- Syslog management solutions can help system administrators aggregate, normalize and leverage logs to keep their systems running smoothly.
- Log managers gather the text-based log files and show insightful data to help you determine the cause of the issue.
- These tools help you identify suspicious events on your network based on various parameters to filter through false alerts.
Plain-text log management was the norm for many years, and still can be useful in many situations, but a reliable management tool can do much more.
Syslog management solutions can help you gather critical data about your network, and improve the quality of code and your business workflow.
Logs are messy, but a critical aspect of any system. A log management tool can take all the messy data and present it in a visualized way to help you quickly determine the cause of any application problem.
How are syslog managed?
Syslog consists of information generated by the network devices such as a server, firewall, and routers.
Trying to manage these text-based logs manually is a challenging task. Syslog management solutions provide an easy way to manage those logs.
In this article, we have listed the best syslog management solutions to help you pick the right tool for your needs.
What are the best syslog management solutions?
ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer – Great for network management
ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer is an all-in-one log management, auditing, and IT compliance solution.
It allows you to know what’s happening in your network and offers insights into potential threats and prevents any attack.
Custom log parsers can extract fields of log formats and offer a single console for viewing all your security log data.
ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer can listen to your logs, audit network devices, conduct in-depth application auditing and provide real-time event log correlation to trace potential security threats.
Key features of ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer:
- Collect, manage, analyze, correlate, and search through the log data
- Audits log data from perimeter devices
- Audits critical changes, detects data theft, identifies attacks, and tracks downtime
- Integrated compliance management
ManageEngine EventLog Analyzer
Collect, manage, analyze, and correlate all system logs on your network devices with this great tool!
Log360 – Great event detection and reporting
Log360 is one of the best syslog management solutions that will also ensure fast response for your IT personnel in case of emergency.
The tool tracks all the possible events from all your devices within the network, including file and web servers, Microsoft 365 and Exchange servers, and a lot more.
The solution even logs events from public cloud platforms, like AWS (Amazon Web Services), Microsoft Azure, Salesforce, and others.
All you need to do is to customize the alert profiles to get complete reports on any syslog produced by your devices.
Log360 is not limited to sys logging management but also focuses on tracking file integrity and detecting any changes made to sensitive data within your devices.
And if you were also looking for ticketing, the tool integrates services like ServiceDesk Plus, Jira Service Desk, Kayako, and more.
Take a look at some of its best features:
- Advanced sys logging management tools
- Customizable alerts and profiles
- Analyzes logs from any network devices, including file servers and databases
- File integrity monitoring
- Monitors cloud platforms like AWS and Microsoft Azure
This tool not only offers a complete analysis of your sys logs but also provides alerts for quick response.
PRTG Network Monitor – Best network logging tool
Syslog is a standard for sending log messages with a network and is supported by a number of devices providing a wide range of systems info.
Syslog monitoring solutions help you capture and monitor syslog messages and analyze the content of all the messages that are sent to the tool.
Explore the tools in this article to get all relevant information with regard to the message, including IP address, time of the message, and potential emergencies.
Apart from the syslog management capabilities, PRTG Network Monitor allows you to monitor the availability of all hardware in your network, check network bandwidth usage, downtime reports, port report, and top 10 Talkers report.
Key features of PRTG Network Monitor:
- Capture and analyze syslog messages
- Alerts in the event of syslog error incidents
- Downtime report, port reports and top 10 talkers report.
- Analyzes severity level to check for potential emergencies
PRTG Network Monitor
Track everything happening in your local network with the help of the world’s best monitoring tool!
Whatsup Gold Log Management – Ideal for log collection automation
Whatsup Gold Log Management is an automated tool that collects, stores, archives, and saves logs from Windows events and more.
It provides easy device log data management. You can monitor, filter, search and alert logs for every device in your network with additional insights for log volume changes.
Whatsup Gold Log Management offers a convenient way to manage the system and Windows log events, focusing on pre-and post-filtering capabilities to reduce the firehose of logs.
It can send system alerts via the web, email, SMS, or even third-party software like Slack when log status or events are triggered.
Key features of Whatsup Gold Log Management:
- Visualize and control your system logs
- Can filter Windows Event Logs and Syslogs
- View log status and events on customizable dashboards
- Automatic alerts on predefined conditions
LogDNA – Great visual interface
LogDNA is a powerful Syslog management solution that comes with powerful exclusion rules to store what’s important and keep your log volume under control.
Using the tool, you can achieve everything and forward it to S3 or any other storage services. It can also visualize and aggregate critical events to pinpoint the issues in your system.
