Fix This: Touchpad Freezes on Windows 10, 8.1
Upgrading from Windows 8 or any kind of previous version of Windows to Windows 10 and 8.1 can be a very good thing as you can have access to all kinds of useful apps but as always you might have some incompatibilities and errors in the process, if your laptops touchpad freezes after the upgrade to Windows 10, 8.1 then this is the tutorial you should read.
The touchpad could freeze in Windows 10 and 8.1 because you might not have the necessary driver installed to work properly on Windows 8.1 or maybe that a driver compatible with Windows 10 8.1 for your touchpad is not yet available on the market. Nevertheless, we will see a few rows below a few tips on what we can do to fix the touchpad if it freezes during your use of Windows 8.1 and 10 operating system.
How to fix touchpad if it freezes or not working in Windows 8.1
1. First option we have is to run the Windows 8.1 troubleshooter:
- Press and hold on the keyboard the buttons “Windows” and “X”.
- Click(left click) on “Control Panel”.
- Click(left click) on “View By” in the upper right corner of the window and then click(left click) on “Large Icons”.
- Click(left click) on “troubleshooting”.
- Click(left click) on “View all” icon on the left of the window.
- Now you only need to run the “Hardware and devices” troubleshooter and Windows 8.1 will find and fix any issues regarding your laptops devices.
- Reboot the Windows 8.1 PC and see if the touchpad works now.
2. Second option is to check for a driver compatible with Windows 8.1:
For this, you will need to access the manufacturer’s website and look for a touchpad driver that is compatible with your Windows 8.1 system. Install the driver if you find it and reboot the Windows 8.1 device.
3. Third option:
- Download any previous driver you had for your touchpad for Windows 7 device or look in the laptop’s CD for it and install it.
- Next thing we will do is run a compatibility mode and set it as a Windows 7 driver.
- Click(right click) the drivers installation file and select from there “Properties” feature.
- In the “Properties” window click(left click) on the “Compatibility” tab presented in the upper side of the window.
- You will need to place a checkmark in the “Run this program in compatibility mode” feature.
- Click(left click) on the drop-down menu under “Run this program in compatibility mode” and click(left click) on Windows 7 or whichever Operating system you have the driver for.
- Click(left click) on “OK” in the lower side of the window.
- Now run the executable file of the driver and install it as you normally would.
- Reboot the Windows 8.1 PC.
- See if the touchpad freezes after the reboot.
How to fix touchpad issues in Windows 10
If you experience various touchpad issues on your Windows 10 laptop, this is quite easy to fix. You have to try multiple easy solutions that will fix this issue for sure. These would be:
- Reinstall the touchpad driver
- Install the latest drivers
- Roll back to an older driver
- Enable ELAN
- Enable ETD service
- Use the Hardware Troubleshooter
- Set the touchpad to No Delay
- Disconnect other USB devices
- Change Power Management options
- Run the SFC scan
You if you already know how to perform these actions, you’re lucky. If you do not, you are also lucky as we have the step-by-step guide for each of these fixes to try in this dedicated article. If you encounter problems with the functionality of your left or right touchpad clicks, we managed to write a great guide in order to fix this issue.
Above are the four options you have to take in order to fix your touchpad freezing issue on Windows 10, 8.1, if we find out anything else on this subject we will let you know as soon as possible. Also for any thoughts on this issue please write us below in the comments section of the page.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2014 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
Firefox has announced that it will start to warn users if they visit any breached sites. This is in an attempt to not only make […]
Oh dear. It’s been a pretty bad month for Microsoft concerning its Windows 10 October 1809 Update release. Microsoft eventually released the update a couple […]
Yesterday, Microsoft released Visual Studio 15.9. With it came the announcement that “developers now have the officially supported SDK and tools for creating 64-bit ARM […]