“The specified module could not be found” USB error [Fix]
One of the most annoying errors that you can experience with your USB flash drive is The specified module could not be found error. This error can prevent you from accessing your files, so today we’re going to show you how to fix it on Windows 10.
How to fix “The specified module could not be found” USB error?
Fix – “The specified module could not be found” USB
Solution 1 – Scan your USB drive for viruses
The specified module could not be found error can sometimes be related to virus infection. To ensure that you don’t infect your PC, we advise you to scan your drive with an antivirus software. In addition to your regular antivirus, we advise you to use malware removal tool such as Malwarebytes or similar. If you find any viruses on your drive, be sure to remove them. After removing the viruses, try to access your flash drive again.
Update: We have to mention that the newest antivirus versions have malware detection included. World’s Nr. 1 antivirus at this moment is Bitdefender. With a huge pack of security features, it also keeps your computer away from any malware and it will clean your USB in a second.
We strongly recommend you change your antivirus in case it is a free or cracked version as it’s more than sure that it is outdated and obsolete.
Solution 2 – Use Command Prompt
The specified module could not be found also appears if the attributes of your flash drive are modified. This usually occurs after a virus infection, so if you haven’t scanned your flash drive already, we urge you to do so. To change the attributes of your flash drive, do the following:
- Check the drive letter of your flash drive. You can do that by opening This PC. Be sure to memorize the correct letter of your USB flash drive. In our case, the assigned letter is F, but it might be different on your computer.
- Now open Command Prompt as administrator. To do that, press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- When Command Prompt opens, you need to enter attrib -h -r -s F:*.* /s /d. Be sure to replace F: with the letter that you got in Step 1. In our example we got F, but you might get a different letter on your PC. It’s important to use the correct letter, but if you accidentally enter the wrong letter you can cause issues with your PC, so be cautious.
- Press Enter to run the command.
- After the command is executed, close Command Prompt.
After doing that, you should be able to access your flash drive without any issues.
Some users are also suggesting to copy the contents of your flash drive to your hard drive and then use the Command Prompt to fix the problem. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open This PC and locate your USB flash drive. Right click it and select Copy from the menu.
- Paste the content of your flash drive to a desired folder on your hard drive. We created a new folder just for this purpose.
- Hold the Shift key on your keyboard and right click the folder that has files from your USB flash drive in it. Choose Open command window here from the menu.
- Command Prompt will now appear. Enter attrib -r -s -h /s /d command and press Enter to run it.
- After running the command, close Command Prompt.
Now you should be able to access backed up files without issues. Last thing that you need to do is to format your USB flash drive. To do that, follow these steps:
- Go to This PC, locate your USB flash drive, right click it and select Format from the menu.
- Select formatting options and click the Start button.
- Wait while Windows 10 formats your drive.
After your drive is formatted, you should be able to access it without any problems.
The specified module could not be found USB error will prevent you from accessing files on your USB flash drive. Users reported that changing the attributes of your flash drive can easily fix the problem, so be sure to try that. In addition, it’s always a good idea to scan your flash drive and be sure that it’s clean from viruses.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2017 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness. We want to be sure that our list has the best products that will fit your needs.
- Fix: ‘Set up OneDrive’ keeps popping up
- “This installation package could not be opened” [Fix]
- Fix: Application not responding in Windows 10
- Fix: “Application not found” error on Windows 10
- How to fix Adobe error 16 on Windows 10
Errors like the avipbb.sys can be very frustrating for a beginner to fix. Even some professionals might encounter issues while fixing this error. Having this […]
Microsoft rolled out new features to Microsoft Teams — an enterprise chat-based collaboration solution. Enterprise users will find there is a new Microsoft Whiteboard integration […]