- Every time you go online, an entire audience activates to track your every move.
- If you add VPNs leaking IP addresses to the mix, the story quickly escalates into a nightmare. Keep unwanted access, prying eyes, and snoops of all kinds at bay with a trusted VPN solution from our guide.
- Read up everything that is worth knowing about these tools from our VPN Software Hub.
- Explore our Security Solutions as well to stay protected at all times.
Privacy is a big issue in today’s world. Every time you connect to the Internet, a plethora of trackers activate and watch your every move.
Many users installed various software solutions that block third-parties and prying eyes from following their online activities. VPN tools are probably the most popular privacy solution but did you know that 16% of VPNs are actually leaking your IP address?
Some VPNs fail to protect your privacy
Security researcher Paolo Stagno recently analyzed a hundred VPN providers and found that quite a significant percentage of them fail to mask your location.
16% of the tested VPNs and Proxies services disclosed the real IP address of the visitors making the users traceable.
Stagno also revealed the list of the VPN tools that fail to protect user privacy, which includes:
- BolehVPN (USA Only)
- ChillGlobal (Chrome and Firefox Plugin)
- Glype (Depends on the configuration)
- Hola!VPN Chrome Extension
- HTTP PROXY navigation in browser that support Web RTC
- IBVPN Browser Addon
- PHP Proxy
- psiphon3 (not leaking if using L2TP/IP)
- SOCKS Proxy on browsers with Web RTC enabled
- SumRando Web Proxy
- Windscribe Addons
If your VPN is not on this list but you feel it might somehow leak your IP address, go to this page and check if the tool detects your IP and hostname. If this is the case, install a better VPN software.
In case you want to be secure while surfing the internet, you will need to get a full-dedicated tool to secure your network.
Finding the right tool that fits your needs is not an easy task, especially when the very software that was supposed to protect your privacy, gives you away, and leaks your personal data.
A world-leading, trusted VPN provider such as PIA can deliver what it promises and that is extreme privacy, and zero records of your online activity.
Through high powered IP cloaking, your IP address is effectively masked on your entire network and up to 10 devices simultaneously. Tracking devices are thus stopped right on their track.
By hiding your IP address and proactively protecting your identity from being exposed or compromised, PIA helps to keep all unwanted access at bay including hackers, malicious software or people, phishing attacks, and more.
It does this by coupling its IP cloaking function with a huge network of globally spread secure gateway tunnels through which your data is routed, best-in-class encryption, integrated firewalls, and malware blockers.
Fully packed with a DNS Leak Test, IPv6 Leak Test, and Email Leak Test, this trusted VPN solution has nothing to hide or to share. Literally.
Due to its strict no-logs policy, you can browse, download content, stream, enjoy gaming, and any other online activity you might think of without worrying about data leaks or your activity being monitored or tracked.
Since there are no records stored, there is nothing to share, not with your ISP, not with the government, not with anyone.
Let’s quickly look at its key features:
- Secure VPN Account
- Encrypted WiFi
- P2P and Streaming support
- Supports WireGuard, PPTP, OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and SOCKS5 Proxy included
- Protects up to 10 devices simultaneously
- Block ads, trackers, and malware
- Multiple VPN gateways (3292 servers spread across 46 countries)
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- No traffic logs
- Instant setup and easy to use interface
Private Internet AccessNo data leaks, no logs, no compromise. Surf the web and experience true privacy with PIA VPN!
If you want to keep your private information private, then you should really use the best security software available on the market, such as Private Internet Access.
What’s your weapon of choice to keep snoopers at bay? Reach out for the comment section below and share your experience with us.
FAQ: Learn more about data leakages and VPNs
- How do I know if my VPN is leaking IP address?
You can check on sites like What Is My IP Address before and after having launched your VPN connection or simply use this page and check if the tool detects your real IP and hostname.
- How do I stop IP leaks?
Make sure you are using a trusted VPN solution, installed from a trusted, official source. Look for software that openly guarantees no data leakages such as Private Internet Access.
- Can police track VPN?
Indeed, they can (along with other third-parties) through the data accessed by your ISP. You can prevent this by using a VPN solution that does not keep any logs – this being the most effective way to guarantee that your data is tracking-free.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in March 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in May 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.