Fix: “There is a problem connecting securely to this website” invalid certificate error
Some Internet Explorer and Edge users have encountered an error message that states: “There is a problem connecting securely to this website. The security certificate presented by this website is not secure.” This is effectively an invalid certificate issue that can occur in any browser, albeit the error messages presented aren’t always entirely the same. In this case, the error blocks you opening the web page. Here are a few remedies that might fix this error.
There is a problem connecting securely to this website message will prevent you from accessing certain websites, and speaking of this issue, here are some similar problems reported by users:
- There is a problem connecting securely to this website no option to continue – This issue usually occurs if your clock isn’t correct. However, you can fix that simply by readjusting your date and time.
- There is a problem connecting securely to this website Chrome, IE11, Edge – This issue can appear in various browsers, and the cause is usually your antivirus. To fix the issue, disable your antivirus or switch to a different browser.
- There is a problem connecting securely to this website Facebook, YouTube, Outlook, PayPal, Netflix, Wikipedia – Sometimes you might not be able to access a specific website due to this error. To fix that, simply add the website to the Trusted Websites section and check if that solves your problem.
Solution 1 – Check your antivirus
In some cases, There is a problem connecting securely to this website error can appear due to your antivirus. Certain security settings can interfere with your system, and cause this issue to appear, but you can fix that by disabling certain antivirus features.
If that doesn’t work, you might have to disable your antivirus entirely. In a couple of cases, users had to remove third-party software from their PC in order to fix this issue. According to users, antivirus software such as Norton or Avast can cause this issue, so if you’re using it, be sure to remove it.
Once you remove your antivirus, the issue should be fixed. If the issue doesn’t appear after removing the antivirus, you should consider switching to a different antivirus solution. If you’re looking for a secure antivirus that won’t interfere with your operating system in any way, you should definitely consider BullGuard.
Solution 2 – Check your date and time
A common cause for There is a problem connecting securely to this website error message might be your time and date. Your browser uses certain certificates, and if those certificates are expired, you might not be able to access a certain website.
As you can probably realize, the certificates are closely related to the current date and time on your PC, and if time and date aren’t correct for some reason, you might encounter this issue. To fix the problem, it’s required that you adjust your date and time. This is quite simple, and you can do it by following these steps:
- Right-click the clock icon on your Taskbar. Select Adjust date/time from the menu.
- Disable Set time automatically option. After a couple of moments, turn this option back on again.
This will resynchronize your time and date. Once your date and time are set, the issue should be resolved. Keep in mind that you can also adjust your date and time manually by clicking the Change button.
If the clock on Windows 10 is wrong it’s possible that your motherboard battery is drained, so you’ll need to replace it. This process is relatively simple, and you just need to disconnect your PC from the power outlet, open the computer case and carefully remove the battery from your motherboard.
Once you remove the battery, replace it with a new one and the problem should be completely resolved.
Solution 3 – Add the Website to Trusted Websites
Sometimes There is a problem connecting securely to this website message can appear if there’s a problem with security settings. To fix this issue, you need to add the website you’re trying to access to the Trusted Websites category.
When it comes to Trusted Websites category, be sure to add only websites that you truly trust, and not some random websites that you’re visiting for the first time. To add a website to this category, you just need to do the following:
- Press Windows Key + S and enter internet options. Select Internet Options from the list of results.
- Navigate to Security and choose Trusted sites category. Click the Sites button.
- Enter the URL in the Add this website to the zone section and click the Add button.
- Once you add the website to the trusted list, save changes.
After you add the desired website to the Trusted Website zone, check if the issue is resolved.
We strongly recommend securing your browsing experience with a good VPN. When you try to access a website, CyberGhost VPN can make sure it’s safe for you, by running a thorough check on that URL in a dedicated database. Download now CyberGhost VPN (discount offer)
Solution 4 – Clear the SSL Cache
In some cases, There is a problem connecting securely to this website message can appear due to SSL cache. Sometimes this cache can be corrupted, and that can lead to various errors. However, you can clear the SSL cache by doing the following:
- Clearing the SSL cache might erase corrupted certificate data. You can clear the SSL cache by opening the Network and Sharing Control Panel tab.
- Click Internet Options to open further settings.
- Now select the Content tab shown below. Press the Clear SLL slate button on that tab.
Solution 5 – Update the Root Certificate
Windows automatically updates built-in root certificates, so you shouldn’t usually have to manually update them. Nevertheless, you can also install the latest root update packages from the Microsoft Update Catalog if updates are required. Open this website page, and then enter ‘root certificate update’ in its search box.
The search results might list update packages for various 32 and 64-bit platforms. Press the Download button for the root update package that matches your platform.
Solution 6 – Remove OpenDNS
This fix is more specifically for resolving the certificate error when browsing on corporate networks. OpenDNS is a service that enhances the Domain Name System on many corporate networks, but it also blocks more legitimate websites. As such, removing OpenDNS on network PCs might also feasibly fix this error.
- Open the Network and Sharing tab in the Control Panel.
- Click either Wireless Connections or Local Area Connection to open the window directly below.
- Press the Properties button there to open the window shown below.
- Now you can double-click the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) setting.
- Delete the DNS server address numbers listed.
- Select the Obtain DNS server address automatically option.
- Press the OK button to confirm the new settings. Now you’ve effectively erased the OpenDNS server addresses, previously blocked sites might open.
Solution 9 – Try a different browser
There is a problem connecting securely to this website message can be sometimes related to your browser, and if you want to fix it, it’s advised that you temporarily switch to a different browser.
If the issue doesn’t appear on another browser, you should switch to it and use it instead of your current browser, for the time being.
One of those remedies will probably fix the “problem connecting securely to this website” certificate error for the Internet Explorer and Edge browsers at least. This Windows Report article also provides further details for how you can fix a similar invalid certificate error.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Fix: Dropbox “No internet connection” error in Windows 10, 8.1
- Fix: ‘The remote connection was not made’ Windows 10 error
- Fix: “The remote connection was denied” in Windows 10
- Fix: Wi-Fi is getting disconnected when a VPN connection is made
- Full Fix: My internet connection is limited in Windows 10
We have all sorts of applications on our PC, but sometimes certain apps can become grayed out and unable to remove. This can be a […]
Managing a wellness center, a beauty center, or a salon can be very stressful and demanding. This is especially true if you have always used […]
To make the most of every day, you need to be organized. In this way, you will have almost everything under control. Using a schedule […]