Many Windows 10 users while working on their laptops are accidentally touching the laptop’s touchpad thus making the mouse cursor move. By following the tutorial below you can learn how to turn off the touchpad and also from where you can activate it again if you ever want to switch from the classical mouse to the touchpad again in Windows.
How do I turn off the touchpad in Windows 10?
1. Use the functions keys
- Usually and on most of the cases on the laptop’s keyboard, you should have an Fn button and a Touchpad button situated in the upper side of the keyboard.
- Press and hold on the Fn button and the Touchpad button in order to toggle it on and off.
Note that this feature is not available on all Windows laptops.
2. Use a third-party app
- Download TouchFreeze
- Follow the installation wizard to install it on your system
- After the installation is complete an icon will appear in your system tray. This program will disable your touchpad but only when it detects typing on the keyboard.
3. Disable the touchpad
- Right-click on the Start Button and select Device Manager
- Expand the Human Interface Devices list
- Find the touchpad driver (note the name might be different on your device)
- Right-click on the device and select Disable device
4. Turn off the touchpad from Windows Settings
- Open Windows Settings (shortcut Win + I)
- Go to Devices > Touchpad
- Either use the on/off rocker switch to turn the touchpad off or untick the box to automatically turn it off when a mouse is connected
Laptop touchpad fixes and tips on Windows 10
If you are an advanced user, you can try to access your touchpad’s advanced options and personalize its functionalities to your needs.
You can also encounter some issues with your touchpad random freeze or touchpad simply not working. This is not a problem as there are lots of fixes on the internet and we have some as well. Just check our fix guide for ‘touchpad freezes’ problem or for ‘touchpad not working’ issues.
You have above four quick methods to turn off the laptop’s touchpad in a Windows operating system environment. For any questions on these methods don’t hesitate to write us below in the comment section of the page.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you’ve tried all the methods listed in this guide, then log in with an administrator account or uninstall the touchpad driver.
Open Windows Settings and follow the instructions shown at step 4 of our guide.
You can disable the driver from Device Manager, by following the steps listed above.
You can do this from the Settings menu as this is a feature that is baked into Windows 10. Just follow our quick guide and you can enable this feature.