- The VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED error happens due to GPU driver problems.
- A third-party BSoD fixer will easily get rid of the troublesome bugcheck error message.
- Make sure you download the latest GPU drivers by following our quick solution below.
- You can also use our method to change your TdrDelay value for a fast VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED fix.
Blue Screen of Death errors are one of the most serious errors on Windows 10, and these types of errors can cause a lot of problems.
Since these errors can be quite problematic, today we’re going to show you how to fix the MSDN bugcheck VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED error.
VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED error can be problematic and cause crashes on your PC. Speaking of this error, here are some similar issues that users reported:
- 0x117 video_tdr_timeout_detected – Sometimes this error can have a certain number code assigned to it. However, you should be able to fix the problem by using one of our solutions.
- Nvlddmkm.sys video_tdr_timeout_detected – This issue can sometimes be caused by your Nvidia drivers, and in order to fix the problem, simply update them to the latest version and check if that solves the issue.
- Video_tdr_timeout_detected windows 7 – This error can appear on other versions of Windows, and if you encounter it, you just have to make a couple of changes in your registry to fix it.
- Dxgkrnl.sys Microsoft corporation video_tdr_timeout_detected – Sometimes a specific driver might be causing this error to appear. To fix the problem, simply update your drivers and check if that helps.
How can I fix BSoD error VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED?
1. Use a third-party BSoD fixer
Blue screens are errors that can ruin somebody’s day at work or during light use of their device. It is important to prevent and repair such errors whenever possible.
Restoro is powered by an online database that features the latest functional system files for Windows 10 PCs, allowing you to easily replace any elements that can cause a BSoD error.
This software can also help you by creating a restore point before starting the repairs, enabling you to easily restore the previous version of your system if something goes wrong.
This is how you can fix registry errors using Restoro:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the application.
- Wait for the software to identify stability issues and possible corrupted files.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
As soon as the fixing process is completed, your PC should work without problems, and you will not have to worry about BSoD errors or slow response times ever again.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
2. Downgrade your graphic card drivers
- Click on Start.
- Select Control Panel.
- Click on System and Security, then System.
- After, select Device Manager.
- Then, maximize the Display Adapters list.
- Double-click on your NVIDIA GPU.
- Select the Driver Tab.
- Click on Roll Back Driver, then restart your device.
Although using the latest drivers is important for system stability, sometimes the latest drivers might have certain bugs causing BSoD errors and other instability issues.
3. Download the latest drivers
Drivers are important part of your operating system because drivers are used by your hardware and Windows 10 alike.
If your drivers are outdated or if they have certain bugs, Windows 10 won’t be able to recognize the hardware associated with those drivers.
We recommend using a third-party program to automatically update any drivers easily. You just need to install it and let it run its course, and you’ll have the latest drivers installed in no time.
4. Change the TdrDelay value
- Press Windows Key + R on your keyboard and enter Regedit.
- Press Enter or click OK.
- Once Registry Editor opens navigate to:
- Check if you have TdrValue DWORD in the right pane.
- If no such entry is available, you need to create it.
- To create a new DWORD right click the empty space in the right pane and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Enter TdrDelay as the name of the new DWORD.
- Double click the new TdrDelay DWORD and set its Value Data to 8, or even 10.
- Click OK and close Registry Editor.
Windows has a special value in the registry called TdrDelay, and this value is designed to check how long does it take for your graphic card to respond.
If the graphic card doesn’t respond within the set time frame, the graphic card driver will crash and restart itself.
According to users, you can fix the VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED BSoD error by changing the TdrDelay by following these steps:
5. Slightly overclock your graphic card
Overclocking your hardware can increase your performance, but it can also cause your PC to produce more heat, and if you’re not careful you can even burn and permanently damage your hardware.
Few users reported that they fixed the VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED Blue Screen of Death error by increasing the board’s power slightly over 100%.
Increasing the power of your board is always risky, therefore we advise you to do it gradually.
Once again, overclocking is potentially dangerous and it can cause permanent damage to your PC, therefore be extra cautious if you decide to overclock your graphic card.
6. Underclock your RAM
Underclocking is a similar procedure to overclocking, but instead of increasing the performance of your hardware by changing its settings, you’re going to slightly decrease the performance of your RAM.
Few users reported that the BSoD error was fixed after reducing the frequency of DDR3 RAM from 2400 MHz to 1600 MHz.
Underclocking your RAM is fairly simple, and you can usually do it right from BIOS.
For detailed instructions on how to underclock your RAM and access BIOS, we advise you to check your motherboard manual.
Bear in mind that underclocking comes with certain risks as well, therefore caution is advised.
7. Check your cooling and clean your PC from dust
Overheating is the common cause for BSoD errors, therefore it’s important to check if your fans are working properly.
Sometimes your fans can get clogged by dust, so it’s advised that you clean your PC and all its fans with pressured air. If the problem still persists, you might need to install better cooling.
8. Check for faulty hardware
BSoD errors can caused by your hardware, therefore we advise you to check if your hardware is working properly.
Any recently installed hardware can cause these types of errors, therefore if you installed any new hardware we urge you to remove it or replace it.
If the problem isn’t caused by any new hardware, be sure to check for faulty hardware components.
Users reported that replacing their graphic card fixed the problem, so it’s a good idea to check your graphic card first.
9. Install the latest updates
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings app.
- Navigate to Updates & Security section.
- Click Check for updates button.
If your PC keeps crashing due to VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED error, the problem might be a missing update. Sometimes, there might be glitches with your system.
By default, Windows 10 automatically installs the missing updates, but sometimes you might miss an update or two. However, you can always check for updates manually by doing the following:
If any updates are available, they will be downloaded automatically in the background. Once the updates are installed, check if the problem is resolved.
10. Perform a System Restore
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore.
- Choose Create a restore point option from the menu.
- System Properties window will now appear.
- Click the System Restore button.
- When System Restore window opens, click Next.
- Now you’ll see a list of restore points.
- If available, check Show more restore points checkbox.
- Select the desired restore point and click Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the restoration process.
If this error started appearing recently, it’s possible that it’s caused by a problematic driver or an update. To fix this error, we advise you to perform System Restore.
If you’re not familiar, System Restore allows you to restore your system and fix various problems. To perform system restore, do the following:
Once you restore the system, check if the problem is still there. However, keep an eye for driver and system updates. I
f the problem appears again, it’s possible that a specific update is causing this issue, so you need to block Windows 10 from installing the update.
VIDEO_TDR_TIMEOUT_DETECTED error is usually caused by your graphic card, but we hope that you managed to fix this error by using one of our solutions.
Feel free to tell us if the solutions worked, and any other feedback regarding the subject in matter, in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
The TDR error message is a serious problem. You should follow the solutions in our thorough article dedicated to fixing the BSoD error message if you want to learn how to fix it.
A bugcheck is an error encountered by your Windows. Take a look at our useful guide dedicated to fixing the computer bugcheck errors to learn everything about the error.
There are many TDR errors that cause BSoD in Windows 10. To solve it, read this detailed article dedicated to solving the failure nvlddmkm.sys error.