help of the world’s best monitoring tool!
ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer is an all-in-one log management, auditing and IT compliance solution. It allows you to know what’s happening in your network and offers insights into potential threats and prevents any attack. Custom log parsers can extract fields of log formats and offer a single console for viewing all your security log data.
ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer can listen to your logs, audit network devices, conduct in-depth application auditing and provide real-time event log correlation to trace potential security threats.
Key features of ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer:
- Collect, manage, analyze, correlate, and search through the log data
- Audits log data from perimeter devices
- Audits critical changes, detect data theft, identify attacks and track downtime
- Integrated compliance management
Whatsup Gold Log Management is an automated tool that collects, stores, archives and saves logs from Windows events and more. It provides easy device log data management. You can monitor, filter, search and alert logs for every device in your network with additional insights for log volume changes.
Whatsup Gold Log Management offers a convenient way to manage the system and Windows log events, focusing on pre-and post-filtering capabilities to reduce the firehose of logs. It can send system alerts via the web, email, SMS or even third-party software like Slack when log status or events are triggered.
Key features of Whatsup Gold Log Management:
- Visualize and control your system logs
- Can filter Windows Event Logs and Syslogs
- View log status and events on customizable dashboards
- Automatic alerts on predefined conditions
LogDNA is a powerful Syslog management solution that comes with powerful exclusion rules to store what’s important and keep your log volume under control. Using the tool, you can achieve everything and forward it to S3 or any other storage services. It can also visualize and aggregate critical events to pinpoint the issues in your system.
LogDNA offers role-based access control to limit unauthorized access to sensitive logs and actions, SS0/SML for enterprise-grade user authentication, and usage reporting to ensure you are keeping an eye on your volume.
Key features of LogDNA:
- Powerful Syslog manager with exclusion rules and archive features
- Analysis and monitoring tools to visualize critical events
- One-click filters to drill down based on app, host, cluster
- Hhuman search syntax and presence/absence alerts
Kiwi Syslog Server is a syslog management solution that allows you to centralize and simplify log management across network devices and servers. You can manage syslog messages and SNMP traps from network devices, including Linux, UNIX, and Windows systems from a single dashboard. You can receive real-time alerts based on syslog messages and automatically respond to them with auto-triggering scripts.
Key features of Kiwi Syslog Server:
- Affordable syslog management software to manage SNMP traps and Windows event logs
- Centralized syslog management for Linux, Unix and Windows systems
- Real-time alerts based on syslog messages
- Troubleshoot systems and network devices by quickly determining the issue
With Datadog Log Collection & Management solution, you can easily collect and manage logs across your environment, from apps, server and browser and all of the other services in-between. With custom processing pipeline development, you can automatically parse and enrich raw logs to extract the most insights from your data.
Other features offered by Datadog Log Collection & Management include discovering log patterns and errors rapidly, automatically detecting outliers, anomalies and log errors, quickly access old logs, and decreasing the retention period per log index.
Key features of Datadog Log Collection & Management :
- Powerful log management solution to collect data from apps, server and browsers
- Create analytics dashboard in seconds with datalog
- Set up alerts for anomalies and outliers
- Add comments to your alerts and notify the team through Slack, PagerDuty and more
Sematext’s syslog management solution offers secure & scalable monitoring and logging services with fast and powerful human syntax search, easy setup and support for log shippers such as Logstash, Filebeat, Rsyslog, Logagenet and more.
Centralized logging system makes real-time log monitoring and analysis from a single dashboard offering structured and organized insightful data with automated log parsing and structuring. Other features include log alerts, log security, live tail and multi-user role-based access control.
Key features of Sematext Cloud Log Management and Analysis:
- Easier user access management from a single dashboard
- Compatible with multiple log shippers, libraries, platforms and frameworks
- Saves searches and log taggings
- Powerful searching and filtering system
Splunk is a tool to search and analyze all your log data and is compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux platforms. It let’s you search, alert, report and monitor all your logs from one dashboard in real-time. Apart from including custom application logs and multiline logs across both virtual and non-virtual environments, you can also troubleshoot application outages, check for security vulnerabilities and demonstrate compliance in minutes.
Key features of Splunk:
- Powerful tools to search and analyze system log files
- You can search, set alerts, view the report and monitor all the logs from one centralized dashboard
- Indexes all your data from both virtual and non-virtual environments
- Troubleshoot application outages and check for system threats
Graylog offers a seamless log data collection, faster analysis and security. It provides insight into your data by building and combining multiple searches for customized analysis and report. You can also build complex alerts depending on the events or missing events collected by the service.
Other features of Graylog include building and executing queries in a few minutes and viewing log data in real-time. For threat-hunting or root cause analysis workflow, you can chain queries together.
Key features of Graylog:
- Centralized log management solution for data collection and faster analysis
- Gain insight into your data by building and combining multiple searches
- Custom alerts build based on a relationship between multiple events
- Threat hunting and security and compliance
GoAccess is an open-source real-time web log analyzer and interactive viewer that runs in a command window. You can also run it through your browser to get fast and valuable HTTP statistics.
While the tool offers default terminal output, it can generate a complete, self-contained real-time HTML, Jason, and CSV report.
Key features of GoAccess:
- Fast, and real-time open-source log manager
- Support all the major log formats including Apache, Nginx, Amazon S3, Elastic Load Balancing and more
- Clean terminal and bootstrap dashboard
Logs are messy, and depending on your network’s amount of log, it can be challenging to deal with. That said, syslog management is still a very critical aspect of any business.
Syslog management tools can help you make sense of the web of system logs and easily pinpoint the cause of the issue triggered by an application.
Explore all the tools listed in this article to find the one that meets your requirement the best.