- Using a mouse and having your touchpad active can get pretty difficult when you are trying to work on the laptop and suddenly the mouse cursor jumps all over the screen.
- If you want to disable the laptop touchpad, you have an option baked into Windows, but failing that, there are other solutions you can try.
- Thinking of becoming a laptop power user and a wiz at fixing issues? Then our Laptop Troubleshooting page will be an invaluable resource to you.
- For all things Windows, be it laptops or PCs and general Windows 10 queries, we have an extensive collection of guides on our How To section.
Many Windows 10 users while working on their laptops are accidentally touching the laptop’s touchpad thus making the mouse cursor move. By following the tutorial below you can learn how to turn off the touchpad and also from where you can activate it again if you ever want to switch from the classical mouse to the touchpad again in Windows.
How do I turn off the touchpad in Windows 10?
1. Use the functions keys
- Usually and on most of the cases on the laptop’s keyboard, you should have an Fn button and a Touchpad button situated in the upper side of the keyboard.
- Press and hold on the Fn button and the Touchpad button in order to toggle it on and off.
Note that this feature is not available on all Windows laptops.
2. Use a third-party app
- Download TouchFreeze
- Follow the installation wizard to install it on your system
- After the installation is complete an icon will appear in your system tray. This program will disable your touchpad but only when it detects typing on the keyboard.
3. Disable the touchpad
- Right-click on the Start Button and select Device Manager
- Expand the Human Interface Devices list
- Find the touchpad driver (note the name might be different on your device)
- Right-click on the device and select Disable device
4. Turn off the touchpad from Windows Settings
- Open Windows Settings (shortcut Win + I)
- Go to Devices > Touchpad
- Either use the on/off rocker switch to turn the touchpad off or untick the box to automatically turn it off when a mouse is connected
Laptop touchpad fixes and tips on Windows 10
If you are an advanced user, you can try to access your touchpad’s advanced options and personalize its functionalities to your needs.
You can also encounter some issues with your touchpad random freeze or touchpad simply not working. This is not a problem as there are lots of fixes on the internet and we have some as well. Just check our fix guide for ‘touchpad freezes’ problem or for ‘touchpad not working’ issues.
You have above four quick methods to turn off the laptop’s touchpad in a Windows operating system environment. For any questions on these methods don’t hesitate to write us below in the comment section of the page.
FAQ: Common touchpad questions
- Why can’t I disable my touchpad?
If you’ve tried all the methods listed in this guide, then log in with an administrator account or uninstall the touchpad driver.
- How do I turn off the touchpad on my laptop?
Open Windows Settings and follow the instructions shown at step 4 of our guide.
- How do I disable touchpad on Windows 10?
You can disable the driver from Device Manager, by following the steps listed above.
- How do I turn off touchpad when the mouse is plugged in Windows 10?
You can do this from the Settings menu as this is a feature that is baked into Windows 10. Just follow our quick guide and you can enable this feature.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.