Microsoft’s OneDrive is one of the most popular cloud storage services out there, with millions of users worldwide. However, OneDrive has its downsides, which makes a lot of people complain about Microsoft’s policies for its service.
One of the most requested features for OneDrive is the ability to use multiple accounts in the same folder.
Many users have two or more OneDrive accounts and having everything in one place would definitely save them a lot of time. This also applies to users who want to have more OneDrive space, since Microsoft recently cut it down to 5GB per account.
Despite the high amount of requests, Windows’s OneDrive folder is still not capable of managing multiple accounts, and according to Microsoft, it probably never will be.
But don’t panic, there’s actually a way to use multiple OneDrive accounts in one folder, so you can have content from everywhere in one place, and in this article, we’re going to show you how.
How to use multiple OneDrive accounts in one folder
To be able to use multiple OneDrive accounts on one computer you don’t need any hacks or tricks, all you need to do is to take advantage of OneDrive’s capabilities.
You basically just need to share content from another OneDrive account to yourself, and you’ll be able to access everything from a single folder.
Sometimes, some connection issues can ruin your experience. Furthermore, you wont even be able to set up multiple account. If you experience this, we’ve written extensively about OneDrive connection problems and how to solve them.
Here’s what you need to do if you want to set up multiple accounts:
- First, log in your ‘secondary’ OneDrive account on the website.
- Create a new folder, we’ll call it ‘Shared’ .
- Move all content from your OneDrive account to the new folder you just created.
- Select that folder, and go to Share option.
- Select Email, and send the folder to your primary Microsoft Account.
- Now you shared the folder with yourself, so you need to log in to your ‘primary’ Microsoft Account, and accept the shared folder from your email client.
- Once you accept the shared folder, it will appear in the OneDrive folder on your computer, as well as in the web version, and you’ll be able to access all content from your secondary OneDrive account from one place.
There you go, you had to do it ‘the other way,’ but you’re now able to use multiple OneDrive accounts on one computer. In case you want to sync more than two accounts, just repeat steps from above for each account individually.
If you issues like two copies of the same file, you can follow the steps in this article to solve them. In the particular case that your OneDrive folder can’t be found, you may want to take a look at this guide that will help you get it back again.
Alternative option: Use a different cloud storage
Developers confirmed that it is possible to use two different Sync accounts on the same computer as long as each account is on a different user on your computer.
Switching user accounts on your computer will allow you to access each Sync account. Thus you will need to use unique user logins on the same computer.
Here’s how you can use multiple accounts on the same computer:
- Login with your first Windows account user as an Administrator
- Download and install Sync
- Check that you see the Sync app in the Start menu
- Switch Windows accounts now: log in with your second Windows account
- Install Sync on the second Windows user account
- Double-check that you see the Sync app in the second user’s Start menu
This method will allow you then to switch back and forth between the two accounts.
Sync is safe, secure and 100% private, protecting your privacy with end-to-end encryption.
- Sign up free on Sync and get 5GB
Looking for more cloud storage services? We’ve prepared a list with the best ones available right now. Check it out and tell us your opinion about what is the best cloud service and why.
If you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- How to skip the Windows login screen using these two methods
- 7 best external hard drives with cloud access and bonus storage
- 6 best cloud encryption software for Windows PC users [2019 List]
- 8 best free cloud software for Windows
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been since revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.