If we’re talking about gaming, peripherals problems are the most common.
That’s because when you play games, you tend to overuse your peripherals and push them to the limit. And that’s ok, because you get some kind of use out of them.
But what do you do when your keyboard stops working for no reason at all?
That’s a pretty annoying situation, and exactly the issue that many Uplay gamers reported more often than not. Many of them said that when playing a game on their Windows 10 PC, the keyboard simply stops responding.
If you’ve bumped into the same problem, keep reading to find out how to solve it.
How can I fix the keyboard if it stops working in Uplay games?
1. Common checks
- If you’re using a wired keyboard, make sure that nothing’s wrong with the cable.
- Plug in your keyboard in another USB port.
- If you’re using a Bluetooth keyboard, make sure that it didn’t disconnect from your PC.
- Check the battery level of the keyboard.
- Go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot > scroll down until you see Keyboard > click on it > click on Run the troubleshooter. If there’s a problem with the keyboard, the Keyboard troubleshooter may be able to fix it.
2. Disable overlays
It seems like Uplay and Ubisoft games don’t get along very well with overlays.
If you’re using Discord, Mumble, or Twitch, make sure to disable their overlays. Whenever the issue happens, check your background apps and overlays because one of them is probably the cause.
Many Uplay gamers solved the problem by disabling the Discord overlay. We recommend you to try it as well, as it may solve your problem.
3. Start the game with administrative rights
- If you’re experiencing the problem in a certain game, close it. Also close Uplay.
- Now go to the installation folder of the game.
- Right-click on its shortcut (game.exe) and click on Run as administrator.
- The game should start normally and your keyboard problem should be gone.
Keep in mind that this is only a workaround and you’ll have to repeat it every time you open the game. If you want a more permanent fix, you can set the game to always start with administrative rights:
- Locate the game‘s shortcut and right-click on it.
- Select Proprieties.
- Now click on the Compatibility tab.
- Under Settings, check the Run this program as an administrator option.
- Click Apply and then OK.
4. Update your keyboard driver
- In your Windows search box type device and click on the first result. Alternatively, you can press the Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
- In Device Manager, locate your keyboard driver and right-click it.
- Now click on Update driver.
- In the window that appears, click on Search automatically for updated driver software.
- When a new driver is found, install it.
You can also try to reinstall the Uplay client, but a lot of users have already tried that with no success. Your best bet is to run the game with administrative right or disable overlays.
After following these steps, your keyboard should work just fine in Uplay and in Ubisoft games.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to reach for the comments section below.
- Your mic is not working in Uplay? Here’s what you can do
- Move Uplay games to another drive/computer in two easy steps
- Uplay chat not working? Try these simple solutions