Microsoft finally released the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, but it seems that more and more issues are being found by users after installing it on their computers. Today, we will talk about the internet speed issue being caused by the new major update and how you can fix it.
In concordance with GHacks, the Window Auto-Tuning feature been introduced in Windows Vista (which is also available in Windows 10) might be responsible for this issue. To fix this problem, you will need to disable it.
The Window Auto-Tuning feature handles programs receiving TCP data over a network in order to improve the performance of processes in charge of these transfers. Unfortunately, the Windows 10 Anniversary Update is messing up this feature and this is causing the internet speed to be very slow.
How To Disable Windows Auto-Tuning Feature
Keep in mind that in order to disable this feature, you will just need to type in a simple command in the Command Prompt window (using administrator privileges) as follows:
- Press Windows key+X and select “Command Prompt (admin)”
- Once the command prompt opens, you will need to write the following command: netsh interface tcp show global
- After you type this command, look for “Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level” and in case it is “normal”, you will need to disable it
- To disable it, type the following command: netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
After doing this, perform an internet speed test to see if you notice any improvements. If after disabling the “Receive Window Auto-Tuning Level” you don’t notice any improvements, you can enable it by typing the following command in the Command Prompt (admin): “netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal” (without “).
If this doesn’t fix your internet speed issue after updating to Windows 10 Anniversary Update, you should look for processes that are using more network connection than usual (such as torrents applications), firewalls or security software.
If you’re still having issues on your PC or you simply want to avoid them for the future, we recommend you to download this tool (100% safe and tested by us) to fix various PC problems, such as file loss, malware and hardware failure.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update causes ink pointer to disappear
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update doesn’t recognize secondary drives
- Windows Vista extended support ending April 2017