How to fix THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER error in Windows 10
Blue Screen of Death comes with certain error code and name, and some Windows 10 users have reported THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER error.
This error can cause a lot of problems, so you might want to have a closer look at our solution in order to fix this problem.
How to fix THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER error in Windows 10
- Uninstall the currently installed display driver and install the latest drivers
- Repair your registry
- Check if your computer is overheating
- Update BIOS
- Replace the video/sound card
Your graphic card usually causes THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. This error can prevent you from playing your favorite video games, or enjoying multimedia by frequent restarts.
In addition, some users report that their computers are restarting after few minutes. For this, they can’t do any serious tasks without being interrupted by this error.
Fortunately for you, this error can be fixed, and as far as we know the AMD graphic card driver causes it. In order to fix this error you need to do the following.
1. Uninstall the currently installed display driver and install the latest drivers
- Open Device Manager and locate your display driver.
- Right click it and choose Uninstall.
- Check the Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.
Now you should install the default display driver. Then, you can continue to use it, but it’s often advised that you update it with the latest drivers.
To do this, you’ll need to find your graphic card model, go to your graphic card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers.
Update drivers automatically
Downloading drivers manually is a process that carries the risk of installing the wrong driver, which may lead to serious malfunctions.
Also, the safer and easier way to update drivers on a Windows computer is to use an automatic tool such as TweakBit Driver Updater.
In additon, Driver Updater automatically identifies each device on your computer and matches it with the latest driver versions from an extensive online database.
Drivers can then be updated in batches or one at a time, without requiring the user to make any complex decisions in the process. Here is how it works:
- Download and install TweakBit Driver Updater
- Once installed, the program will start scanning your PC for outdated drivers automatically. Driver Updater will check your installed driver versions against its cloud database of the latest versions and recommend proper updates. All you need to do is wait for the scan to complete.
- Upon scan completion, you get a report on all problem drivers found on your PC. Review the list and see if you want to update each driver individually or all at once. To update one driver at a time, click the ‘Update driver’ link next to the driver name. Or simply click the ‘Update all’ button at the bottom to automatically install all recommended updates.
Note: Some drivers need multiple steps to be installed so you will have to hit the ‘Update’ button several times.
Disclaimer: some functions of this tool are not free.
If the error persists, follow the same procedure to update the sound drivers as well.
2. Repair your registry
Corrupted or missing registry key may cause various driver errors.
In order to fix these issues, you need to repair your registry. You can do that either by using a dedicated tool, such as CCleaner or Microsoft’s System File Checker.
Also, don’t forget to first backup your registry in case anything goes wrong so that you can restore your functional registry version.
Here’s how to run an SFC scan:
1. Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator
2. Now type the sfc /scannow command
3. Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
3. Check if your computer is overheating
If your computer is overheating, this may explain the THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER error.
Check if there are any particular apps and programs that may be causing high CPU usage and high temperature and disable them as soon as possible.
You can install a dedicated software to monitor your CPU’s temperature. Also, you can use the Task Manager to identify which programs are putting too much pressure on your processor.
- Go to Start > type ‘Task Manager‘> double click the first result to launch the tool.
- Click on the CPU column to filter the results.
4. Update BIOS
Many Windows 10 users confirmed that updating BIOS helped them fix this driver error. For more information on how to update BIOS depending on computer model, check out the official guides below:
- How to update BIOS on Dell computers
- Update BIOS on HP computer
- How to update BIOS on Lenovo computers
- How to update BIOS on ASUS devices
5. Replace the video/sound card
If none of the solutions listed above helped you fix the THREAD STUCK IN DEVICE DRIVER error, try to replace your video or sound card.
Faulty video/sound cards may also trigger this error and if none of the troubleshooting steps available in this article helped you, chances are that these pieces of hardware are no longer working properly.
As you can see THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER isn’t a big problem and it can be easily resolved by installing the default drivers or by updating your display drivers to the newest version.
So far we don’t know if NVIDIA users are affected by this issue, but it has been confirmed that updating drivers resolves the issue for AMD users. Moreover, we assume that the similar solution will work for NVIDIA users as well.
If you’ve come across other solutions to fix this annoying driver error, don’t forget to list the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in December 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Full Fix: Driver irql_less_or_not_equal error on Windows 10
- “The driver has been blocked from loading”: 3 ways to fix it
- No sound after Realtek driver update? Here’s how to fix this issue
Mass Effect: Andromeda is an action role-playing game with single player and multiplayer modes. However, some players have stated on EA’s forum that they can’t […]
Netflix is a popular movie and TV show streaming platform, but many users reported This version of Netflix is not compatible error. This is a […]