SOLVED: WD My Passport Ultra is not detected in Windows 10
What to do if Windows 10 doesn’t detect WD Passport Ultra HDD
- Connect the Drive With Alternative USB Cable
- Open the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
- Plug the My Passport Ultra HDD into the laptop or desktop
- Adjust the Path and Drive Letter for WD My Passport Ultra
- Check the Drive’s File System With EaseUS Partition Manager
- Update USB Controller and WD My Passport Ultra Device Drivers
WD My Passport Ultra is an external hard drive that users can utilize with Windows 10 desktops and laptops. However, some users have stated that their connected desktops and laptops don’t detect the WD My Passport Ultra drives.
Consequently, the drive is not recognized and doesn’t appear in Windows 10 File Explorer. These are a few potential resolutions that might fix WD My Passport Ultra when it’s not detected.
How to Fix WD My Passport Ultra not Detected
1. Connect the Drive With Alternative USB Cable
First, try connecting My Passport Ultra to the desktop or laptop with an alternative USB cable. It might be the case that the USB cable is faulty. If so, changing the cable will probably fix the issue.
In addition, connect the My Passport Ultra drive with an alternative USB slot. Some users have stated that the drive is recognized when they connect it via USB 2.0 slots, but it isn’t detected when connected with USB 3.0 ports. So the issue might be due to one of the USB controllers.
2. Open the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter
The Hardware and Devices troubleshooter detects and fixes external hardware issues. So that’s a troubleshooter worth noting when a device isn’t recognized. This is how users can open that troubleshooter within Windows.
3. Plug the My Passport Ultra HDD into the laptop or desktop
- Open the Cortana app by pressing the Type here to search button on the taskbar.
- Enter the keyword ‘troubleshoot’ in the search box.
- Click Troubleshoot to open a list of troubleshooters listed within Settings.
- Then select Hardware and Devices and press the Run the troubleshooter button.
- The troubleshooter will open and might provide a fix for the My Passport Ultra HDD. Press the Apply this fix button to apply suggested resolutions.
4. Adjust the Path and Drive Letter for WD My Passport Ultra
- Windows might detect My Passport Ultra when users change its drive letter and path. To do that, Open the Run dialog by pressing the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Enter ‘diskmgmt.msc’ in Run, and click the OK button.
- Next, right-click the WD My Passport Ultra drive on the Disk Management window and select the Change Drive Letter and Paths option.
- To assign a drive letter, click Add and select the Assign the following drive letter option. Then select a drive letter from the drop-down menu.
- Alternatively, users can click the Change button to select an alternative drive letter.
- Then press the OK button to apply the new drive letter.
- Restart Windows 10 after modifying the drive letter.
5. Check the Drive’s File System With EaseUS Partition Manager
The file system on the My Passport Ultra drive might be corrupted. Users can check for and fix corrupted system files with the EaseUS Partition Master software. Click Free Download on the software’s webpage to add the freeware EaseUS partition software to Windows.
After installing the software, plug the My Passport Ultra HDD into the desktop or laptop. Open EaseUS Partition Master and right-click the My Passport Ultra drive to select Check File System. A Check File System window will then open. Click the Start button to check the file system.
6. Update USB Controller and WD My Passport Ultra Device Drivers
Refreshing device drivers often fixes devices that aren’t recognized. In this case, users might need to update USB controller or the My Passport Ultra drivers. Driver updater software provide a quick and straightforward way to scan for antiquated or corrupted drivers that need updating.
Driver Booster 6 detects and updates millions of drivers. So that’s one of the best software for updating drivers. Click the Free Download button below to save the installer that users can install Driver Booster 6 with.
When users launch Driver Booster 6, it will scan for and list drivers that need updating or replacing. The software lists drivers as outdated, missing, or faulty. It might list USB controllers or the My Passport Ultra HDD as devices with drivers that need updating. Press the Update Now button to update the drivers.
If none of the above resolutions fix WD My Passport Ultra when it’s not detected, the drive might need repairing. My Passport Ultra comes with a three-year warranty. As such, users can return the external hard drive to Western Digital for potential repairs within that warranty period.
RELATED ARTICLES TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: USB 3.0 External Drive not Detected in Windows 10, 8.1, and 7
- Fix: Reconnect your drive on Windows 10
- What to do if Xbox One won’t recognize external hard drive
Twitter is the social media platform used for distributing short messages across the world. A platform that allows us to tweet whatever we wish, be […]
MS Office 2013 users can utilize templates for preformatted documents. However, some Office users have said that a Something went wrong while downloading your template […]
The new Windows Virtual Desktop (WVD) product and strategy announced last year in September is here. Well, the Redmond giant planned to offer an early […]