- WhatsApp Messenger is a popular messaging and VoIP service owned by Facebook. It is cross-platform and is used for sending text and voice messages, make voice and video calls, share location, documents and other media.
- WhatsApp creates special folders, for all the media shared, on mobile devices which can be backed up and synced to OneDrive automatically. Read our guide for more info.
- Take a look at similar articles found in the WhatsApp Hub. You will find news, tips, and guides.
- As a user of the OneDrive app, you should take a look at the OneDrive section on this website to see how to get the most out of it.
WhatsApp for mobile has developed native backup integration features with each platform. WhatsApp Android users can store the chat backup in their Google Drive account, while WhatsApp iOS users can store the backup in their iCloud account.
These settings are available by opening WhatsApp on your phone, going to Settings and Chat backup options.
The backup feature is customizable, which means WhatsApp provides its users the authority to back up their data on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, or even not at all if they disable it from settings. Furthermore, users can disable auto-backup while on mobile data and customize it to start the backup process only when connected to a WiFi network.
Now, what about the other files? All those images, gifs and videos shared with your contacts or received in different group chats? Those files can be automatically uploaded to OneDrive and synced with your other devices.
How can I automatically upload WhatsApp files to OneDrive?
- Install and configure OneDrive app on your phone
- Open the app and click on the Me tab.
- Go to Settings -> Camera upload.
- If you enable Camera upload (or you already have it enabled) every picture taken with the phone will get synced with your OneDrive account.
- Once you confirm your Microsoft account, some more options will be available. We are interested in the Additional folders option. Tap on it.
- From there you will be able to choose the WhatsApp images folder or the WhatsApp video folder.
That’s it. Now, by default, whenever you are connected via WiFi, your WhatsApp files will be synced to OneDrive automatically.
In case you have too many files taking up space, you could always use two separate accounts. You can have one to make photos backup from your mobile phone, and another one for other files from your computer. And you can access them both at the same time on your PC with our guide of using two OneDrive accounts on one computer.
Did it work for you? Leave any questions in the comments below.
FAQ: Learn more about WhatsApp and OneDrive
- Is OneDrive a good backup solution?
The OneDrive service offered by Microsoft is quite a robust backup solution for personal files and folders with a generous 5GB free plan.
- How do I recover lost files on OneDrive?
Go to the OneDrive website and login with your account. There you can select the Recycle Bin and select any files or folders that you want to restore.
- Can you transfer WhatsApp chats to new phone?
If the phone has the same operating system, you can use the built-in cloud chat backup features to restore your chat on the new phone using Google Drive or iCloud.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in October 2016 and has been since revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in October 2016 and was revamped and updated in June 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.