A set of users have stormed the different online forums saying that for some reason their VMware is not able to copy-paste, or that the clipboard is not working.
This issue, even though it might seem trivial, can impact the way you use your VM inside VMware dramatically. Not being able to copy-paste the information to your VM, or from your VM, can mean that you have to spend crazy amounts of time manually copying the information.
This implies a lot of wasted time, and it is not recommended, no matter for which reason you’re using VMware.
In today’s article, we will explore some of the best-proven methods to deal with this issue. Please be aware that the methods in this list will be ordered from the least to the most invasive.
Read on to find out more details, and don’t forget to check if the issue is solved after each of the possible solutions.
VMware clipboard not working? Try these methods
1. Run VMware with administrator privileges
To try this out, you will need to first completely exit your VMware app (Workstation or Player), then right-click the executable file, and choosing Run as administrator.
If this method didn’t help, please follow the next ones.
2. Disable the folder sharing feature
This is done to protect you from any key loggers, or other pishing tools found in the online environment.
To try this out, please follow these steps:
1. Open VMware -> navigate to the Settings of your problematic VM.
2. Under the Options tab -> select Shared Folders from the right-side menu.
3. Disable the Shared Folders option by ticking the corresponding box.
3. Suspend and resume VM
1. Open your VMware application -> select your VM.
2. Enter your VM settings menu -> select Power.
3. Choose the option Suspend.
4. Close and then restart your virtual machine.
5. Select your VM -> choose Resume.
6. Your clipboard should work now, if it doesn’t, please try the next method.
4. Uninstall and reinstall VMware Tools
In some cases, a corrupted VMware Tools installation can cause issues with your VM. To make sure that this is not the case here, it is recommended that you remove it, and then reinstall it.
We explored some of the best-proven methods to solve the issue caused by your clipboard not working inside VMware.
Please make sure to follow the suggested methods carefully to avoid any other complications.
Feel free to let us know if you found this guide useful by using the comment section below.