- If you're not really a fan of uTorrent, but still got it as a side dish when downloading another app, worry not - there are ways to remove it.
- Check out this step-by-step guide to completely uninstall uTorrent and all of its leftovers from your PC.
- Plus, you have specialized software that can help you remove unused files and software from your computer.
- You can check the registry and delete the application and the temporary files left behind.
Software trickery is quite common among third-party applications. Some of them will hide additional applications in plain sight and install all kinds of unwanted software (Windows 10 does it too).
uTorrent is one of the most popular torrent clients worldwide and a good chunk of third-party installers will offer it to users as an extra.
The problem here is, of course, the fact that some people don’t want it. Once installed in that manner, it’s not as simple to remove it as it should be.
Therefore, we enlisted two ways to remove it, so make sure to check them out if you want uTorrent out of the picture.
How to uninstall uTorrent from Windows 10 PC
1. Use a third-party tool
Let’s begin with the simplest way to remove software out there – we’re talking about specialized removal tools, of course.
There is a famous optimizing software that can remove any application with a few clicks. CCleaner is a multi-functional solution that can do much for your system performance.
Using this cleaning tool it’s possible to clear out unused programs or software files from the system, eliminating clutter and freeing up significant memory.
You can best utilize this PC cleaner to remove junk files or residual files from uninstalled programs. Plus, it’s possible to select certain programs to remove from your system.
Additionally, the software will delete browsing data and cookies from your current browser and speed up your online activities.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Update all your software with 1 click
- Driver updater tool with 25+ million driver files
- Cleaning useless files and outdated software
- Patented registry cleaner functionality
- Faster startup tools
- Delete browsing history regularly
2. Clean registry entries and delete the application manually
Downloading and installing uTorrent from the official website will place it with the other applications in the Program Files folder. You should be able to find it in the Control Panel and uninstall it with ease.
However, that’s not the case when the application comes as a secondary on some third-party application installation. You’ll be offered uTorrent and a lot of users will install it by accident.
The installer will place the uTorrent in a different unconventional location, without asking you where you want it. Which makes it a classical PUP (Potentially Unwanted Program) and not a deliberately-chosen torrent client.
With that in mind, you’ll have to get your hands dirty in order to remove it. There are two things you’ll need to consider. Firstly, we’ll need to remove all registry entries associated with uTorrent. Secondly, we’ll need to find where the application is installed and remove the complete folder.
Here’s how to remove registry entries:
- Right-click on the Taskbar and open Task Manager.
- Look for uTorrent under Processes and terminate all related running processes.
- In the Windows search bar, type Regedit, right-click on the Registry Editor and run it as admin.
- Click on the File and then Export to back up the Registry.
- Now, press Shift + F to open the elevated Search bar.
- Type uTorrent and click Find Next. It’s important not to remove anything unrelated to uTorrent.
- Remove all uTorrent entries and close the Registry Editor.
- Restart your PC.
And this is how to find out the installation path for the rogue uTorrent:
- Open the File Explorer and type uTorrent in the Search bar.
- Find the main installation folder and delete it. You might need administrative permission to do so.
- Restart your PC.
There you go – you should be able to uninstall uTorrent nicely and easily using these simple methods.
Preparing for a big clean-up? Team up with the best uninstaller tools to wipe out all the PUPs in no time.
Take a look at our Tech Guides for more handy tips and tricks.
Let us know how it worked for you via the comments section below.