LogDNA offers role-based access control to limit unauthorized access to sensitive logs and actions, SS0/SML for enterprise-grade user authentication, and usage reporting to ensure you are keeping an eye on your volume.
Key features of LogDNA:
- Powerful Syslog manager with exclusion rules and archive features
- Analysis and monitoring tools to visualize critical events
- One-click filters to drill down based on app, host, cluster
- Hhuman search syntax and presence/absence alerts
Kiwi Syslog Server – Perfect to centralize logs
Kiwi Syslog Server is a syslog management solution that allows you to centralize and simplify log management across network devices and servers.
You can manage syslog messages and SNMP traps from network devices, including Linux, UNIX, and Windows systems from a single dashboard.
You can receive real-time alerts based on syslog messages and automatically respond to them with auto-triggering scripts.
Key features of Kiwi Syslog Server:
- Affordable syslog management software to manage SNMP traps and Windows event logs
- Centralized syslog management for Linux, Unix, and Windows systems
- Real-time alerts based on syslog messages
- Troubleshoot systems and network devices by quickly determining the issue
Datadog Log Collection & Management – Easy to use by non-professionals
With Datadog Log Collection & Management solution, you can easily collect and manage logs across your environment, from apps, servers, and browsers, and all of the other services in-between.
With custom processing pipeline development, you can automatically parse and enrich raw logs to extract the most insights from your data.
Other features offered by Datadog Log Collection & Management include discovering log patterns and errors rapidly, automatically detecting outliers, anomalies, and log errors, quickly accessing old logs, and decreasing the retention period per log index.
Key features of Datadog Log Collection & Management:
- Powerful log management solution to collect data from apps, server, and browsers
- Create analytics dashboard in seconds with datalog
- Set up alerts for anomalies and outliers
- Add comments to your alerts and notify the team through Slack, PagerDuty, and more
Sematext Cloud Log Management and Analysis – Real-time monitoring
Sematext’s syslog management solution offers secure & scalable monitoring and logging services with fast and powerful human syntax search, easy setup, and support for log shippers such as Logstash, Filebeat, Rsyslog, Logagenet, and more.
Centralized logging system makes real-time log monitoring and analysis from a single dashboard offering structured and organized insightful data with automated log parsing and structuring.
Other features include log alerts, log security, live tail, and multi-user role-based access control.
Key features of Sematext Cloud Log Management and Analysis:
- Easier user access management from a single dashboard
- Compatible with multiple log shippers, libraries, platforms, and frameworks
- Saves searches and log taggings
- Powerful searching and filtering system
Splunk – Ideal for virtual and non-virtual environments
Splunk is a tool to search and analyze all your log data and is compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms.
It lets you search, alert, report, and monitor all your logs from one dashboard in real-time.
Apart from including custom application logs and multiline logs across both virtual and non-virtual environments, you can also troubleshoot application outages, check for security vulnerabilities and demonstrate compliance in minutes.
Key features of Splunk:
- Powerful tools to search and analyze system log files
- You can search, set alerts, view the report, and monitor all the logs from one centralized dashboard
- Indexes all your data from both virtual and non-virtual environments
- Troubleshoot application outages and check for system threats
Graylog – Great for fast analysis
Graylog offers seamless log data collection, faster analysis, and security. It provides insight into your data by building and combining multiple searches for customized analysis and reports.
You can also build complex alerts depending on the events or missing events collected by the service.
Other features of Graylog include building and executing queries in a few minutes and viewing log data in real-time. For threat-hunting or root cause analysis workflow, you can chain queries together.
Key features of Graylog:
- Centralized log management solution for data collection and faster analysis
- Gain insight into your data by building and combining multiple searches
- Custom alerts build based on a relationship between multiple events
- Threat hunting and security and compliance
GoAccess – Best open-source real-time web log analyze
GoAccess is an open-source real-time web log analyzer and interactive viewer that runs in a command window. You can also run it through your browser to get fast and valuable HTTP statistics.
While the tool offers default terminal output, it can generate a complete, self-contained real-time HTML, Jason, and CSV report.
Key features of GoAccess:
- Fast, and real-time open-source log manager
- Support all the major log formats including Apache, Nginx, Amazon S3, Elastic Load Balancing, and more
- Clean terminal and bootstrap dashboard
Logs are messy and, depending on your network’s amount of log, they can be challenging to deal with. That said, syslog management is still a very critical aspect of any business.
Syslog management tools can help you make sense of the web of system logs and easily pinpoint the cause of the issue triggered by an application.
Explore all the tools listed in this article to find the one that meets your requirement the best.