- Uplay is Ubisoft's game distribution service. Similarly to Valve's Steam or EA's Origin, you can purchase, install and play games from the Uplay launcher.
- Several users have taken to the forums in search of information about why their Uplay avatar is not updating in the launcher, or they are experiencing long waiting times for this update to come through. Today we're taking a look at the cause and how to fix it,
- Ubisoft is among our favourite game publishers, and we eagerly await all their new releases. This means that Uplay is always running on our machines. If you're the same, you might, from time to time, experience issues with the launcher. For all fixes and guides, be sure to bookmark our Uplay page where we post articles on a regular basis.
- Are you having issues with other game launchers? We have a hub dedicated to gaming launchers where you can find all the latest news and fixes!
Besides the ability to buy and download games, DLCs, and read news, you can also chat with friends.
This is thanks to Uplay’s built-in messenger, where you can choose a nickname and an avatar to stand out.
The problem is that some users are reporting that their avatars aren’t updating when in-game.
I noticed recently that some people have actual pictures for their profile pic now, instead of that silly Uplay avatar. I went to change mine yesterday and it still shows my avatar in game instead of the pic I chose.
Apparently, the problem persisted more than 24h after the avatar was changed as well.
What to do if my Uplay avatar isn’t updating?
- Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc, which will open the Task Manager
- Select the Uplay entry
- Press the End Task button, in the bottom-right corner
- Right-click the Uplay icon from either your desktop or Start Menu
- Select Open file location
- The default location is:
C:/Program Files(x86)/Ubisoft/Ubisoft Game Launcher
- Change the name of the cache folder
- Launch Uplay again and see if your issue persists
If you also tried clearing your Uplay cache and the new avatar doesn’t load, you could try one more thing.
2. Change your Ubisoft avatar from within the browser as well
You could also visit your official Ubisoft profile account, and change the avatar from there as well. For this purpose, we’d recommend using UR Browser.
UR Browser is similar to Chrome in terms of functionality, but it focuses heavily on user privacy and security.
UR browser already has a built-in malware scanner for downloaded files, and there is both tracking and phishing protection available.
If you need an additional layer of security, there’s a built-in VPN as well.
If neither of the solutions listed above work, do not hesitate to contact official Ubisoft support.
Having some other problems with Uplay? Sound off in the comments section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Go to the Ubisoft Club. Click on your avatar and from the dropdown menu, click on your avatar again and you will be able to change your picture to one from the gallery or you upload your own.
Follow the steps listed in our guide and you will clear the Uplay cache in seconds.
Whilst Uplay is a free game distribution software from Ubisoft, there is a subscription service called Uplay+ where you will to pay $14.99/month and be able to download & play games from the store at no additional cost.
Ubisoft is the parent company, a game publisher and Uplay is the software which allows you to purchase and download games from the Ubisoft store.